Aluminium Window Frames

Time to ask the experts.......

I recently removed one of the leaking windows from my Safari and stripped it down ready to refurbish/reseal etc. 

The black mastic that seals glass to frame had dried out and perished; this I expected and have sourced suitable sealant to rebuild with however, where the frame joins together and over any screw fixings, there was a sticky/gummy type of clear(ish) sealant or adhesive that was a real pain to remove and I can't for the life of me work out what it is and whether it was there originally or something a boatyard may have added to 'cure' leaks? There was a lot of it and it was also seemingly used to stick the rubber pieces that sit in the channels over joints etc too.

Any suggestions as to what it might be would be greatfully recieved. Thanks in advance:)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, WherryNice said:

and have sourced suitable sealant to rebuild with however,

Keeping leaks out of window frames is a bit of a dark art!

I just wanted to make sure you understand that Sikaflex, or any other mastic product that mentions the word "glue" in its description, is not suitable.  It may fix your leak but you will never get the window off again afterwards.

Window seals in a Fibreglass boat move a lot, especially if you hit the bank hard, so they cannot be of a product which drys out solid.

• Like 3

By the way, for general information :

To stop a leak in emergency, run a fillet of normal oil based yacht varnish around the outside edge, and it will enter the joint by capillary action and repel the water as it dries.

Something like International Blue Peter, but not 2 pack or polyurethane, slightly thinned with white spirit.  You can even put it on in the rain and it will stop the leak for quite a long time, maybe a couple of years.

• Like 3