A Horning Start

Broads01

It's been another beautiful day of sunshine for my final full day. As I set off I couldn't make my mind up where to head for other than I knew I would ultimately end up within striking distance of the boatyard. The rivers have been quiet all week but St Benets was the exception with lots of boats moving in both directions and sailing craft to negotiate. I continued and eventually decided on a first stop at Ranworth. Fortunately there were a couple of spaces and I picked one down the side, second one in from the corner. The Ranworth mooring tends to feel different to anywhere else in terms of how sociable it is and how boaters help each other into moorings. The BA ranger, in contrast to his Reedham colleague, seemed to make no efforts at all to help anybody to moor. I stayed for a couple of hours and was grateful to have moored when I did because it soon filled up. Eventually I moved on, next destination Wroxham. It was afternoon by now and the traffic had quietened somewhat - it seemed that many folks had found their overnight stop already. I love seeing the effect of the sun on the water and that was very much in evidence at Wroxham Broad where there was a busy sailing event in progress. At Wroxham I pulled in at Barnes just long enough to let the dogs stretch their legs and to visit Roy's. My final destination for tonight was Salhouse and I picked a lovely spot at one end of the "central" moorings (where the slope up to the campsite is). It's probably the warmest evening of my week which is a good job considering the heating has just packed up! Early start in the morning to return the boat.

IMG_20221002_100842_0.jpg

IMG_20221002_113244_1.jpg

IMG_20221002_144353_1.jpg

IMG_20221002_170031_7.jpg

IMG_20221002_180855_5.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the write up Simon. Not good that the heating packed up! Of course, we experienced similar problems with heating on our Syndicate boat a few years ago, but we had the back up of electric heaters when on shore power. Nowadays, we tend to prefer to look for a mooring with shore power during the colder months as we prefer to use our electric dimplex type heater than the diesel powered boat heater. A lot quieter, and possibly cheaper, given the cost of diesel nowadays. 

• Like 1

Great holiday tale as always Simon thanks, shame about the heating, not sure if it's just me, but I always find Ranworth one of the coldest places on the northern broads to moor especially if its windy. I can imagine how hard the heater would have to work to heat that boat. If gracious, silent or whisper emblem are in the yard this morning,take a sneaky look onboard. I think you'd be pleasantly surprised how they've improved the interior fit outs over the years. 

Thanks all for your kind comments. 

23 hours ago, YnysMon said:

Thanks for the write up Simon. Not good that the heating packed up! Of course, we experienced similar problems with heating on our Syndicate boat a few years ago, but we had the back up of electric heaters when on shore power. Nowadays, we tend to prefer to look for a mooring with shore power during the colder months as we prefer to use our electric dimplex type heater than the diesel powered boat heater. A lot quieter, and possibly cheaper, given the cost of diesel nowadays. 

I agree with you to a point Helen and if I ever do come in the depths of winter I'd certainly look for electric each night. This time of year though, I'd find that too restrictive and I'd miss out on lovely moorings like Salhouse. 

Having no heat last night wasn't a major issue but as you'd expect it was unpleasantly cold in the boat first thing this morning. I just got on with what I needed to do as quickly as I could and departed just after 0730 to return to Horning. Cold as it was, there was no way I was going to miss out on my final chance to sit up top and enjoy the views on a beautiful morning. I arrived at Ferry Marina in good time and reported the heating issue. I have always had reservations about fuel-inclusive pricing because I think it can be a licence to over-charge but not having the fuel to sort out did make for a simpler return to base. Car packed I set off for home. Whenever I hit the road on my return, there's always the feeling of a quick bump back to reality having exited the boating bubble. I felt good though because I feel I've had a really good week.

IMG_20221003_073318_0.jpg

IMG_20221003_074235_0.jpg

• Like 9

Generally I find October pretty mild on the whole, not as cold overnight as March and April certainly. Even last November was fairly mild, so I would have been quite comfortable without electric but with a hot water bottle. It’s just too tempting though. As we have the electric heaters and under blankets on board, why not use them. 

Lovely write up Simon. I was especially interested as you were single handed helming, and (I think) this was your first foray from North to South? Did you phone ahead to have someone meet you at Yarmouth YS for your little stopover? Loved the photos too. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DAVIDH said:

Lovely write up Simon. I was especially interested as you were single handed helming, and (I think) this was your first foray from North to South? Did you phone ahead to have someone meet you at Yarmouth YS for your little stopover? Loved the photos too. 

Thanks David. It was the first time I've started North and gone South solo but I hired south twice with Freedom and then crossed Breydon earlier this year on Silver Mirage. No I didn't phone the Yacht Station as it was a last minute decision to stop following my bridge panic. As it happened mooring up proved straightforward.

Sorry the Ranger at Reedham was not so helpful.   I am surprised because when  I have been there he always seems to be running from pillar to post to help one boat or another either mooring or leaving.     May be he was having an off day.   Well done to you,  really well done and all on your lonesome.    So pleased you enjoyed every moment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hylander said:

Sorry the Ranger at Reedham was not so helpful.   I am surprised because when  I have been there he always seems to be running from pillar to post to help one boat or another either mooring or leaving.     May be he was having an off day.   Well done to you,  really well done and all on your lonesome.    So pleased you enjoyed every moment.

As I read it the reedham ranger was very helpful and it was the ranworth ranger that wasn't, wasn't there a comment about one of the ranworth rangers earlier this year being less than helpful?

I've always found the reedham guys helpful although once they recognise a private boat they tend to let you get on with it unless it looks like it's going wrong, I take that as a compliment as it means it looks like you know what you are doing.

• Like 1

Yes, I've found the Reedham guys very helpful though they do let you get on with it if you are on a private boat. When we were there the other week they moved us along a bit when a hire boat was trying to get into a small gap behind us, having called out that thy needed to meet an engineer. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Smoggy said:

As I read it the reedham ranger was very helpful and it was the ranworth ranger that wasn't, wasn't there a comment about one of the ranworth rangers earlier this year being less than helpful?

I've always found the reedham guys helpful although once they recognise a private boat they tend to let you get on with it unless it looks like it's going wrong, I take that as a compliment as it means it looks like you know what you are doing.

Sorry - no excuse except getting doddery.