A Horning Start

Broads01

A Horning Start - well hopefully on Monday 26th anyway. I'm hiring from Ferry Marina for the first time and very excited about Silver Emblem 1 for 7 nights. I'll be the solo human but accompanied by our two dogs, Suzie our Shih Tzu and Betsy our Lhasa Also (Suzie's second boat trip and Betsy's first).

I don't normally start a Holiday Tale this early before it starts but I'm doing so having received a lovely call from Ferry Marina today. "Good afternoon, I'm calling from Ferry Marina. Thank you for your arrival details. I'm just phoning to let you know your boat will be ready at midday". Wow, what a pleasant surprise. It'll mean a very early alarm call to be there but well worth it. I previously had first day plans in my head but the early start opens up more options now. To head south straightaway, to relax and head south on a later day, I've no idea now but I shall enjoy working it out.

• Like 13

Yep - Ferry have over 40 boats so its not unusual to see quite a few in the yard as changeovers these days are staggered all through the week.

Been down this week a couple of times and the tides are currently very high - a lot a fresh water coming downstream I expect and with a NW wind forecast I am expecting a few flood warnings this weekend. However a week is a long time in Broadland tides.

Ferry were busy servicing and getting their pump ready!!!!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't especially fancy the super early alarm call so I decided to travel a day earlier instead, i.e. tomorrow Sunday 25th. I'm staying over in Norwich which is also giving me the opportunity to visit my uncle en route( who lives near Kings Lynn). It'll be lovely to wake up in Norwich on Monday morning and take the dogs for a Riverside walk.

I'm normally in bed by this time of night but, as always, I'm like a child on Christmas Eve and if I get in to bed too early I won't sleep. I've been coming to the Broads for over 40 years and yet the excitement and anticipation never wains.

• Like 9

Gosh not envious at all :default_icon_liar:    Hubby is most envious of all,   two dogs and just yourself ,  he reckons that is just heaven.

If the Tides are with you ,  how about getting down to Stracey.     Ideal for walking the dogs and you can get yourself a breakfast at the shop.  Then you can take stock of your next exciting trip.

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, Hylander said:

If the Tides are with you ,  how about getting down to Stracey.     Ideal for walking the dogs and you can get yourself a breakfast at the shop.  Then you can take stock of your next exciting trip.

I did consider that because I want to head south for part of the week. The trouble is low water at GY on Tuesday is about 0530 I think and it doesn't even get light until about 0630. My current plan includes Stracey on Wednesday night and an early start to go south Thursday morning.

Happily all went to plan today and I've arrived in Norwich. It'll be nice to have a dog walk and leisurely breakfast in the morning now I've got the travelling out of the way.

• Like 6

It's been a fun-packed day. I started with taking the dogs along by the Yacht Station. I bumped into Charlie and Purdey who'd overnighted on Broad Ambition. Charlie, it was good to meet you. Having checked out of the hotel it was a short drive for some food shopping and then arrival in Horning not long before my check in time. I parked near the Swan Inn and the dogs and I took in the views at Horning Staithe. We drove around to Ferry Marina and as promised, the boat was ready for midday. Being an experienced hirer, I commonly experience a handover that's too brief. Today was a pleasant surprise, however, because it was very comprehensive and particularly safety-conscious, including man overboard procedures and what to do with the safety ladder. Silver Emblem 1 is lovely. It's pricier than what I normally hire but it's beautifully fitted and includes WiFi ( that works so far), Freesat TV, and all the usual toys. It lacks an electric mudweight and a GPS Speedo but my biggest complaint is the lack of clothes storage but that's another story. I was away from the boatyard around 1 and chugged only as far as Cockshoot to finish unpacking and have something to eat. The weather today was mixed to say the least, hammering down whilst I was unloading the car and at Cockshoot and sunny by the time I left Cockshoot. This afternoon I found myself swapping around between upper and lower steering - the upper helm lacks a windscreen and I felt that in the wind and rain. My intention was to head for Gaye's/Neatishead but with water levels being quite high I knew there was a chance I wouldn't get under Ludham. Silver needs 8 ft 3 and as I reached the first bridge marker the rain was coming down, the wind was making its presence felt and the marker said 7 ft 10. It wasn't worth the risk, especially given the weather, so I turned around and headed for Thurne instead. I went back to the lower helm and stayed there - not like me at all but the lower helm is actually really good, being set back from the bows and with a slightly elevated seat. On arrival at Thurne, there was plenty of space but I managed to pick the bank from which the wind was blowing, so although I secured the boat fine it took me a while to get the ropes right, especially with limited mooring rings available. This evening I've enjoyed The Lion as much as ever.

