Acle Moorings

Hi - we are due on The Broads for a week from 20th May, one of our overnight moorings (before going South for a few days) is likely to be Acle.... (as I am concerned that we will not be able to get in at Stokesby as it may be full when we get there!)... can anyone tell me if they are aware of the latest position re availability and costs to moor on the old Pedros side of the river?

From what I have seen on here and the various Norfolk Broads Facebook groups I am aware Pedros have closed and the land is owned by Richardsons - does anyone know if you can still moor there, are there any fees..... or for that matter any plans people are aware of that may change things?

Thanks a lot in advance..... :default_biggrin:

I shouldn’t think there would be any problem mooring there. We’ve moored at Acle on the free BA moorings on the opposite bank back in November and again in February and we didn’t spot any ‘no mooring’ signs or anything like that. I’ve no idea whether there is anyone still collecting fees from the Pedro’s moorings. The Free BA moorings on the opposite bank are in much better condition anyway, so given a choice they would be my first option.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

I shouldn’t think there would be any problem mooring there. We’ve moored at Acle on the free BA moorings on the opposite bank back in November and again in February and we didn’t spot any ‘no mooring’ signs or anything like that. I’ve no idea whether there is anyone still collecting fees from the Pedro’s moorings. The Free BA moorings on the opposite bank are in much better condition anyway, so given a choice they would be my first option.

Thanks, they would be my first choice too..... again, I am just a bit concerned they will be full when we arrive!

We start our holiday on the 20th, we are starting from bridgecraft Acle. My thoughts exactly on stokesby, so I'm going to stay put at the yard for the 1st night. I want to catch the early morning tide down to Yarmouth. The owner has asked us to vacate the yard early as they have a full turnaround day on the sat and limited space. If we get onboard early enough I may chance a quick run down to stokesby to see if I can get in. Saying that, the price of fuel may stop me from doing that lol...

2 hours ago, andyg said:

We start our holiday on the 20th, we are starting from bridgecraft Acle. My thoughts exactly on stokesby, so I'm going to stay put at the yard for the 1st night. I want to catch the early morning tide down to Yarmouth. The owner has asked us to vacate the yard early as they have a full turnaround day on the sat and limited space. If we get onboard early enough I may chance a quick run down to stokesby to see if I can get in. Saying that, the price of fuel may stop me from doing that lol...

Always plenty of room at Stracey Arms overnight.  I know it’s near a road, but no more so than staying at Bridgecraft.

5 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

Always plenty of room at Stracey Arms overnight.  I know it’s near a road, but no more so than staying at Bridgecraft.

I had thought of that, I'm a light sleeper as well. The stracey Arms would probably be the better option. Gets a bit noisy with lorries trundling over that bridge. 

We moored at a ‘wild’ mooring at Acle during the 2019 august bank holiday week. It’s within sight of the old Pedro’s moorings and very close to the speed limit sign. Lovely! You can access the public footpath and it is very peaceful. 

• Like 3

I don't know if you are still going to be afloat on the 28th of May, but that is the first day of the 61st 3 Rivers Race, High tide (At Horning) is around  the start times (1100-12:30).  So around 100 sailing boats will be heading towards Acle, The first I'd expect to see there around 15:00 the majority around 16:30, the latest around 18:00.. with a smaller number arriving 12 hours later..

The Majority will want to moor on the Cafe Side, between there and the bridge and dismast, before paddling under, the brave ones will lower their masts while floating in the river towards the bridge. 

Any one on the Course area day or night expect sailing boats in a large quantity!!!

image.thumb.png.36b8eedf70edb63a248361da6b310813.png

That reminds me I'd better put my general warning about the race out, to those uninvolved.

On 24/04/2022 at 04:54, andyg said:

I want to catch the early morning tide down to Yarmouth.

We are planning to catch that same tide to hit GY midway through slack. We need 9 feet under the bridges at GY - rather a high sided hire this year, as we want to see over the reeds for a change.  We'll be on https://broadshols.co.uk/boats/skyway - give us a wave.

Sorry for the slight topic hijack.

Skyway, I saw her at Ranworth last October, I remember saying to Clive that she looks so much better in the flesh then in the photos. She looked a cracking boat. We are on golden bridge our 1st time with bridgecraft. I wasn't allowed to book anything expensive, apparently I've spent enough on hire boats this year lol. Il give you a wave if we see you 😏 

• Like 1

If you are worried about the Stokesby moorings being full, you could always nip a bit further down and stay at Stracey Arms - that means you can have a longer kip and whilst busy, they don't get full. However don' t forget if mooring at Stracey its much easier to moor against the tide, whichever way it is running.

