Riverside Properties On The Thurne

Broads01

My daughter has recently returned from the Broads and pointed out something that's not struck me before. All of the riverside properties on the approach to Potter Heigham are single story. Is there a planning restriction which specifies this?

I think it might be more to do with foundations etc.

Those buildings are effectively continuously sinking and have to be periodically jacked up and chocked.

I would guess a two-storey building would be really problematic.

• Thanks 1

I know that there is a planning restriction on the height of new properties in riverside areas which I believe has to do with not spoiling the panoramic view over the marshes.

This applies to all cases, unless, of course, you want to build a new visitor centre at Acle Bridge.   :default_eusa_naughty:

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, oldgregg said:

I think it might be more to do with foundations etc.

Those buildings are effectively continuously sinking and have to be periodically jacked up and chocked.

I would guess a two-storey building would be really problematic.

Most of those buildings are 4 storey, only the top storey is left showing after they sunk....

Honest like.

Disclaimer: I may have made that up.

• Haha 6

History of the Helter Skelter's life is on Broadland Memories

Learnt something new there as well: the pier was rebuilt in 1958 so must have been brand new when we visited it September 58 on my first Broads boating holiday.

One memory of the pier was playing a pinball type machine on which you had to stop a traffic light on green to win a roll of Polo Fruits. I won't tell you how I remember this specifically as today I wouldn't dream of doing something similar.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, webntweb said:

One memory of the pier was playing a pinball type machine on which you had to stop a traffic light on green to win a roll of Polo Fruits. I won't tell you how I remember this specifically as today I wouldn't dream of doing something similar.

In my formative years there was a 'ping the ball bearing into the right hole' machine on Felixstowe pier where you could eventually win a single cigarette - I don't know how long they'd been in the machine but you had to keep blowing it out! Imagine the uproar today.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, stumpy said:

In my formative years there was a 'ping the ball bearing into the right hole' machine on Felixstowe pier where you could eventually win a single cigarette - I don't know how long they'd been in the machine but you had to keep blowing it out! Imagine the uproar today.

In my early teens I  remember one of those at a fairground where a lad I knew tried pushing a candy floss stick up the cigarette delivery slot to try and release the mechanism - he succeeded but only to get a mangled cigarette.

Not to be outdone, the next day he returned with a row of ice lolly sticks taped together end to end and returned home with twenty or so cigarettes. I dread to think what would have happened to him if the fairground workers had seen him.

• Haha 1