A Holiday (on) Melody

To answer the bird of prey question (and I appreciate my photo wasn't great), having looked at some pictures, I believe it was a Marsh Harrier. Saw an actual flock of three of them over the Yare this morning. Buzzard and Red Kite were good guesses from my photo but from the extra bits I can remember, Marsh Harrier was the best fit.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, catcouk said:

Only really the Trowse swing bridge to worry about. This year, we have 7'08" and had 8'5" indicated. It certainly must a be squeeze with anything with a fly bridge! Having said that, I think they have a 2ft tidal range even up here.

FWIW, we took Skyway from Horning Pleasurecraft up to Norwich 2 years ago. At 9 foot, she's a big girl but only  the Trowse bridge was really tight - can't recall the tide state.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Listening to the radio earlier returning home from Horning, where I’d been giving a new owner a familiarisation of Moonlight Shadow, I heard mention of potential coastal flooding around the Norfolk Coast, due to high spring tides.  I’m guessing the weekend storm will have adversely impacted tidal rise and fall.

Obviously, with no lock gates or other forms of tidal control at Yarmouth, The Broads will be at the mercy of sea levels.  Any amount of dredging won’t prevent water from entering the system, although it could be argued that it will slow its escape.

As for the bridges in Norwich, the only one that may be an issue to a high airdraft cruiser, is Trowse Railway Bridge.  We’ve always been able to get under on Norfolk Lady with our airdraft of 8ft 3ins, although there has been less than 9ft on occasions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mouldy said:

Just checked the government’s flood earning website and it’s quite colourful

Just checked and my mother's is within the alert area again :default_icon_rolleyes:

The colour choice on that map is a nightmare for anyone with impaired colour vision.

• Like 1

An early start this morning for us down at Loddon Staithe. When we first did this, I actually cast off from here on my own leaving everyone else to have a lie in. Sadly, times have changed and I can no longer lift the mud weight. At 0700, poor beleaguered Mrs Catcouk had to stumble around on the foredeck in her pyjamas before attempting to go back to sleep…

A sleepy chug down the peaceful Chet was marginally ruined by our windscreen – I could not get the darn thing clear. No matter what we wiped it with, it remained either wet or greasy (and no, I wasn’t using a greasy cloth!). Last time we did this, I had a flying bridge which is absolutely my recommendation for this stretch of river at this time of day. Mrs Catcouk decided to stay up for this section as we passed Hardley Flood and nature reserve (in the vain hopes of seeing a kingfisher) and she also wanted to tackle the narrow hairpin bends at the end of the Chet (which was a seamless affair). We also saw our mystery bird of prey friend from yesterday (which I now believe to be a marsh harrier – many thanks for all the suggestions).

Chugging up the Yare was almost unremarkable. We had one boat follow us as far as Brundell Church Fen (Sherz and Linz – if anyone has seen their videos on YouTube) but we couldn’t have passed more than ten boats coming the other way the whole morning. Whilst I’m sure this early Easter and the quiet rivers are no good for business, they have been great for me (I can’t say ‘us’ as the wife decided to go back to bed until the Postwick viaduct after we joined the Yare…).

I was somewhat fascinated by the activity around the Cantley works. Having only past by once as an adult (and many times as a child), my memories are of an almost abandoned industrial facility. Not today though – loads of people, lorries, a forklift, and flashing lights. I know many (if not most) come to the Broads for the amazing wildlife but I admit to enjoying the contrasts on offer just as much too. The Cantley works seem so out of place in their surroundings!

This morning, I saw a ‘flock’ of (what I can now identify as) marsh harriers – well, three felt like a flock. Other than that, the predominant birds were cormorants (aside from the usual mallards, swans, and geese). This made me think through the various birds we’d seen so far: (ignoring the yawns of mallard, swan, goose, pigeon, and seagull) coot (no moorhens yet though), Egyptian goose, oyster catcher, curlew, grebe, cormorant, pheasant, marsh harrier, magpie, and Canada goose (or, as I call them, Goose GTI – I think they look like a sportier model of a regular goose).

