Ferry Marina Offer

1 hour ago, Broads01 said:

Ferry are offering a 30% discount on holidays between 26 May and 10 June. I can't help feeling they wouldn't be left with unsold bookings to discount if they just charged less in the first place.

Screenshot_20230523_200517_Facebook.jpg

Hmmm "all inclusive boating holiday"?? Are they providing the catering and drinky poos as well??? :default_rofl:

Chris

• Haha 2

I’m not surprised they are doing an ‘offer’, judging by the number of their boats that were on their frontage and on the moorings opposite last week, and even more the week before. Didn’t see many of their boats out on the river either. Wonder why? 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Hylander said:

I know they are pricey but they are also a high standard.      No different than Brooms.        Silverline also used to be quite pricey but they are now Richardsons as you know.   

Having hired from them last year I agree they're a very good standard, I just wish they would price more realistically. Silverline used to be well priced in my view, particularly on their older craft.

I can only go by the fact that many years ago we hired Silver Simoon  for 14 days it was neigh on £3,000.  That was before prices went stupid.    Couldn't afford it nowadays I can tell you.   We tend to go for 4 nights now or occasionally 7.

Looking at the number of boats still in their yards when I was on the broads in early May,all of the boatyards seem to have overpriced their boats.Finding a mooring was never easier ,both North and South.

Looking ahead for the rest of the season,lots of boats are still available.Ferry may have to discount most of the season,other yards may follow. 

I've just returned after after a fortnight. The first week we were up north all week and thought it was incredibly quiet for May. The middle Saturday we went down south, and it was very quiet. However, I certainly noticed the difference when we came back up north on the Wednesday. Lots of boats out, mostly Richardson's and Herbie Woods. When we went up to Stalham to meet with Kate this last weekend there was plenty of space in most of Richardson's various quays, so it looks like they are doing quite well. 

• Like 1

The trouble with yards slashing 30% off their prices for short notice bookings is that it can alienate your existing customer base and set a precedence for future seasons whereby customers wait until the last moment for the reductions before they consider booking , a very (IMO) dangerous game .

• Like 8

1 hour ago, CambridgeCabby said:

The trouble with yards slashing 30% off their prices for short notice bookings is that it can alienate your existing customer base and set a precedence for future seasons whereby customers wait until the last moment for the reductions before they consider booking , a very (IMO) dangerous game .

Indeed, as a customer I would say there's nothing more off-putting.

• Like 4

To be honest I don't think it's been a good season for anyone so far. The all inclusive brigade have been hit hardest I suspect because of the huge margin they pile on to fuel costs when calculating prices. Never been a fan of all inclusive for 5/10 mins  inconvenience you could save 50-150 pounds on Diesel, easy money IMHO. As to prices better to charge a fair price to start with which tends to retain loyalty (Kris cruisers are doing okay on the Thames, still down on 22) although from what I have seen even some of the smaller lower prices yards are well down 20% plus on the last few years. I get the feeling those that can afford to go away are heading off to the all inclusive holidays abroad rather than boats as they have been set free from covid restrictions. Of course all inclusive abroad includes food and drink so in the current climate worth a fair chunk of change plus almost guaranteed good weather. Hopefully we will have a good summer and last minute bookings. Expect plenty more discounts. 

To be open I am currently sitting on Broom Bolero an all inclusive boat  I like the Southern Broads usually stick with Pacific Sunshine however she wasn't available and the choice is limited. I could have saved over £150 if I had booked closer to the time. I also see the base prices have been cut and not just special offers, I guess online they can fluctuate like the airlines.

Neil 

• Like 4

Well if HW yard is anything to go by at the moment , they are doing quite well,  lots of boats out when I looked yesterday, even from their stock yard.   A bit like half term.   I wondered if the nice weather and the Bank Holiday had something to do with it.

Quite a few have returned this morning or probably last night.

