Interim Accident Report

Bytheriver

4 hours ago, annv said:

I would hate to get on that in the dark is there no anti slip pads or is the photo not showing them, a accident waiting to happen. john

There will be anti-slip built into the moulding. It would not get a hire BSS if it didn't. Whilst I am no expert on the RCD, I would be gobsmacked if this didn't include non-slip decking as a requirement of compliance. 

Fred - thats because we see the only suitable "lifejacket" as the self inflating model, usually the sole method of support in these circumstances. They have two major disadvantages and the one you mentioned is one but the other is the high level of maintenance they require - we always tested ours every three months and it should be a prerequisite before putting one on, that the bottle is checked daily to see if it has not become unscrewed!  It happened more often than you would expect!!

I was once told by a leading water safety instructor here in the UK on an inspection that the most appropriate for Broads use was the vest type used by canoeists - you really do not need to use a self inflating variety designed for offshore passage making as they have potentially, too much buoyancy.

Its your choice but they are very comfortable and require little or no maintenance and would save most lives.

• Like 4

When will people learn that some things in life have inherrent dangers? Boating is one of them. Water will drown you, prope4lers will mince youup and a sevral ton boat will crush you.

Show water no respect and it may well kill you. If that concept frightens you, don't go boating.

People should do their own risk assessments of all situations and act accordingly. We should NOT wait for legislation to keep us safe we should all take our own precautions or accept the consequences.

Water is dangerous. Live with it!

• Like 8

24 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Water is dangerous. Live with it!

I have often heard it said that the sea is your best friend, and your worst enemy.

Somewhere on the forum a few months ago, we discussed an RYA report about propellor guards, part of which I remember quoting, as it made clear that there are three people involved in a water safety situation :

The authority, the hiring company and the hirer (the charterer in law).

They all hold equal responsibility and it was also recommended that it should be made clear by the company to the hirer that he is responsible for his own actions.  The company must make him aware of the dangers but it is his duty to take that advice.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Unfortunately trhe ambiance of the river which rarely if ever seems hostile and the fact that they are "on holliday"  and in a  relaxed state of mind with one thought and that is to have a good time,makes it difficult to see the danger and to take warnings too seriously.

Carole

• Like 1

10 hours ago, marshman said:

Fred - thats because we see the only suitable "lifejacket" as the self inflating model, usually the sole method of support in these circumstances. They have two major disadvantages and the one you mentioned is one but the other is the high level of maintenance they require - we always tested ours every three months and it should be a prerequisite before putting one on, that the bottle is checked daily to see if it has not become unscrewed!  It happened more often than you would expect!!

I was once told by a leading water safety instructor here in the UK on an inspection that the most appropriate for Broads use was the vest type used by canoeists - you really do not need to use a self inflating variety designed for offshore passage making as they have potentially, too much buoyancy.

Its your choice but they are very comfortable and require little or no maintenance and would save most lives.

Yes you are quite right and that was my point, even the most experienced don't always get everything right and a simple mistake could prove fatal, sometimes it is only someone else's intervention that is the difference between a fatality and a mishap.

Fred 

• Like 1