Who Builds Most Boats

Andrewcook

34 minutes ago, SwanR said:

I think we will have to agree to disagree. I've been comparing static caravan prices to boat hires for mid-August next year. Top spec to top spec, middle to middle, sleeps the same number of people etc. The caravans do come out cheaper, just depends what you want out of your holiday. But I think they're comparable.

But would a static caravan get under Wroxham or Potter Higham bridges ?

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, SwanR said:

I think we will have to agree to disagree. I've been comparing static caravan prices to boat hires for mid-August next year. Top spec to top spec, middle to middle, sleeps the same number of people etc. The caravans do come out cheaper, just depends what you want out of your holiday. But I think they're comparable.

They should certainly be, if only for the relative cost of a caravan against a boat. When I was looking at those comparisons a few years ago, I was astonished at the cost of a tin box nestled in a sea of other tin boxes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bikertov said:

But would a static caravan get under Wroxham or Potter Higham bridges ?

That made me laugh but there's a serious side too. You can't compare apples with pears. Whilst it's true both are forms of self-catering holiday accommodation, they're not comparable in terms of what they offer overall.

Havens Perranporth next September, a top of the range 6 berth van has cost us 1000 quid. So not cheap by any means. Andys description of a tin box in a sea of tin boxes is pretty apt. Add in the travelling cost, cost of day's out etc and it will end up being pretty much  the same as a week afloat on a mid range boat I guess. 

11 hours ago, Broads01 said:

That made me laugh but there's a serious side too. You can't compare apples with pears. Whilst it's true both are forms of self-catering holiday accommodation, they're not comparable in terms of what they offer overall.

But that is the point - boats go somewhere, so you accept the shortcomings of luxury 'hotel' accommodation for the fun of the journeys and the wilds of nature.

• Like 3

It has often been said that a Broads hire boat seems expensive compared to other options.  But you are not just hiring a boat - you are paying for a cruising holiday! 

If you hire a caravan or a resort hotel room in Minorca, you then have to go out every day spending money on entertaining yourself and your children.  The cost of all that soon mounts up!

• Like 1

Absolutely Vaughan, we have a approx 6hr car journey each way then the cost of days out. So I doubt it will end up being any cheaper then a week on the broads. The broads are a two hour drive from home, so there and back we dont use half a tank of petrol, we'll if the wife's driving it's a different story ( but il leave that there lol ) 

• Like 1

As has been said already earlier on , The Broads represent excellent value when compared to other boating holiday venues , we looked at holidaying either in Ireland or Scotland as a change and we’re astounded at the increase in costs compared to The Broads.

Many of those online complain about the cost of a Broads holiday but think nothing of blowing £100 on a Saturday night in the pub , if you self cater and bring your own booze then a holiday afloat on The Broads can represent excellent value and the scenery is priceless!!!

• Like 4

The Down side of self catering is that(usually the Wife) doesn't get a break from cooking and washing up,when on the boat we would do breakfast then walk or taxi to eat out early evening, Covid has stopped that! perhaps next year will be back to normal. We certainly won't be going back to flying on holiday and being treated like cattle, have thought about a canal/river holiday on one of those smaller hotel boats, unless the French stop the ferry's. John