King's Head Hoveton

That's great news. I do love it there and even stayed in their rooms a couple of times. I will definitely give it a visit in the summer. You can't beat that pub garden for a drink and watching the boats go by x

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gracie said:

That's great news. I do love it there and even stayed in their rooms a couple of times. I will definitely give it a visit in the summer. You can't beat that pub garden for a drink and watching the boats go by x

As ill as she feels I just knew Gracie would reply to a pub comment  :default_beerchug::default_smile:

• Haha 4

I think some work was done tidying up the Three Horseshoes/Waterside rooms site recently. I wonder if there might be plans for the site as part of this? I know BA made a recommendation for compulsory purchase a few years back, so its market value is probably fairly low.  I'm sure the two came under the same management at one time during the 80s/90s. If King's Head is thriving, it'd be good if they did take it on.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, floydraser said:

Hopefully they'll tidy up the old house type building next door, assuming it's part of the pub

Not sure about that. The derelict Waterside Rooms site is often on the agenda at the Hoveton Community Council meetings. But the land where there's a rough car park and access to the stern on moorings is all fenced off at the moment so ... no idea what the plans are or who has fenced it off. The signs don't give anything away that I could see when I passed earlier in the week.

• Like 3

It certainly does and we feel that to an extent North Norfolk District Council neglect this area in favour of coastal locations such as Cromer and Sheringham. But I have also come to realise that the BA have responsibilities here too. It’s nothing like the nice place to sit by the river that it was 3 years ago. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Roy said:

I think generally wroxham by the river / park has been left to get over grown it needs a good tidy and regular maintenance.

No doubt the "foreign company" which owns the Three Horseshoes is letting it run to ruin knowing full well that doing so will increase the chances of planners granting permission for housing in its place. The surrounding area then suffers neglect because it's less worthwhile to invest in keeping it looking good when there's a huge eyesore next door.

What surprises me is that local people haven't been more proactive in resolving the issue.

• Like 3

Out of curiousity, I just had a look on Land Registry at the site and the whole thing is now owned by Greene King. That includes the old Three Horseshoes site, the L shaped house in between and the car park (but not the BA office or toilets). The previous owners have presumably decided to sell it to escape the threat of compulsory purchase by NNDC. Looks like Greene King bought the site from the Dutch owner and merged it with the Kings Head late in 2020.

As ever, BA seems to be partly responsible for the current state of the Three Horseshoes. They reviewed its planning a while back and decided they could act, but told NNDC to compulsorily purchase it instead to avoid having to deal with the legal enforcement process for an "Untidy Land Notice".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3