Come On A Norfolk Broads Train Ride

I thought there might be some people interested in these two videos. Something to watch while we wait for the new boating season.

This first one is Lowestoft to Norwich which goes along by the Waveney, the New Cut, and the Yare. 

The second one is Norwich to Cromer which passes through Salhouse, and Hoveton and Wroxham.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Thank you for that, most interesting.

I noticed, when the train drew into Wroxham and Salhouse, a lot of dis-used platform, which used to accommodate the holiday special weekend trains in summer, which could be up to 10 or 11 coaches long.

• Like 2

Thanks Jean. I watched it in high speed, fast forward, just stopping at points of interest.

I didn’t know Somerleyton had a railway station, very useful to know for my trips with guests. I’m always on the look out for picking up/dropping off points. 

• Like 1

Very interesting. I notice at Oulton Broad North as we approach the station the traffic is still flowing on the road in front and the barrier comes down as we stop. At Narborough, Leicestershire the layout is similar but the barrier comes down at least two minutes before the train gets to the station, and the road is a lot less busy. I prefer the Oulton Broad way but wouldn't you expect consistency accross "nation" rail?

I could sound really old and say I remember the days when there were gates at Brundall and a man used to comeout of his little hut and open them when ever a train was due. I wanted his job.

And what about those horrible modern shelters we have as a poor excuse for station buildings? Not even efficient; don't keep you warm or dry. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, floydraser said:

I could sound really old and say I remember the days when there were gates at Brundall and a man used to comeout of his little hut and open them when ever a train was due. I wanted his job.

We had manual gates in Tunstead well into the 90s. The gateman actually got a quite a nice house beside the crossing as part of the role.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, floydraser said:

Very interesting. I notice at Oulton Broad North as we approach the station the traffic is still flowing on the road in front and the barrier comes down as we stop. At Narborough, Leicestershire the layout is similar but the barrier comes down at least two minutes before the train gets to the station, and the road is a lot less busy. I prefer the Oulton Broad way but wouldn't you expect consistency accross "nation" rail?

And what about those horrible modern shelters we have as a poor excuse for station buildings? Not even efficient; don't keep you warm or dry. 

Yes I can remember the little man in the hut at brundall as a child I was mesmerised by that little hut they used. 

quite strange network rail always said they would never but a automatic barrier at brundall because of the hill down to it the automatic barrier wouldn’t stop a vehicle but I guess they are stronger now even thou they look flimsy. 

1 hour ago, Roy said:

strange network rail always said they would never but a automatic barrier at brundall because of the hill down to it the automatic barrier wouldn’t stop a vehicle but I guess they are stronger now even thou they look flimsy. 

More likely they just don't want to pay someone to do it.

Accountants run everything nowadays. 

• Like 1

As far as I know the old Brundall station gates were still in operation until February 2020 so you don't have to be too old to remember them. As far as I can remember they were manually operated until the end but I maybe wrong?

Neil 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Captain said:

As far as I know the old Brundall station gates were still in operation until February 2020 so you don't have to be too old to remember them. As far as I can remember they were manually operated until the end but I maybe wrong?

Neil 

No, I believe you're correct. Hut still there, would make a cosy Airbnb!

10 hours ago, floydraser said:

A man still comes down the steps of his signal box to close and open the gates at Hubberts Bridge, on my way to and from the boat. Maybe Lincolnshire?

On 02/02/2024 at 08:50, kpnut said:

Thanks Jean. I watched it in high speed, fast forward, just stopping at points of interest.

I didn’t know Somerleyton had a railway station, very useful to know for my trips with guests. I’m always on the look out for picking up/dropping off points. 

There's always Haddiscoe station as well. 10 Min walk from the Bell at St Olaves. 

• Thanks 1

On 06/02/2024 at 06:00, Norfolkangler said:

There's always Haddiscoe station as well. 10 Min walk from the Bell at St Olaves. 

I'm glad I don't walk with you :default_rofl:At 1.1 mile from the station to The Bell, that's some walking speed. :default_icon_clap:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Meantime said:

I'm glad I don't walk with you :default_rofl:At 1.1 mile from the station to The Bell, that's some walking speed. :default_icon_clap:

Well it's quicker on the way back after sampling a pint or two of the ales on offer :default_beerchug:. They do a good selection of local ales in there. 

OK, may be a little longer than 10 mins but a good view of the cut and the river from the top of Haddiscoe bridge.

• Like 4