Over Breydon

Phoenix

Hi All

I have read all the posts regarding crossing Breydon water, but can any one tell me whats on the other side ...

I am planning our first jaunt to the southern side, and planning for Beccles/Oulton broad direction. So when we get over Breydon, can any one tell me where to moor on route, are there further bridges to contend with and any other useful info please.

Many thanks in advance :-)

If you are going along the Waveney you have got a bridge at St Olaves and a rail bridge at Somerleyton. Like the northern broads there are plenty of places to moor. Get a Broadcaster paper it'll give you lots of info.

If you are going up the Yare you have a rail bridge at Reedham and then no bridges till you approach Norwich. Again lots of places to moor.

The big difference is the tidal flow of the southern broads. Moor using long ropes and just have your wits about you a bit more.

Beccles is nice but will be very busy. If you can get under Beccles bridge the river is lovely as you leave the town towards Geldeston.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Troyboy said:

St Olaves and a rail bridge at Somerleyton

At the risk of sounding a noob (Ok as for the southern broads i am lol), What heights are the bridges, My freeman is around 7" i guess with the screen. will i need to faf around and take the screen down?

Just looked on Project Troll and they don't have them on there yet..

Powerboat racing in Oulton Broad on most Thursday evenings is worth a look if you’re interested in that sort of thing, but you’ll need to book a pontoon mooring at the Yacht Station we’ll in advance if you do.

Beccles is a lovely town.  Good shopping, plenty of pubs, restaurants and takeaways.  Good butchers in town too.

If you venture along the Yare, Rockland Broad is lovely, moorings at the staithe and an excellent  pub nearby.  Surlingham Broad ((Bargate) is also worth going to.  No moorings or facilities, but mudweight for a peaceful stopover.  The Ferry Inn at Surlingham is excellent (imho).  Bookable moorings, electric, water, a large beer garden, good food and drink.  Bramerton has a stretch of excellent moorings.  Depending on your airdraft, you could go under the very low bridges to Thorpe, otherwise continue into Norwich.  Plenty to see and do, but very noisy for overnight moorings.

Definitely worth the trip south and Breydon really isn’t to be feared.  Keep within the marked channel and cross at the correct time.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

Powerboat racing in Oulton Broad on most Thursday evenings is worth a look if you’re interested in that sort of thing, but you’ll need to book a pontoon mooring at the Yacht Station we’ll in advance if you do.

That sounds different, will give them a call i think, see if i can get a mooring, although i have read on FB, some people mudweight on the broad as well?

17 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

That sounds different, will give them a call i think, see if i can get a mooring, although i have read on FB, some people mudweight on the broad as well?

Not sure how feasible mudweighting would be when the racing is in progress.

• Like 1

Don't even think about mudweighting on breydon, and as a newbie on southern rivers when mooring check which way the water is flowing and moor against it, go past and turn around if you need to but mooring against the flow makes everything much slower and controlled and the brakes will actually work, moor with the tide and you can become an out of control projectile bouncing along a line of very grumpy boaters.

Don't fear the tide use it to your advantage.

And please do not feed the krakens!

• Haha 1

The team at Yarmouth post the tide times for Great Yarmouth on our Facebook page every day during the summer season.

If you need to know the best time to cross or any other tips give the guys at Yarmouth Yacht Station a call (01493 842794 or 07766 398238) and they'll be happy to chat to you about it. Also the below video might be helpful depending on your level of experience as well as this in-depth page: https://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/boating/navigating-the-broads/water-depths/breydon-water

Other bridge heights are listed here: https://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/boating/navigating-the-broads/bridge-heights-and-opening-times including Haddiscoe, Reedham Swing Bridge and the Norwich Bridges.

Hope that helps,

Tom

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Don't even think about mudweighting on breydon, and as a newbie on southern rivers when mooring check which way the water is flowing and moor against it, go past and turn around if you need to but mooring against the flow makes everything much slower and controlled and the brakes will actually work, moor with the tide and you can become an out of control projectile bouncing along a line of very grumpy boaters.

Don't fear the tide use it to your advantage.

And please do not feed the krakens!

Is there and Krakens in the water,nooo the Sea monsters  ate  em!.

• Like 1

Names of places will mean nothing to you. Just names, nothing more nothing else. By all means have a look at a map. That will give you a rough idear where things are, where the places are relative to the other places. Distance is a difficult one. Experience of time over distance will come with experience over a short period of time.

You will very soon get the hang of it. 

Tides, bridges, wind, storms and tempests await you. Fear ye not. Well meaning folk will advise you. In reality some know diddly squit. But not all.

Pay attention to Old Tom of the revered  BA. I'm serious.

If in doubt, give them a shout. The number is on line, in your manual, they are able to give you actual tide conditions, future and present, indeed your boat, its air draft and its ability to proceed safely. They will welcome your call for advice and appreciate your concern.

Old Wussername 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BroadsAuthority said:

If you need to know the best time to cross or any other tips give the guys at Yarmouth Yacht Station a call (01493 842794 or 07766 398238) and they'll be happy to chat to you about it.

Hope that helps,

Tom

I have done this a couple of times when planning to transit Breydon and I can unreservedly confirm that they are brilliant in the info that they give you. We're due back on the Broads from 2nd Sep 23 and taking our friends from Devon down to the kraken infested waters :default_laugh: from the North. Planning to leave HW as soon as possible on 2nd Sep and cruise down to Stracey Arms mill so as to catch the low tide/slack water early Sunday morning. I've noted that there is a Spring tide that morning so I rang Yarmouth Yacht station earlier this week for some guidance.  The guy at the station couldn't have been more helpful and notwithstanding any adverse weather that morning, I am reassured of departure time from Stracey to get under Vauxhall bridge without joining the road traffic that may be going over it! :default_laugh::default_laugh:

Chris

• Like 4