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

I don't know if you are still going to be afloat on the 28th of May, but that is the first day of the 61st 3 Rivers Race, High tide (At Horning) is around  the start times (1100-12:30).  So around 100 sailing boats will be heading towards Acle, The first I'd expect to see there around 15:00 the majority around 16:30, the latest around 18:00.. with a smaller number arriving 12 hours later..

The Majority will want to moor on the Cafe Side, between there and the bridge and dismast, before paddling under, the brave ones will lower their masts while floating in the river towards the bridge. 

Any one on the Course area day or night expect sailing boats in a large quantity!!!

image.thumb.png.36b8eedf70edb63a248361da6b310813.png

That reminds me I'd better put my general warning about the race out, to those uninvolved.

Thanks, yes we are aware, we saw your message on another thread and it reminded us..... we will be giving the boat back on the morning of 27th so will avoid it all..... I'm glad and sad at the same time!

• Like 1

Glad someone reads my Posts:default_biggrin:, unfortunately one or two see the 3 Rivers Race thread and ignore it as they don't sail, which is why I do an alternative thread for the race days in the hope they might read it..

It's really for the first timers / non locals who might look on the net for information about the broads. I believe the club Notifies all the boat yards, as well..

21 hours ago, Broads01 said:

I'd also recommend the moorings on the right, a little way downstream from the bridge, just before Acle Dyke. I moored there on a busy day May Bank Holiday last year. There was a modest fee (£5?) but it was quiet and an easy pleasant walk to the pub.

IMG_20210531_074947_1.jpg

Hi Simon do you have a better photo of the moorings please. I think this spot would be ideal if stokesby is full. Thanks 

20 minutes ago, andyg said:

Hi Simon do you have a better photo of the moorings please. I think this spot would be ideal if stokesby is full. Thanks 

Andy, they’re here, starboard side, just before Acle Marina, heading towards Stokesby.  They used to belong to The Hermitage pub, but not sure now.

50F60770-2579-4E0E-94FB-A7218E43396F.jpeg

• Like 1

Andy, that's the best photo I took, sorry, but I'm sure Malcom's post clarifies. We ate at the Bridge the night we moored there, it was only 10 or 15 minutes walk and a pleasant walk close to the river. There's a reasonable length of space there too, 9 or 10 boats maybe.

Andy.  I took these about 15 years ago at those moorings, when we hired Grenada Girl.  We haven’t moored there since, so I don’t know how much they’ve changed over the years.  Perhaps Simon may be able to update.

DD596032-5929-40F3-ADB8-36FAC943BB1A.jpeg

4EE078F2-138C-4B2F-A42A-B0736D5D9569.jpeg

Grenada girl, one of there best looking boats always looked very smart but they all did. I wish they had invested in the fleet a bit more. Saw gala girl in Norwich a few weeks back and it looked brand new. Memories of summercraft a lovely yard in my opinion.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, andyg said:

Grenada girl, one of there best looking boats always looked very smart but they all did. I wish they had invested in the fleet a bit more. Saw gala girl in Norwich a few weeks back and it looked brand new. Memories of summercraft a lovely yard in my opinion.

Agreed.  Their turnaround cleaning process was so thorough.  A small army of staff set about the fleet on their return on a Saturday morning.  All boats had their topsides washed down and someone went round in a dinghy washing the hulls.  I watched cutlery and crockery being washed and put away and they were beautifully presented ready for the next hirers.

In eight years of hiring with them, we suffered two faults on the various boats we hired - a blown bulb and a failed hairdryer.  An excellent yard.

2 hours ago, Mouldy said:

Agreed.  Their turnaround cleaning process was so thorough.  A small army of staff set about the fleet on their return on a Saturday morning.  All boats had their topsides washed down and someone went round in a dinghy washing the hulls.  I watched cutlery and crockery being washed and put away and they were beautifully presented ready for the next hirers.

In eight years of hiring with them, we suffered two faults on the various boats we hired - a blown bulb and a failed hairdryer.  An excellent yard.

Couldn't agree more, I do wonder why so many yards that had great fleets that were well cared for disappeared. Guess they weren't making money. I do remember nigel royall saying a few years back that in ten years there'd only be 3 maybe 4 big yards left. We are rapidly approaching that point unfortunately. 

• Like 1