A Holiday (on) Melody

1 hour ago, catcouk said:
4 hours ago, kpnut said:

Be careful with this wind today and check with GY yacht station that Breydon is open to hire craft before venturing too far down there if that’s planned for today. 

Expand  

I have been keeping a very keen eye out for any updates about Breydon being closed. We're just about to depart Stacey Arms and all seems okay at the moment so fingers crossed!

Oh good. I haven’t seen any either. Bumpy crossing ahead 😄

I realised after I wrote it that it might have come across as being very condescending. My apologies, certainly not intentional. 

7 hours ago, kpnut said:

Oh good. I haven’t seen any either. Bumpy crossing ahead 😄

I realised after I wrote it that it might have come across as being very condescending. My apologies, certainly not intentional. 

Not at all. I think we all have a responsibility to help each other out and keep our community safe. I apologise if my reply had sounded uffish - it wasn't meant to. The limitations of the written word!

The morning after the night before… It was a loud and bumpy night aboard Melody II. Try as I might, I could not persuade a key fender to stay below the quay head so, every time another gust hit us, the rubbing strips creaked painfully along the mooring’s woodwork. For hours. And hours. Yawn… Thanks to the Long Covid, I tend to only get a few hours of sleep at a time anyway so I know we had a quiet spell about 2. (Before anyone suggests lowering the fender, tell me how you did trying to unsplice (desplice?) a rope in the dark first… ha ha.)

The noisiest night’s sleep I’ve ever had on a boat aside, the morning we found ourselves in was positively glorious! Ignoring the wind (at your peril as I found later), we had bright sunshine, miles of blue sky, and it was even warm enough to only need a jumper outside. Lovely.

Our second day started properly with a traditional saunter around the cute little Ludham Bridge Stores. We got the essential duck food and, much to my disappointment, our son got a new toy. A very noisy toy. And weird too – why does a toy train need to play some sort of regal fanfare after making the terrible chuffing and choo choo sounds? The absolute highlight though was finding Dollies Bakery still going strong after their move here from Wroxham last year. £14 saw us walk out with a variety of delicious baked goods: a cookie, a pain au chocolate, two ENORMOUS sausage rolls, and something called a bacon and cheese bostok. All of it absolutely stunning (albeit at a premium price).

Having ignored the wind to enjoy the beauty, it was time to cast off. And for those that spotted my foreshadowing, yes, I cocked it up wonderfully. It took FOUR attempts for us to get off the mooring against the wind. I had chosen (correctly, I believe, but put myself here to be judged) to maintain the bow line and use the engine to put the aft into the river. The truth is, I either hadn’t accepted just how strong the wind was or, as in our final effort, needed to be braver about how far to stick out into the river. 45 degrees wasn’t enough but nearly 90 was a success.

My boat handling self esteem was renewed after passing through Ludham Bridge without a single bump (not an easy task when you have considerable crosswinds on the approach, a completely dead spot as you pass through, and then a sudden gust as you exit). Although it was less than a minute after our woeful cast off, I had taken time to line up the boat and consider the angle of approach with relation to the wind. I was also ready to steer into the wind – it wasn’t catching me out again! I assume I did well as the boat that came through after us seemed to be playing bumper boats through there and the wife even reported they were looking stuck as we went round the corner out of view. They must have made it out though as they caught up to us.

Aside from a bit of traffic along the Bure between the mouths of the Ant and Thurne, and a few boats around Acle, it honestly felt like we had the river to ourselves this morning. Amazing. The wind was making itself very much known (as would become a theme today) – coming around a corner onto a headwind could drop our speed by over 1mph. After Acle though, and the wind (and tide) were definitely behind us. We arrived at Stracey Arms in good time. We could have even stopped at Stokesby (which has never had a space when we’ve passed) but the boy decided on a pyjama day and the play park was not on his to do list.

We love having a stroll around Stracey Arms to look at the animals and only last year found the café (which feels hidden past the shop). The wife and I had some very sizeable milkshakes and our son has the biggest portion of chips you could ever see. I chatted with the lady owner about their plans (mainly so I could answer a forum post from a few weeks back).

