Mortimer & Whitehouse: Gone Fishing

CeePee1952

The old mill they showed is just up from Martham Ferry. They were moored at the S bend between Martham Ferry and West Somerton. Its a lovely spot. We see far too many people turn around at Martham Ferry thinking the limit of navigation is just up the river. It's well worth the trip to West Somerton. 

Just now, Wussername said:

I agree PB a lovely stretch of river. Tried it last week but very weedy and decided not to risk it. Went over to Horsey instead.

Andrew

It's such a shame the BA dont do more to keep this navigation open. They decide that the best time to cut the weed is when it grows the fastest when cut and they don't cut it deep enough in my opinion as it grows back thicker and quicker. I'll wait to see the result of the dredging between the ferry and Somerton. 2m depth should be achieved. 

1 minute ago, PeteBelham said:

It's such a shame the BA dont do more to keep this navigation open. They decide that the best time to cut the weed is when it grows the fastest when cut and they don't cut it deep enough in my opinion as it grows back thicker and quicker. I'll wait to see the result of the dredging between the ferry and Somerton. 2m depth should be achieved. 

I was advised by Whispering Reeds to be very careful. These days my days on the river are very precious not to be spoilt by the negligence of others. So, i turned back. Horsey did not dissapoint and my journey across Hickling and back was memorable.