Neatishead Now Open

kpnut

2 hours ago, kpnut said:

And the grit surface is now messed up by the first dog walking down it. Finlay’s footprints all over it. Why, oh why do they use grit?

5CBDBE44-B149-44C3-9FF4-1F339CFD8468.thumb.jpeg.70b5f9fe9c55953b3ea6402d7c776101.jpeg

DCB6ABA4-AFAA-4768-A59F-AFAEB771DEE3.thumb.jpeg.51c2aa95386db019901bb5f4434bac7f.jpeg

Because grit is capable of getting stuck in the razor cut soles found on good quality deck and sailing shoes and boots. It then can act as a really good abrasive agent on decks and cockpit soles. Who ever specifies crushed concrete and or grit obviously has never owned a cherished craft.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, ChrisB said:

Because grit is capable of getting stuck in the razor cut soles found on good quality deck and sailing shoes and boots. It then can act as a really good abrasive agent on decks and cockpit soles. Who ever specifies crushed concrete and or grit obviously has never owned a cherished craft.

Yes, especially as it's difficult not to tread some of it inside the boat. I'm wondering if it's been chosen because it's cheap?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

I'm wondering if it's been chosen because it's cheap?

I’m sure wood/bark chips from the local council, who are always trying to dispose of the things round my way and I can’t see Norfolk being much different, would be better. Yes, wood chip gets onto the boat too and gets kicked into the river, but certainly better than grit. It gets soggy too, but so goes grit. 
Just barmy and as you say, whoever makes the decisions obviously has no idea about boats. I’m surprised the hire boatyards haven’t kicked up a fuss with the navigation committee.

• Like 2

Hm, no easy answer then. I can understand why bark wouldn’t really work so well with a wheelchair, but not sure loose grit would either. The way Finlay scuffed it up, it certainly isn’t ‘whacker plated’ down firm. 

Regular wood chip is a total waste of time as it quickly turns to mush and then mud - accessibility for all is the necessity I guess.

I suppose you need a brush and slippers by the door - most boats have both and it just needs you to bend down! Those with wheelchairs I guess, will appreciate the fact they can get their wheelchair close to the boat

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, marshman said:

Regular wood chip is a total waste of time as it quickly turns to mush and then mud - accessibility for all is the necessity I guess.

I suppose you need a brush and slippers by the door - most boats have both and it just needs you to bend down! Those with wheelchairs I guess, will appreciate the fact they can get their wheelchair close to the boat

And do you think it's safe to have a wheelchair user on a boat.😳

I know I am going to be controversial now but I do not.

If and when I can't get on and off a boat unaided is the time for me , and anyone with a modicum of sense, to give up boating.

Incoming expected 🫣

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, FlyingFortress said:

If and when I can't get on and off a boat unaided is the time for me , and anyone with a modicum of sense, to give up boating.

Incoming expected 🫣

I know if anyone that I know and love want to go boating I wouldn't let a wheelchair stop them. All would be done to make them welcome. 

Regards Marge and Parge 

• Like 5
  • Love 2

And FF if you cannot get on and off a train unaided or indeed in a car, should you be banned from travelling? 

FF - I think you have the vision of a dear old granny being trundled up a path in a bath chair! I think you are just so far  from the truth FF and suggesting denying possibly many young and otherwise able bodied people the chance of a great holiday is a bit discriminatory. There are many forms of disability and many may welcome a firm path as opposed to woodchip.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, FlyingFortress said:

Incoming expected 🫣

I strongly disagree and I find your comment discriminatory and offensive. I'm lucky enough to be able-bodied but if that ever changes I'll still be boating in whatever way I can. 

• Like 5

We care for someone we know and love and that involves a wheelchair as they can't do steps. Ever heard an elderly relative say, "I don't like to be a bother."?

If/when my time comes I would not want to burden my loved ones with having to carry my ageing *ss on to a small boat. Larger and commercial boats have ramps etc to make them accessible.

I think some of you need to chill out; FF is just voicing his own opinion.