After the boy helmed us past Rockland St Mary, and we passed Brundell and Brammerton, our plans changed. As had been reported, Whitlingham Country Park was removed from our itinerary as the moorings are no longer available (not to mention rather unloved). In my defence, it was still listed with an electric mooring on my 2022 map book (printed after the moorings closed) and still appears on several websites. It is a shame that the park itself can’t keep the moorings open if the BA don’t fancy it. I can’t really understand them wanting to raise the price – surely the moorings would only bring more passing trade and free maintenance from the BA? I don’t want to start a BA argument here (as so often happens on our forum) but I think the thought process of the Whitlingham volunteers should be examined here. Maybe there’s a good reason for them not to want the moorings?

Trowse railway bridge was lower than I remembered in as much as I actually had to check the gauge. We need 7’08 and was relieved to see 8’06 showing (but that still seems low for an ‘unremarkable’ bridge). I actually think Trowse should be in the same league as Ludham but I guess it sees a lot less traffic and is made a bit easier without the blind bend (and I think they get a 2 foot tidal range here – this was high tide). I have already jokingly sent a photo of what we saw cruising up the Wensum but, again, I love the sudden and complete difference of the experience. It might not be the natural haven of so many other stretches but it has always felt somehow special cruising in such a busy place with so many spectators.

Our arrival at Norwich Yacht Station was much earlier than anticipated at around 1115. On the bright side, this meant we could have a ‘fancy’ restaurant lunch. Well, a Pizza Hut buffet is pretty fancy with a 6-year-old (he had his first ever ice cream factory). Chatting with the yacht station guy (is he a ‘station master’, ‘harbour master’, ‘quayside administrator’?) was interesting. This time of year (the Easter holidays) usually sees 15 to 20 overnight boats each night. Tonight, we are one of only 6 (well, 7, if you include the private boat that reversed in just after 8 and I imagine will be out before 0800 to avoid paying the mooring fee). Having said that, the ‘mooring attendant’ (?) wasn’t that worried – he reckons it is only a bad year for tourism if July and August are quiet. An interesting point of view?

As for the rest of the day, we ambled around the beautiful old streets of Norwich. Two things I hadn’t appreciated until today about the city: there are many old and interesting buildings to look at jammed in amongst much newer ones; isn’t it difficult to find a decent view if the castle? We got to see a Ranger boat up close at the Yacht Station so the boy and I went to ogle at the beauty – how do they keep them so pristine? We also met up with some family who were literally just spending one night here by coincidence and played crazy golf at an Asian inspired crazy golf and bar called ‘Putt Putt Golf’. It was great fun. Incidentally, they paid £250 for one night at a Travelodge/Premier Inn. The £600ish we paid for a week on Melody looked very appetizing. So much so that they are considering making up a flotilla with us next year!

I have now sat here writing this up whilst looking out the massive rear patio doors/ windows overlooking the Wensum under the road bridge. It really isn’t a bad view to be writing a blog post to. It also had the added benefit of watching a 38ft private boat reverse down here from the turning point by Lady Julian’s Bridge. I admit to being quite impressed with that – especially when I saw the young fella at the helm. You might be dodging the mooring fee (they might not) but either way I enjoyed watching the boat handling (they ended up moored directly in front of us).

Many photos were already posted above but a few extra ones are to follow.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Mouldy said:

Just checked the government’s flood earning website and it’s quite colourful for the Norfolk and Suffolk Broads.IMG_2040.thumb.jpeg.6873df39e26977ce13e6f2ed28b7ea16.jpeg

Looks like we'll be sailing through red flood country in the morning then! Do you think we'll need Reedham Swing Bridge to open...? Ha ha.

27 minutes ago, catcouk said:

I was somewhat fascinated by the activity around the Cantley works. Having only past by once as an adult (and many times as a child), my memories are of an almost abandoned industrial facility. Not today though – loads of people, lorries, a forklift, and flashing lights.

This time of year or later on, it'd normally be largely abandoned. This year though, the widespread flooding has meant that the sugarbeet "campaign" has been later than normal, so there's probably still lots of processing going on.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Meanwhile back at the bird of prey, does not the Marsh harrier have white markings on the underside of its wings?

The ones I saw did. Unfortunately, my photo is somewhat silhouetted.

3 hours ago, catcouk said:

A sleepy chug down the peaceful Chet was marginally ruined by our windscreen – I could not get the darn thing clear.

Someone once posted a tip on the forum to wipe the screen with a cloth primed with washing up liquid, though I must admit I haven’t tried that myself.

