Bilge Water Strainer

TerryM

I have a Vetus bilge water strainer fitted to my vessel. I am informed by a BSS inspector that the Broads Authority no longer allow these filters and as such can cause a vessel to fail a BSS inspection.

Brian Wards in Brundall say that their cheapest BA approved strainer is a Wavestream unit costing about £140 plus the fittings costing another £10. Have other boaters had problems with their boats passing the BSS due to having unapproved bilge strainers?

The bss inspector is talking crap, bss is nowt to do with the broads it's inland waterways in general, bss doesn’t allow a bilge pump from under an engine unless an oil catch tray is in place but strainers don't come into it.

Unless of course he is talking about an oil separator of some sort, in which case just get an oil tray for under the engine if you can't move the pump to elsewhere. 

I’m failing to understand what bilge pumps have to do with boat safety :default_icon_e_confused:

Ive no drip tray,engine bilge turned on.

BSS chap never even looked or asked me.

maybe you chaps/chappesses on the east coast need to find some non jobsworths.

he was interested in ventilation,gas ,electrical install and fire fighting etc

the stuff that stops you dying.

We have a Wavestream filter, it removes oil and other pollutants from the bilge pump outlet, dead simple cartridge filter. Passed three BSS tests so far, apparently you can drink the output but I've never tried it.

So under engine is the deepest part of bilge then, oil catch tray is the solution for bss, but oil absorbing pads (also hold diesel) work really well and float on water so it can be pumped out underneath fairly cleanly, I always have them under my engines as it keeps the grp a lot cleaner.

Some very interesting replys. However, should this actually be a boat safety matter anyway. Bilge strainers have nothing to do with gas, fuel or electric. Surely this is an environmental matter, nothing to do with the safety of the vessel being either on the mooring or out on the river!

2 hours ago, TerryM said:

Some very interesting replys. However, should this actually be a boat safety matter anyway. Bilge strainers have nothing to do with gas, fuel or electric. Surely this is an environmental matter, nothing to do with the safety of the vessel being either on the mooring or out on the river!

Personally I don’t think it should be anything to do with boat safety certificate,

It should be down to the relevant rules of the waterways the boat is on,

much like toilet holding tanks etc

Hi Be aware that Wavestream filters require a stronger pump and as they collect any oils they gradually become   blocked and stop the pump from working. you dont need a filter fitted to a bilge pump, engines should now have a tray or a self contained space under the engine and gear box to collect and hold all drips. Bilge filters were used before this requirement for a contained space/tray came into force on all inland water ways. If they become blocked they will stop the pump from working and could possibly sink your boat .  John