With the wind helping us this time, casting off was a doddle and we headed for Great Yarmoth. I’d been keeping an eye on the yacht station’s notifications on Facebook as I was half expecting the BA to close Breydon Water to hire craft. But, an hour before low tide, we were able to pass through (following another boat) with ease. Well… passing the yacht station with ease.

Now look, I know as much as the next Broads boater that low water slack is the best time for a crossing. As best I can tell, we were only 90 minutes ahead of that and (I thought incorrectly) would be within the last twelfth of the tide (rule of twelfths if you know it). I hadn’t counted on the fact that low tide takes longer to reach points the further upriver to go. With the engine on full, the best we could achieve was 3.4mph (on our GPS speedo - and yes, less than 4mph). To be fair, the phenomenal head wind (with a slight bit of crosswind) was very much hindering our progress too. Despite this, we crossed Breydon in about an hour which I didn’t think was too bad all considered.

We saw some great wildlife though. Although I was focussing hard on course made good without the help of a compass (the first time I’ve really had to do that on the Broads), the wife was in her element. Armed with binoculars and my zoom lens camera, she saw all sorts of wading birds. Having said that, I think my photo of an oyster catcher sat on a lateral channel marker on the Bure is better. But not all boats crossing Breydon were having such a lovely time…

Two boats behind us was one of Herbert Woods new bathtubs (they do look really smart). On multiple occasions, the wind took them past the green (starboard) channel markers – on one particularly worrying incident, by several boat lengths! I was glad to see them get back into the middle of the channel after that. The same could not be said for a little boat chilling out by the Waveney/Yare junction. Sat high and dry on the mud was this little cruiser well past the red (port) channel markers. Mrs Catcouk did ask if everyone was off – I could only assume all was okay as we had literally just past the big Breydon ranger launch.

PROOF READ COPY WITH ADDITIONS (too late to edit, sorry)

As we turned up the Yare, I was really hoping for more progress. Alas no. Great Yarmouth to Reedham was practically into the wind the entire time. Passing Reedham at Low Water, I was convinced the wind was causing us more problems that the tide (unless the tide was late today?). We were doing well if 4mph appeared on the Speedo. A few boats crept passed us but only just - I think they were struggling as much as us.

We were very excited to pass under the swing bridge at exactly the same time as a train going over – what are the chances? At this point, and long overdue, my son took the helm. I had intended to allow him the helm on Breydon Water but that did not feel sensible today! He did a great job passing the moorings and even steered us past the chain ferry (something I was never allowed to do when I was younger). Of course, I was right by his side the entire time and would have taken over if required.

Eventually (and worryingly later than hoped), we entered the ridiculously narrow and windy mouth of the River Chet. Whilst I am always very nervous around these bends, I secretly hope it helps to keep people away from this amazingly beautiful and quiet spot. I think it is quieter than the Bure above Wroxham (at least in my experience). We saw some amazing wildlife again - even an eagle sort of thing (yes, I really need to improve my birds of prey identification skills).

I know that moorings on the staithe are limited so an arrival time of 1740 was really not ideal – I had actually consigned myself to a spot of Pyes Mill. But, to our delight, there was loads of room! Half an hour after us, another stern moored alongside and there was a further boat that could have moored up but, oddly, decided just to turn around and go again.

I can’t exactly put my finger on why but I absolutely love it here. We popped over to the corner shop for some dessert and an all important key ring for the family key ring collection. After tonight’s delicious (but unpronounceable) noodle dish, the boy and I popped out to take some photos and found a delightful little community space on the Chedgrave side. The sky was once again fantastic – first appearing in the reflection of our neighbour and then I spotted it silhouetting the mill. Just gorgeous.

Relieved to have finally found some peace, quiet, and (most importantly) shelter from the wind, we are now settled down for a peaceful night before an early start tomorrow. Despite the worry about crossing Breydon today, we remain on track to achieve our ‘Grand Tour’ and have Norwich (and Whitlingham Country Park) in our sights for tomorrow. Quite by accident, we’re in Norwich on the same day as some family we see all too infrequently, so we’re going to catch up and play some ‘putt putt (crazy) golf’. Less boating tomorrow but I do love the cruise into Norwich as it is so different from anywhere else (yeah, it isn’t nature focused but it is definitely different).