We have a small, low powered demister gadget that my husband got from Coopers ages ago in a sale. I think it cost £5 or so. It has a 12v connection. The only snag on Moonlight Shadow is that we need an extension cable from the 12v plug. I bet the extension cable cost more than the demister!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, catcouk said:

I believe it was a Marsh Harrier. Saw an actual flock of three of them o

That sounds more like a kite, as they fly around in groups and are much less wary of humans.  You said it came very close to you.  There are a lot of them on the Thames where they are now considered a bit of nuisance.  The marsh harrier is rather more insular and will fly slowly over the marshes, hovering a lot and usually at a distance.

The best way to tell a kite is by its fan shaped, twin tail, which the angle of the photo did not show.

• Like 1

In fact the red kite has been on the Broads for a long time.  I remember my father pointing them out to me when I was a boy, in the early 50s.

You could often see a Hoopoe at this time of year, flying over the river in the area around the Postwick marshes and Bramerton.  If you see something looking a bit like a Jay but with black and white striped wings, that might be a Hoopoe.

Best seen in the early morning, about an hour after dawn.

• Like 1

Vaughan - with your huge and vast knowledge I am always wary of contradicting you, but my bird "bibles" suggest that by to the '70's kites had become so critically endangered they were limited to just a few pairs in Central Wales which is why they were reintroduced to the UK in the early 90's. Perhaps you were very lucky - the link below from a Natural England site explains more about their reintroduction.

https://naturalengland.blog.gov.uk/2020/07/21/a-conservation-success-story-the-reintroduction-of-red-kites-30-years-ago/

What it does show is how a bird without a "higher" predator can spread - ring necked parakeets are a complete nuisance in places and are all over London. They are even some in Norwich but expect more as time goes on - although I understand peregrines like them! That was not a reintroduction though as they are "escapees" which seem to like the climate - however unlikely that seems!!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marshman said:

Vaughan - with your huge and vast knowledge I am always wary of contradicting you, but my bird "bibles" suggest that by to the '70's kites had become so critically endangered they were limited to just a few pairs in Central Wales which is why they were reintroduced to the UK in the early 90's. Perhaps you were very lucky - the link below from a Natural England site explains more about their reintroduction.

https://naturalengland.blog.gov.uk/2020/07/21/a-conservation-success-story-the-reintroduction-of-red-kites-30-years-ago/

What it does show is how a bird without a "higher" predator can spread - ring necked parakeets are a complete nuisance in places and are all over London. They are even some in Norwich but expect more as time goes on - although I understand peregrines like them! That was not a reintroduction though as they are "escapees" which seem to like the climate - however unlikely that seems!!!!

I quite agree with you but all the same : There were red kites around the marshes of the Yare in the 1950s and they were quite common.

I saw them with own eyes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, marshman said:

I wonder why they died out so rapidly then?

Probably rodenticides becoming more widespread.

Either that, or gamekeepers shooting them. I shoot, so wouldn't suggest the latter happens amongst reputable keepers these days, but standards were different back then and Kite do seem to quickly build numbers and become problematic.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, catcouk said:

it has always felt somehow special cruising in such a busy place with so many spectators.

Ha ha. Our last visit was much enlivened by crowds of opposing football supporters (Norwich and Spurs - last game of the season) offering drinks and advice. All pretty good humoured, hope it stayed that way.

• Like 2

When I saw this boat coming up the river earlier (in the rain), I was convinced one unlucky crew member had been sent out to be the windscreen wiper. Turns out, he had just chosen that moment to go out and clean the windows!

DSC00286.JPG

• Like 1

We were away from Norwich Yacht Station by 7.30 this morning - I was surprised to see we weren't the first to leave. We turned using the inlet at Pull's Ferry (mainly to enjoy the view) and then we set off down the Wensum. A bit more space under Trowse this morning (just over 9ft) and our odyssey down the Yare commenced.

Whilst the morning was overcast, it was warm enough and even the wind wasn't that bad (we wouldn't be thinking that for too long). Several rowers and some canoeists were out on the river above Postwick Viaduct and it was all just lovely. There was a women's 8 team out training and I have to admit being impressed with that sight. Seeing 8 people working in such a coordinated fashion was very impressive and I'm sure it has taken a lot of hard work.

