Boat Sales

CeePee1952

Agree with that! In fact the number of s/h boats seems quite low - excluding of course the high powered toys!

The boats are for sale but only for the right price - NBS had an overpriced Benmore on their books year after year and sold it eventually! If they don't sell then they go back into the fleet! Just a way of helping cash flow but few bargains to be had I am afraid.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, andyg said:

Mainly the stock richardsons are selling off.

I think that there are only three ex Richos boat listed.  There is an Alpha 35 cc, which is ex Herbert Woods, but has been private for a while.  We looked at it before buying Norfolk Lady when it was on the market before at NBS.

6 minutes ago, Bikertov said:

I've been keeping a casual eye on boat sales recently, are there are no bargains around for anything reasonably new and in good condition. They are all going for top prices, and some !

How new are you looking for?  With the price of new boats as they are and relatively low depreciation, anything built this century will not be cheap.  I’m convinced that the pandemic and pressure on foreign holidays has been responsible for the rise in prices of used boats and the buoyant market.  If and when things return to ‘normal’, there may be a glut of used craft for sale, which could reflect in the prices, but with continuing concerns over travel, that may be a long time in the future.

If you are serious about buying a boat, you may need to lower your expectations.  There are some lovely older craft on the market from time to time.  For example, a fellow Forum member recently sold a lovely Broom Ocean 30 for very reasonable money recently that will provide its new owner with many pleasurable hours afloat over the coming seasons.

1 hour ago, Mouldy said:

I think that there are only three ex Richos boat listed.  There is an Alpha 35 cc, which is ex Herbert Woods, but has been private for a while.  We looked at it before buying Norfolk Lady when it was on the market before at NBS.

How new are you looking for?  With the price of new boats as they are and relatively low depreciation, anything built this century will not be cheap.  I’m convinced that the pandemic and pressure on foreign holidays has been responsible for the rise in prices of used boats and the buoyant market.  If and when things return to ‘normal’, there may be a glut of used craft for sale, which could reflect in the prices, but with continuing concerns over travel, that may be a long time in the future.

If you are serious about buying a boat, you may need to lower your expectations.  There are some lovely older craft on the market from time to time.  For example, a fellow Forum member recently sold a lovely Broom Ocean 30 for very reasonable money recently that will provide its new owner with many pleasurable hours afloat over the coming seasons.

I also think that there will be a glut of boats for sale once foreign travel is fully up and running again which will only push prices one way.

It is the same for motorhomes and caravans. Prices at the moment are crazy. We bought our motorhome in April and could sell it now for around £10k more than we bought it for from the main dealers. The massive increase in the price of new vans has helped this along. 2022 prices are about £12k more than this years prices :default_blink:

Mind you the cost of everything seems to be flying up at the minute, houses, cars, fuel, food, gas, electric, Where does it stop?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mouldy said:

So it seems that as new boat prices have increased recently, for various excuses / reasons like Brexit / Covid / Time of the Month, so used prices have gone up too.

Ideally, I would like a boat 10-15 years old maximum, and therein lies the problem - the prices are too high !

One the one hand, I completely agree with you that I need to lower my expectations, but on the other I am still in the idealistic stage of my journey to boat ownership.

I know realistically in order to make the most of a boat, I would need to use it the equivalent of 6-10 weeks/ends a year (60+ days ?) and I am not in a position to do that quite yet, because of commitments etc. with my business and family. If those commitments change earlier than expected / planned, I might be willing / able to raise my budget or at least take an initial plunge and make use of a boat as I would like.

So how serious am I  ? 'A bit serious' at the moment, but probably not ready to put down a deposit next week, if that makes sense ?

In this type of environment everyone always complains prices are too high and then proclaim that they will buy when the inevitable glut hits the market and will buy when prices are lower!!

I have had boats for years and I have news for you guys waiting - you will wait forever for prices to fall ! In all the years I have had boats , the price of "Broads" type boats never really falls back and the reason for that is that demand always exceeds supply. OK there may be times when prices slow down or perhaps trend marginally down but there is almost always a demand for that type of boat. Even 25 years ago fleets were shrinking and new boats coming off the stocks were limited - its even more limited these days with literally in overall terms only a handful of new boats being built annually, continuing this shortage that has been evident for many years.

Perhaps I am wrong but don't hold your breath for boat prices to fall back to the levels YOU think they should be!!

• Like 2

I accept prices won't drop - just like property prices don't.

But maybe I am not quite ready to make enough use of a boat to push me to buy one "this week" and feel I am getting good value out of the usage.

I guess sometimes you need to feel it is the right moment to take the next step.