Thurne Dyke

CeePee1952

1 hour ago, stevebrassett said:

I see Sovereign Light has bow and stern thrusters.  Either they will help you to turn round at the end, or you could reverse out, using the thrusters to correct any "wanders".  Purists won't like this, but if you've got them, use them.

Hi Steve, yes it has but I still won't be turning around down the bottom of that dyke.  Depending on the weather conditions I'll only use them to keep the boat straight if it wanders either going into the dyke in reverse or out of the dyke in reverse, depending how far down we moor.

49 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

I wouldn't think that was what thrusters are meant for, especially at the end of a shallow dyke where there would be weeds and Goodness knows what else, in the water.

I'll only use them if I really have to and to be honest I see thrusters as an aid to mooring/berthing, especially if there's a bit of a "breeze" blowing!

Chris

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CeePee1952 said:

I see thrusters as an aid to mooring/berthing, especially if there's a bit of a "breeze" blowing!

I have found that if it’s too windy the bow thrusters become completely ineffective. That’s happened to me in a number of places including Ranworth and Beccles. 

• Like 4

On 14/07/2021 at 19:39, marshman said:

Same old story seen here too!!!! Do not people realise just how easy it is to turn a boat those bits of string boats have at the bow and stern???

All this to effort and hassle to do it with the engine - I reckon I could turn it on ropes, and probably  in the dyke with most boats in around 2 mins flat and no sweat, hassle or noise at all!!! Boats float and are so easy to turn with ropes if the width is only marginally wider than the boat is long - why do not people realise this? Or do they think it is the macho thing to hammer backwards and forwards causing issues?

I say it so many times but people will not listen!!!!!!!

As you suggested earlier. Some people seem to think it a stigma to been seen turning the boat by ropes.

On 18/07/2021 at 17:21, Vaughan said:

I wouldn't think that was what thrusters are meant for, especially at the end of a shallow dyke where there would be weeds and Goodness knows what else, in the water.

Thurne dyke has private moorings at the end. Not particularly shallow and no weeds.

• Like 1