Fishing On The Waveney

Wonderwall

Apologies if this has been covered and I've missed it.

My sister and bro in law are on a short break cruising the South rivers. My bro is a very.keen fisherman , but tells me.today there are no fishing signs from Burgh Stย Peter up to and including the yacht station at Beccles.

Can someone shed some light if this is in fact the case andย  why? , or have they been hitting the vino hard ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Seems very strange .ย 

Thanks

Neil

1 hour ago, rightsaidfred said:

is itย  BA moorings which state anglers must give way or on private land, whatever you can still fish from your boat.

But should you? Would be a bitter pill to swallow if you come in to moor and ask an angler to make way so you can moor up, as is your right, only for you to then fish from your boat, whilst said angler is busy packing his kit away having been evicted.

5 hours ago, Meantime said:

But should you? Would be a bitter pill to swallow if you come in to moor and ask an angler to make way so you can moor up, as is your right, only for you to then fish from your boat, whilst said angler is busy packing his kit away having been evicted.

What a cruel world we live in. ย The difference of course, is that anglers pay a licence (if they pay it) to the EA, not the BA. ย 

If the EA provided nice quay headed and gravelled sections of river bank for their licence payers to fish from then "said angler" could spread his impedimenta about him as he pleases and tell everyone else to shove off.

As it is, very few genuine payers of the BA river toll (including hire craft) would wish to get into a dispute with such (almost always) aggressive persons and will usually leave them to it and find a mooring somewhere else.

So it depends on your view of who exactly is being "evicted" from a purpose built mooring, that they have paid for?

10 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

So it depends on your view of who exactly is being "evicted" from a purpose built mooring, that they have paid for?

My view is that fishermen should always make way for boats looking to moor at a BA mooring, however do you rub salt in the wound by then setting up your own fishing gear and fishing off your boat, that was the only point I was making. There is no doubt that you have the right to do so, but is it the best course of action?

And to be fair most of the fishermen I have met have not been aggressive, so don't know where you have been mooring!

3 hours ago, Meantime said:

And to be fair most of the fishermen I have met have not been aggressive, so don't know where you have been mooring!

Clearly not the same places that you have found them to be so accommodating, on waterways all over Europe, not just on the Broads. Fishermen on the bank have the same attitude wherever I have found them.

They say that old fishermen never die.

They only smell that way.

Gee๐Ÿ˜‹, I didn't mean to start a fisherman v boater fight ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜.ย  I just wondered if my bro had read the signs wrong.ย  He said there was signs on all the 24 your moorings and the yacht station stating no fishing.

I probably would have fished, and if asked to stop, and given a good reason I would have ceased fishing . There is nothing on Google in relation to no fishing on this part of the river. I just thought someone on here would have cruised by that way and maybe seen the signs themselves recently.

ย 

I think to claim that all fishermen are grumpy aggressors is a bit wide off the mark.

16 minutes ago, Wonderwall said:

I think to claim that all fishermen are grumpy aggressors is a bit wide off the mark.

I didn't actually say all of them but all the same - not in my experience.

When you have actually been fired on by a fisherman with a 12 bore, because he was hidden behind bushes as you went past and didn't see his lines, you tend towards a negative opinion of them. ย 

Not on the Broads, I hasten to add but in that case "said angler" was locked up after I reported him.

I am am quite certain I m not the only one here to have felt aggressively intimidated and threatened by fishermen on a BA mooring in a deserted "wild" location and thus driven to go somewhere else rather than risk an affray.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

I didn't actually say all of them but all the same - not in my experience.

When you have actually been fired on by a fisherman with a 12 bore, because he was hidden behind bushes as you went past and didn't see his lines, you tend towards a negative opinion of them. ย 

Not on the Broads, I hasten to add but in that case "said angler" was locked up after I reported him.

I am am quite certain I m not the only one here to have felt aggressively intimidated and threatened by fishermen on a BA mooring in a deserted "wild" location and thus driven to go somewhere else rather than risk an affray.

Fishing with a 12 bore is cheating surely?๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

That's a bad experience to be fair. Take care my friend.

2 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Clearly not the same places that you have found them to be so accommodating, on waterways all over Europe, not just on the Broads. Fishermen on the bank have the same attitude wherever I have found them.

They say that old fishermen never die.

They only smell that way.

Being a boater and angler I have found if you politely explain its the only mooring left they will generally move as long as you give them time to move their gear, have had to hold out for a minute or 2 to let them move, more often than not there is still room for them to fish in front or behind you, it's just about being nice, of course there's always the one on both sides that give all a bad name.

4 hours ago, addicted said:

.....and it wasn't unknown to have a catapult full of maggots aimed at your cockpit!

ย 

ย 

Carole

That is a regular occurrence from a minority fishing from the park at Oulton Broad. That and beer bottles!

• Sad 2

16 hours ago, Meantime said:

My view is that fishermen should always make way for boats looking to moor at a BA mooring, however do you rub salt in the wound by then setting up your own fishing gear and fishing off your boat, that was the only point I was making. There is no doubt that you have the right to do so, but is it the best course of action?

For me not a problem, I am entitled to fish from my boat, if on a BA mooring it shouldn't be a problem as once I am moored I am happy for the bank angler to fish in front of or behind me, it happens often and not only do we both fish most times we enjoy the conversation and exchange of information, if the original question was regarding private property you probably shouldn't be their anyway.

Fred