Residential Mooring Setback

Meantime

News from the Rhond suggests that the new owners of The Waveney River Centre are to remove the residential mooring status from the marina. It's a shame for the current residential moorers who will no have to move on and seek hard to find new moorings, but also the previous owners of The WRC had done a lot of work to support the provision of legitimate residential berths. 

I cannot remember the precise details, I'm sure there are some on here somewhere, but when The BA looked at the whole issue of provision of residential berths The WRC was one of the acceptable locations and had provisionally allocated a number of berths.

I'm assuming it is the policy of the new owners and not as a result of any review by The BA. If it is the policy of the new owners then that is quite worrying as they seem to be expanding their ownership on The Broads what with the aquisition and expansion at Oulton Broad, and now The WRC.

A sad day indeed for those wanting to live aboard with the peace of mind and security of a marina berth.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

1 minute ago, marshman said:

Why am I not surprised? Big business usually cares little for the individual boaters, but only about £££££££!!

Whilst that is often true, isn't it fair to say that the mooring fee is the same, therefore they get the same money whether it is a residential berth or not. It could be argued that what they do get is free extra pairs of eyes to keep a look out for the other boats, so surely a bonus for all.

• Like 4

I disagree a little as the mentality differs! Despite him having loads of money, I always found that Len somehow managed to find staff who cared a bit more, whicalways helped.

I doubt whether Tingdene  offer a "caring attitude" - I think many at Brooms may well have the same feeling as before. Its the little things that make the real difference!!!!!

But we shall se....!!!!

35 minutes ago, Meantime said:

Whilst that is often true, isn't it fair to say that the mooring fee is the same, therefore they get the same money whether it is a residential berth or not. It could be argued that what they do get is free extra pairs of eyes to keep a look out for the other boats, so surely a bonus for all.

I did hear from a resident via Facebook the residential moorings were 20% more expensive than standard moorings.  I did ask if he knew why the moorings were being removed but he did'nt seem to know.  I would have thought they were easy money.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Islander said:

So that’s saying a residence can be used as a holiday let then or is it just moorings.

Colin

I'm not sure I fully understand your question?

If you own a home and you want to let it out as a holiday let, then you generally don't need planning permission, because there is no change of use, however if you own a caravan park and you have a number of short term lets, then to increase the number of caravans beyond the number you already have planning for would need a planning application. Likewise if you wanted to allow all year round residential use of the caravans you would need planning permission, but that would give you the ability to let them longer term all year round, but wouldn't mean that you had to.

If you own a home and you want to let it out as a holiday let, then you generally don't need planning permission, because there is no change of use.

That is what I meant and has answered my question.

What I am wondering is by no longer using these moorings for residential use then will they be able to use them in the future for residential use or will the planning permission considered abandoned. It would appear the law on abandonment is as clear as mud.

Colin :default_winko:

• Like 1

I would imagine the right to use as residential would remain until such times as The BA decide that right has been abandoned, but that could be harder to prove as long as the moorings remain in use as moorings. Abandonment would be easier to prove if the moorings weren't used for a number of years at all.

Again I cannot remember the full details but I think the permission to have authorised residential moorings at The WRC were time limited and subject to a review after a certain period. So I guess if they are not being used as residential at the review the right would lapse.

I imagine having residential moorings would alter the rating status of the marina. I remember an occcasion in recent  years when the owners of Hartford marina (since bought  by Tingdene ) had a running battle with the council about rating costs because of the residential floating homes that had been installed on the marina.  I don't know  what the outcome of that was.

Carole

In the Hartford case I believe they got allowed to be residential as long as they still lived there but couldn't sell as residential,  once sold they were just holiday homes, that was for the houseboats that were fixed (not sure about proper boats).

They also got council tax bills, I think hdc caught on that if they kicked them out they'd have to rehouse them.

• Thanks 1

On 14/02/2022 at 09:39, marshman said:

I disagree a little as the mentality differs! Despite him having loads of money, I always found that Len somehow managed to find staff who cared a bit more, whicalways helped.

I doubt whether Tingdene  offer a "caring attitude" - I think many at Brooms may well have the same feeling as before. Its the little things that make the real difference!!!!!

But we shall se....!!!!

We left Brooms because of their awful customer service and arrogance, have found Tingdenes to be total the opposite, every request has been received and acted on in a helpful and professional manner, very happy moorer

• Like 2