Day Boats Back To Hiring Base

Andrewcook

I've got a gripe with the Swan Inn & Horning Ferry re Day Boats to be staying till 5pm as they have to be back to there Base before 5.30 pm  so therefore the times should change to 3.30 pm for Day Boats as to allow us Boaters to moor up and have our Happy Hour as this should bring in the revenue they really do need I believe?

• Confused 1

Andrew the whole reason they priorities mooring for day boat is its deemed these are the ppl who are spending the money. You'd be surprised by the amount of hirer's that moor at the venue's you've mentioned that never use the pubs/ restaurants. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, andyg said:

Different thing Andrew, very few day boats head to acle or stokesby. Maybe the odd one from bridgecraft. Everyone and the kitchen sink heads to Horning  simple as that unfortunately. 

On our last visit we went from Acle to Wroxham on a rather breezy day. They must have kept the day boats in during the morning because of the weather then at some point decided it was OK, because we suddenly hit a wall of day boats heading South...

Interesting point, Andrew. I don't think all day boats have to be back by 5pm but even so, a 3-30 or 4pm cut off might be a fairer time. Personally though, whilst I enjoy a pub mooring as much as anyone, I always prefer being moored within walking distance rather than right outside so even if the moorings outside were available all the time I wouldn't bother.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Andrewcook said:

I've got a gripe with the Swan Inn & Horning Ferry re Day Boats to be staying till 5pm as they have to be back to there Base before 5.30 pm  so therefore the times should change to 3.30 pm for Day Boats as to allow us Boaters to moor up and have our Happy Hour as this should bring in the revenue they really do need I believe?

Four day boats moored stern on, each with say 6 people on or one cruiser with four people on.  Work out for yourself whether the potential revenue from 24 punters will be more than from one cruiser.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Andrewcook said:

You are quite wrong to suggest that day boats have to be back by 5:30pm. 

There is no ruling whatsoever on this and it is down to each individual operator as to how late into the evening they can have peeps out on day boats (within the legal navigation times, of course). 

Freedom used to operate well into the evening and I know that Bishy Barney Boats does too. I am aware that Barnes used to on occasion and, of course, many properties also have day boats as well. 

Don't fall into the trap that suggests you know what's best for somebody else's business because their current MO doesn't suit you or you can't understand their decision.  

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

The only operators I was aware of that did evening dayboat hire was indeed yourself Andy and I believe hippersons at Beccles do evening hire in the summer month's. No idea why that hasn't caught on up north. Now that would be unbearable if all the yards in Wroxham started evening hire...

13 minutes ago, andyg said:

The only operators I was aware of that did evening dayboat hire was indeed yourself Andy and I believe hippersons at Beccles do evening hire in the summer month's. No idea why that hasn't caught on up north. Now that would be unbearable if all the yards in Wroxham started evening hire...

We gave it up because of people being A holes, but there's actually a lot of demand. One of the key problems with tourism in this country is that EVERYTHING closes by 6pm. Vibrant, bustling tourist hotspots look like it's closed season after 6pm. On a warm summer's evening, there's people wandering around with money to spend and nowhere to go. It's a real shame. 

Bishy has done evening hire for at least two seasons now and I know it's been popular.  I have seen Barnes' boats out in the early evening too. Maybe these were let with cottages?  

• Like 1

Andy, 

I believe Barnes properties of which there are currently 15 have day boats included with the exception of peak season therefore potentially nearly half of Barnes day boats could be out in the evening without evening official hire, assuming they don't do evening hire as well.

Neil

As someone who uses the pubs for all their meals (except breakfast) I don't have a problem who is on the pub moorings day boat or cruiser as long as they are using the pub!

My gripe is punters on these moorings with no intention of spending money in the establishment that maintains them

If I owned one of these pubs I'd charge a reasonable fee and deduct it off the bill! 

I know the New Inn is controversial with it's service charge, but no table booked no mooring! 

• Like 2

Personally I can't understand folk that moor outside a pub and have no intention of using its facilities. If it's a nice evening and we aren't eating out we prefer to mudweight or wild Moor in the peace and quiet. Slide back the roof or sit up top and watch the world go by sharing a bottle of vino 🍷. Apart from having a cocktail at the roof top bar of our favourite hotel I can't think of anything more perfect I genuinely can't. 

• Like 4

I agree andyg. A bottle of wine, preferably red, vintage, a respectable and recognised vintage will do fine. I am available to join you. PM me. To sit on your roof and watch the sun go down. An Edward Segoe evening. I will bring my famous corkscrew, never defeated.

Andrew

• Like 1