It's about here that I must admit to a most shameful crime. I have been diligently keeping a box of recycling from our waste in the hopes of finding a recycling bin (seriously, why aren't there any). I had left the box on the aft deck last night to leave us space inside and completely forgotten. Somewhere around Thorpe, a gust of wind took the box and scattered the contents across the river. I am so sorry. My attempt to do my bit for the planet has seen a load of cardboard and a few aluminium cans sent to the briny deep. I am really gutted. (As the wife had gone back to bed, I had no chance of carrying out a man overboard procedure, not to mention the wind. Growl.)

My annoyance to one side, the transit to Brundall was lovely but uneventful. As we're intending to travel everywhere, our return journey down the Yare necessitated a few detours. The first was a lovely jaunt through Bargate Broad. Knowing my Dad, we must have travelled through here when I was younger but I have no memory of it. I was surprised to find the Broad totally open and not in channels. A pleasant alternative to Brundall's marinas.

The second detour came after the arrival of a delicious bacon butty (and some reheated chips that we really shouldn't have had). We used 'The Fleet' to take us onto Rockland Broad. Mrs Catcouk was diligently watching out in the hopes of seeing an elusive kingfisher - she didn't find one. I was once again surprised - this time to find the speed limit increase over Rockland Broad to 5mph (it makes total sense, I just expected the 3mph limit to remain like Bargate). I did remember this Broad from the channel markers (but, again, that was a childhood memory).

We went all the way down the dyke to the staithe. Both the wife and I agree this must make a great place to stay so we've put it on our to do list. No time to stop today though - we're on a mission to make Beccles.

The wind was really making itself known by the time we passed Beachamp Arms. As we travelled along the straight section from Langley Dyke to Cantley, the wind was firmly behind us giving us a push but I was intrigued by the sight of the 'bathtub' coming towards us. Firstly, I always find the sight of bathtubs on the Southern Rivers odd - I can't imagine travelling all the way from Acle to Reedham (and beyond) and being below the height of the reeds (absolutely no judgement on anyone that does)! On this occasion though, it was more the wave action on her hull that took my interest - she had spray coming over the height of the cabin on some waves thanks to the wind. It looked very dramatic - almost as though the bathtub was pretending to be a cross-Channel ferry!

It was about this time that the boy took the helm. He's been getting pretty good so I have been sitting on the bench opposite just giving instruction. But, as we passed Hardley Mill (also added to the to do list), an enormous gust took us of course. I leapt across the boat to get us back but it was a bit all over the place. Moonlight Shadow was moored up there (I'm sure they're represented here) and I apologise for the ridiculous display of boat handling!

I was aware that the Yare had been designated a 'red' flood risk area and so it came as little surprise to find a few moorings flooded/submerged. Cantley was particularly bad and I felt for the private owners who have their boats there. I'm sure all that time having the hull hit the quayside can't be good! On the other hand, the moorings at Hardley Cross were well above the waterline (I'm guessing a more recent renovation with this outcome in mind?).

We'd planned on having a lunch break at Reedham. Passing the pretty flooded Reedham Ferry moorings (and the closed ferry) was a bit of a warning. We made preparations to moor but I made the call quite early on to abandon the plan. My binoculars confirmed the water was overtopping the quay in places and I have no desire to see my own hull bashing against the concrete. Not to mention that Mrs Catcouk has no keenness to get wet feet when she goes ashore!

Passing under Reedham bridge (only about 9ft clearance showing), we continued on course for Beccles and headed down the Haddiscoe cut. I really wasn't looking forward to this as I knew the 40mph winds were going to be hitting us side on and I also know how narrow the cut can be. Maybe taking the two hour detour via Berney Arms would have been advisable but I really didn't fancy that.

As we entered the channel, I was relieved to see we had it to ourselves. It felt almost as if we had to travel sideways down the channel to keep our position. Of course it felt way more than it really was but, even pointing into wind, I still found us occasionally on the wrong side. About a third of the way along, I thought I noticed a change under the flyover and, again, binoculars confirmed another cruiser. Then another. And two more. It felt tight but, even with all of us sliding diagonally along, it was okay. I am going to mention my grumpiness with one of the cruisers. A sizeable private cruiser actually overtook a hirer and continued down the middle of the channel at great speed leaving a huge wash. I imagine it was already difficult for the hirer with this crosswind but that couldn't have helped much and felt really unnecessary. Actually, I know they were finding it hard going as I saw them outside the markers several times before we passed. Hopefully they are through without issue - the Ant saw enough drama for the Broads today (a capsized yacht if you haven't read it elsewhere - my thoughts with the crew and hope all are well).