IMG_20220926_113958_8.jpg

IMG_20220926_150407_8.jpg

IMG_20220926_151813_3.jpg

IMG_20220926_154512_1.jpg

IMG_20220926_164359_4.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Shame about not getting under Ludham Bridge. Hope you have better luck later in the week . Have you got the Aweigh App handy to check when low tide will be?

Sounds like a comfortable boat, and great to have a good view from the lower helm as well as the upper.

I love that photo of your two dogs together on the sofa. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, YnysMon said:

Shame about not getting under Ludham Bridge. Hope you have better luck later in the week . Have you got the Aweigh App handy to check when low tide will be?

Sounds like a comfortable boat, and great to have a good view from the lower helm as well as the upper.

I love that photo of your two dogs together on the sofa. 

I'm actually going to have another look at Ludham first thing tomorrow, nearer to low water this time. If I don't get through I won't be too disappointed as I'm intending to head south Thursday morning anyway.

8ft3 blimey and thought dazzling light was high at 7ft10. I do like these boats Simon and I think the later ones have been improved significantly. I'm glad to hear the inside helm position is OK. If I'm honest that was the one major concern I had with this design. Enjoy the rest of your stay. 

• Like 1

I know some people don’t like the newer designs that FM brought in, particularly those like Silver. But I’ve always loved the galley being in the bow and the views you get when you’re moored up. 

When we hired her probably 9 years ago now I was really inexperienced. But Silver was a dream from the upper helm. The lower helm was more tricky because they had false curtains bunched between each window round the bow. I’m glad to see those are gone. 

We hired her in October and similarly didn’t get under Ludham Bridge. Always seems to be high water levels at this time of year. 

Have a great time. Looking forward to reading your tale. 

• Like 1

Looks like it is going to get a tad breezy for 3/4 days over the weekend - might get a bumpier than normal crossing but if I were you I would also check Vauxhall clearance before you get there as the rivers are not going down yet. Initially on Friday the wind will be going southerly but back to NW later in the weekend. By then the tides will be moving to neaps and after the middle of the week wind will be back to SW which will blow it all out of the North Sea again!

Good this game of second guessing Broadland tides!!!!!!

• Thanks 1

The handling is indeed excellent, Jean. It turns beautifully on the rudder and a few times after coming in to a mooring I've found myself asking bow thruster? What bow thruster? Yes the lower helm visibility forward is excellent - shame rear visibility is non-existent because the stern door is offset from the helm. I intend to keep doing all the tricky stuff from up top.

I had a fun day today. It was very cold to begin with, feeling more like November than late September. Nevertheless I stayed up top when I set off with my winter coat, woolly hat and gloves on and once I'd got ove the initial cold shock I really enjoyed myself. The upper helm is high even by dual steer standards and I'm afforded views I didn't know existed. The closest in terms of helm position I've hired in the past is Brinks Jazz but that didn't have the same levels of comfort. I headed for Ludham for the second time and the board showed only an inch better than yesterday. Fortunately the wind was lighter than yesterday and I knew I could afford to approach the bridge tentatively, the highest point of the boat being the rail immediately in front of the helm. As I got close I could see there was a few inches to spare and so I ducked right down and continued through. I ducked so low I had no view forward at all so trusted to luck the boat kep straight. In hindsight I would have been better reversing and then re-attempting at the lower helm. As I emerged, a guy called overflow the starboard bank "Hi I'm from Ferry Marina, would you mind pulling overly Gracious Emblem so I can see if it will pass through?" I duely obliged, for which he was grateful and concluded that Gracious would just about be OK. I continued on my way, a niggle developing in my mind, "will I get back?". Nevertheless I continued and had the lovely feeling of a huge choice about where on the Ant to head next. I eventually decided on Stalham. The Ant was quiet by usual standards and I reached Stalham without fuss. I moored at the entrance to Richardsons, at the grassy spot on the left. There was plenty of time for a dog walk and a relax before setting off again this afternoon. The sun came out thankfully and it felt a little warmer. I decided to head for How Hill and stop there. Johnny Crowe's Staithe was empty as it had been this morning, except for the raft moored at right angles to it packed full of personal belongings. I wouldn't feel comfortable mooring there for fear of being on top of someone's home. How Hill was sunny and the dogs loved it. I could have stopped the night there but Ludham was still niggling me so I decided to get it out of the way and head for St Benets instead. That worked out beautifully with the boat squeezing under in similar fashion to this morning. Both Ludham Bridge and St Benets moorings were almost full. I love St Benets - such an iconic spot.

IMG_20220927_173741_8.jpg

IMG_20220927_170912_3.jpg

IMG_20220927_173710_5.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1