Cockshoot Dyke

Scotty

I have just been reading about it.

I guess it wasn't Facebook that banned it, but the swear filter on a computer.

The name refers of course to Woodcock, which were prolific on the marshes of the Broads in the 19th century and before, long before boating holidays came here.  Serious commercial wild fowling was the way of life on the Broads, hence the number of places called "decoy" where huge nets were put up at the end of a dyke (oops) to capture Mallard duck lured in off a broad by gun dogs.  They were caught hundreds at a time.  There is a decoy broad near horning and there was one on Ranworth inner Broad, among dozens of others. Remember also the Norfolk gun-punt.

These names are a vital part of our history, which would be lost if we just allowed them to be cancelled out by some blasted electronic ROBO - MOD.

• Like 4

Reading a bit more, it seems that Facebook's filters do this because they are based on "American English".  Those two words do not go together as American is not English.  It is an insidious mangling of our language.

As long ago as Mark Twain, Tom Sawyer wrote that we are two great nations : separated by a common language.

• Like 2

I recall a story about a swear filter being introduced at scunthorpe council and they couldn't work out why they got no emails all of a sudden, surely certain combinations can set as exceptions.

I'm with marshman on my faceache attitude, same goes for twatter and instacrud.