I wanted a break and, having passed Reedham, chose to moor at Somerleyton to see the bridge height. The guage at the moorings read just 7ft which meant we wouldn't pass. I read up on the procedures for opening the bridge only to look up and see it had opened up since we had moored. I don't recall ever needing to pass an open bridge so I was unsure what would happen.

Anyways, we decided to have a little stroll to see what was nearby. Not a lot was the answer. I'm not sure what it says about us as parents, but our son requested that we 'go to the pub'. We duly did and found the Dukes Head to be lovely. We stayed for a drink (as I needed to recover and recharge after the long walk up the lane - I didn't use my mobility scooter this time) and really enjoyed the surroundings.

Having checked the train times for Haddiscoe, I reasoned the bridge would need to close around 1.30 so we set off again around 1.20. I was a bit excited to pass through the open bridge but a bit disappointed we didn't get a chance to request it opened just for us (maybe I'd let the power goto my head though). We had a drizzly and very windy trip up the Waveney. I looked on sadly at the Waveney River Centre - I will miss their showers!

Despite the constant strong headwind and crosswind, we made good time arriving around 3.30 (the GPS speedo very much used to ensure no speed limits broken - I don't want to do any more damage to the Broads today). The stern mooring was stressful as, again, the very strong cross wind was not helping. I did manage to avoid bumping into the next boat but I was nowhere near where I had planned for. The wind just pushed us down too quick. Furthermore, no amount of helm control would bring the bow back round so, like everyone else, we've ended up at about a 10 to 20 degree angle. I knew the key was getting the windward stern line on first but I don't think I aimed for the right one or for it to be tight enough.

I was very pleased of the assistance from our neighbours who had moored minutes before us and had experienced the same. Embarrassingly, I was recognised from one of my YouTube videos again. Seriously, I have done a wide range of things on YouTube for years (purely for my own and friends' amusement) and I have never been 'recognised' - now twice in one week!?!? Anyways, our neighbours from Solihull were very friendly and helpful having ended up here themselves unexpectedly as they had been turned away from Breydon (during the closure due to wind earlier today). My intention was to have a quick explore of the high street and head to the nearby BA moorings for free within the 2 hours limit.

We found a delightful and very colourful ice cream and cake shop. The boy had a custom made ice cream to his exact specification whilst the wife had something a bit simpler and I had an awesome banana milkshake. One of the ladies that served us went to the college right next door to our house back in Sussex - small world! We bought cakes to have with dinner later (a delicious 'Hoisin shredded pork wraps' recipe from our Hello Fresh box & the best so far ths week). At the time of writing, all of us have cake left to eat tomorrow (as the portions were HUGE).

After a brief play in the awesome play park here, our two hours free mooring were nearly up. Just as we were about to head around to the BA moorings (we had literally one line left to take of) something happened. I won't say what for fear of getting anyone in trouble or setting a precedent but all that matters is that there is a really friendly guy at the yacht station who really believes in what he does and the ethos of the Broads.

As I write this, we remain at the yacht station bumping around in the wind - quite pleasantly really. I can't make the stern lines any tighter or the mud weight any heavier. Also, after quite the ordeal stern mooring here (effectively twice with the ropes) my Long Covid has struck. I'm having to type this up tonight whilst lying in bed. I've definitely overdone it today and I'm hoping it doesn't spoil our time in Great Yarmouth tomorrow!

I might post a few individual pictures but the rest will have to wait for the morning!

• Like 8
  • Love 1

Got this snap of Melody II using the zoom lens from Beccles Old Road bridge. Looks quite straight from here (how the camera has lied!).

DSC00309.JPG

• Like 1

My phone stopped being a pest so here is the rest (including what I thought was a cool zoom shot down the New Cut).DSC00295.thumb.JPG.846f3c699d604e7a646968c09b3a52c2.JPG

And I just rediscovered how to put pictures in line with the text. Sorry everyone - I could have done that with tonight's post...

DSC00298.JPG

DSC00299.JPG

DSC00294.JPG

IMG_20240409_161226.jpg

IMG_20240409_094450.jpg

IMG_20240409_093627.jpg

IMG_20240409_075109.jpg

• Like 6