Graham (calypso)

Sad to report the passing of our friend Graham, having unusually been moored at Horning for three consecutive days, we called in on him on Saturday morning to see how he was, one look at him had us calling 999 immediately. He was taken to Norwich Hospital and sadly they were unable to save him and despite him having had two jabs and a booster he fell victim to Covid, a kidney transplant, a heart condition and diabetes would not have helped. Loved by some and loathed by others we shall miss him, he would have been 80yrs old next March.

I met Graham on my first trip alone about 3 years ago, following the death of my wife. He helped me moor up at Cockshoot Dyke. We got talking and I discovered he had lost his wife a year previously too. I think he said they were living in Spain when he lost her. He came back to the UK, and purchased Calypso, a past Herbert Woods boat I believe. I found him to be a harmless, rather lonely chap - a kindred spirit at that time. 

• Like 1

I am afraid I never met Graham, as I have been away from the Broads for a while, but I have met a lot of others in that situation, in other waterways of the world, where life, and its consequences, have found them living out their final years with themselves, on a boat.  Free to roam, with their memories, where they wish.

I was raised on a boat on the Broads from age 6 months and for all I know, I might find myself ending my days in the same way.  It depends on "the hand that you are dealt".

I could think of a lot of worse ways to end my days, to be honest.

• Like 16

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

I am afraid I never met Graham, as I have been away from the Broads for a while, but I have met a lot of others in that situation, in other waterways of the world, where life, and its consequences, have found them living out their final years with themselves, on a boat.  Free to roam, with their memories, where they wish.

I was raised on a boat on the Broads from age 6 months and for all I know, I might find myself ending my days in the same way.  It depends on "the hand that you are dealt".

I could think of a lot of worse ways to end my days, to be honest.

Nicely written, Vaughan.

• Like 3