I have always said from the time I bought my first boat that I'm having one now before I'm too old to climb onto it. It's also why we intend to make the most of our full mobility once Mrs Raser retires next month.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Broads01 said:

I strongly disagree and I find your comment discriminatory and offensive. I'm lucky enough to be able-bodied but if that ever changes I'll still be boating in whatever way I can. 

Quite right, my friend.

Members will know I am rather cynical about the BA's attempts to open up the Broads "to a wider public" since to them, that appears to mean ramblers and paddle boarders.  But the handicapped are a very different matter.

I mentioned Poppy because he is one of the volunteer skippers for the Nancy Oldfield Trust.  I myself have been closely involved in organising and running visits to waterways for the handicapped, both mentally and physically (or both) and I know that the fun and fascination that they had on those days out will give them happy memories for the rest of their lives.

The Broads are one of the safest and best places in Europe for the handicapped to enjoy boating on a conventional hire boat holiday, so long as you choose a boat design which is suitable.  The best for me is the good old Bounty 37, which can even be driven by a person in a wheelchair.

To say that it is "not safe" to have them on a boat is to totally mis-understand one of the best possible ways for the handicapped to enjoy a leisure activity in a very high degree of safety.

• Like 10

I will not labour the examples of public transport or the fantastic work done by The Nancy Oldfield Trust.

What I will do is quote an extreme example.

I helped a boat stern moor at Ranworth around 3 or 4 years ago. The crew were all elderly 2 of which were Wheelchair users. The 3rd was the most mobile of them and could get around on his feet with the aid of 2 sticks. To get off the boat he was able to shuffle on his bottom until his feet touched ground then with the aid of his sticks stand up and walk slowly.

Someone tell me that is safe

Moreover can someone explain the thinking of the Hire Company that let them out.

• Like 1

Further to what Vaughan says above.

The boat suitability is a major issue.

The one I quoted at Ranworth was indeed a bathtub type so probably the best for access. 👍

Last year at Oulton Broad Yacht Station I and some friends pulled a man from the water who had fallen in whilst attempting to moor.

I cannot recall the boat type but it was one with high freeboard and had steps like small handrails on the stern for access which had been crushed and were useless.

The helm had done the right thing and had cut the engine and the casualty was clinging to the pontoon when we arrived. It took myself Mrs FF and an able bodied friend to haul him out. He was bleeding from a head wound and was kept in hospital overnight, released the next day. Needless to say no lifejacket 😣

The whole crew although all pretty mobile were in their 80's and experienced hire Boaters.

But IMHO the boat was totally unsuitable.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, FlyingFortress said:

I will not labour the examples of public transport or the fantastic work done by The Nancy Oldfield Trust.

Is that because these examples defeat your argument?

56 minutes ago, FlyingFortress said:

Someone tell me that is safe

Moreover can someone explain the thinking of the Hire Company that let them out.

I have very often advised on this forum that if you have special needs, you must advise the boatyard when you make your booking.  That way they can recommend a suitable boat and also make other provisions for you before you arrive.  It is no use at all turning up at the yard at 3PM on a Saturday, unfolding your wheelchairs out of the back of your adapted "people carrier" and then expecting the yard (and the Broads) to make it all happen for you.  I have seen this happen so often and from that moment on, sure enough, it's all the boatyard's "fault".

• Like 5

I think the subject here is to do with degrees of safety; you could argue that it's not actually safe for an able bodied person to be on a boat as there is always a degree of risk getting on and off. It's far safer to stay on dry land. 

That said, if someone in a wheelchair has the support around them to do it then fair enough. Going back to FF's original comment though, a loose surface in a fairly remote location introduces another level of risk.

4 hours ago, FlyingFortress said:

In my first example I do think the yard were at fault.

In the second not so as I said they were experienced hirers so should have seen the risks involved in hiring that style of boat.

Never mind.

You have managed to take us off the topic of bark chips versus gravel on a BA mooring and stir up yet more muddy water off the bottom of the broad.

It could seem to me as though that was your main intention.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2