Screenshot 2023-05-26 060004.png

• Like 1

We've just returned and it was very noticeable the high number of Richardsons older boats out. Ditto Herbert Woods. I do wonder if cost is really starting to bite. We moored in Faircraft Loynes yard, they had a few boats out but not many. 

• Like 4

Hope you both had a good journey home.        I have noticed on some of the recent YouTube videos of Ludham Bridge a lot of Richos older boats as you say.      Like yourselves there is only the two of us, so the cost is not shared.    Some of the hotels on the water type of boats are beyond expensive.    After all you dont want to buy it or put a deposit down on it you just want to hire it.      I do hope they build some more sensible boats for 2 or 4 people, something that you can moor. These days a couple of these huge boats at what used to be a mooring for 4 boats is a mooring for 2.

• Like 3

Good but sad journey home, thanks M

I agree, price of some boats, very expensive. Bridgecraft provide very good value fortunately.

I would also agree about smaller boats for a couple. When the lottery comes up I'll get Swancraft to build me a 31 foot Alphacraft :default_biggrin:

• Like 4

Simon,

To answer your question definitely Brooms have cut the base prices and l am told Pacific cruisers have reduced the prices, not sure about the others as I have not got hard copy records to refer back to, plus of course clearly stated special offers in Hoseasons and Woods and Ferry. Interesting that some yards are shifting some of there older boats which tends to fit in with the cost of living and high prices some have been charging. I also see that the 2 new Platinum lights (with a 3rd in the shed) are nearly fully booked this season so still demand for some of the premium boats. 

Neil

• Like 3

I suspect some of the last minute offers and relatively good weather we have at the moment is helping the likes of Woods. Half term next week so everyone should do well in theory although the margins and prices will be high and a deterrent for some. Rickos still have some reasonable prices on the classic fleet and tend not to discount similarly Bridgecraft who have a good service record too. What surprised me is that with Silverline pulling out of the South from a hire perspective,  that Pacific are not pulling in many more people, they offer good prices and service on lovely quiet waters, yet the vast majority still flocks to the North. 

Neil

• Like 3

Saw quite a few Pacifics out and about and certainly a yard I would consider. We enjoyed our time down South, much more quiet and peaceful. This may have been partially due to the early morning/evening transit times. 

Bumped into Tracy (ex Berney Arms landlady) and she said they could predict how busy they would be based on tide times. 

• Like 3

Mr Nog,

I see your comments about a Swan built Alpha 31 and agree they are lovely boats and we had some good holidays on Swan Reflection and Romance. If time and money were no object I think an Alpha 31 or A/f 28 Opal/Heritage 286 would be ideal, nice size and bridge friendly to reach all those picturesque stretches, Dilham, Geldeston, Belaugh etc.

Neil 

• Like 1

That's a fair point about Pacific, Neil. It's surprised me that for the last few years they start their season at the beginning of May, so around 2 months later than everyone else. I guess they've been a husband and wife team for many years and I wouldn't blame them for wanting to keep it that way, plus they have space limitations at their base.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Captain said:

Mr Nog,

I see your comments about a Swan built Alpha 31 and agree they are lovely boats and we had some good holidays on Swan Reflection and Romance. If time and money were no object I think an Alpha 31 or A/f 28 Opal/Heritage 286 would be ideal, nice size and bridge friendly to reach all those picturesque stretches, Dilham, Geldeston, Belaugh etc.

Neil 

Couldn't agree more Neil. Swan Reflection 2 was the last boat we hired from Swancraft and (I think) their penultimate build. Paul is a 'thinking man's' boat builder and the quality is excellent. He would build to your specification as well. The 31 is perfect for a couple (IMHO), compact but not cramped. Low air draught and will slot into those smaller gaps. Great handling too. Bet it would be cosy in winter too. Just need those numbers to come up..........:default_biggrin:

• Like 2

I’ve seen a lot of Horning pleasure craft boats about, only 1 in their yard on Sunday.  I understand that they have held prices and unlike a lot of yards take pride in their appearance, not seen a dirty waterline this year.

• Like 5