Pictures to follow (if I can get our boat’s Wifi to work or find another Richardson’s boat have left theirs on…). Also, posted before re-read as the connection (even on my neighbours 'Platinum' wifi) is pretty dire... [Thanks to L062 for the Wifi... - now reread and updated]

• Like 5

Photos...

If anyone can identify the bird of prey, do please let us know. We couldn't believe how close to us it was. Beautiful!

DSC00176.JPG

DSC00179.JPG

DSC00182.JPG

DSC00188.JPG

DSC00190.JPG

DSC00196.JPG

DSC00199.JPG

DSC00212.JPG

DSC00218.JPG

DSC00223.JPG

IMG_20240407_194749.jpg

IMG_20240407_194849.jpg

• Like 6

And also...

The wife and I were very amused by the very modern 'top-up' poster in the window of Ludham Bridge Stores - love it!

Has anyone ever noticed just how much Oby Drainage Mill looks just like a giant Dalek?

Good night all.

IMG_20240407_084538.jpg

DSC00187.JPG

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, catcouk said:

Not at all. I think we all have a responsibility to help each other out and keep our community safe. I apologise if my reply had sounded uffish - it wasn't meant to. The limitations of the written word!

Don’t be daft, I’m happy you got over Breydon. 

Last time I did it, I was the last boat across before it was shut for storm whatever. We literally bounced down that stretch between Berney Arms and Reedham, the fenders seating themselves up on deck at one point and one trying its best to come in the helm window. 

And you are certainly not alone with that scenario of the stern wanting to stick itself to the bank in windy conditions. I think Ludham Bridge is one of the worst places for it, no matter that we think about it and do all the logical stuff. 

That photo of all the food looks like you were at a party!

And a beautiful reflection indeed. 

• Like 2

The crossing was disappointingly smooth - I guess that was the effect on wind WITH tide. It was just a so and so to steer through!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, catcouk said:

Has anyone ever noticed just how much Oby Drainage Mill looks just like a giant Dalek?

I think that’s its nickname. I’m so pleased to see it has a new made to measure tarp cap to try to stop any further deterioration. 

Have fun tomorrow. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, catcouk said:

The wife and I were very amused by the very modern 'top-up' poster in the window of Ludham Bridge Stores - love it!

One2one and BT Cellnet were both rebranded in 2002. A 22 year old sign isn't that unusual though - got to remember you're working with Norfolk time :default_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, catcouk said:

have Norwich (and Whitlingham Country Park) in our sights for tomorrow.

I don’t think we are allowed to moor at Whitlingham any longer (much to my disappointment, it was a great place for dog walks). There was news some time ago that it wouldn’t be a BA mooring any longer and the electric posts were taken away. Last time we passed there were some no mooring signs attached to the quay heading, which one of two live aboard were ignoring. 

• Confused 1

30 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

I don’t think we are allowed to moor at Whitlingham any longer (much to my disappointment, it was a great place for dog walks). There was news some time ago that it wouldn’t be a BA mooring any longer and the electric posts were taken away. Last time we passed there were some no mooring signs attached to the quay heading, which one of two live aboard were ignoring. 

Several websites (even some reputable ones) still list it as a valid mooring but, crucially, neither the BA or the park itself mention it. There is a post on the BA Facebook page from 2021 stating a closure so it seems our detour is cancelled. Seems a real shame. Boo...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

We arrived at Norwich well ahead of time (as we were denied mooring at Whitlingham - seems a real shame) so I thought I'd post my pictures whilst enjoying a Pizza Hut buffet.

Turns out that using the zoom lens and helming is quite tricky so apologies for the blur. Also, is there a more majestic sight than that vista seen by mariners on the approach to the centre of Norwich... Ha ha.

DSC00245.JPG

DSC00242.JPG

DSC00232.JPG

IMG_20240408_105745.jpg

IMG_20240408_075416.jpg

• Like 5

How was the height of your boat going under all the bridges into Norwich please? I’ve not done that stretch and those bridges don’t seem to get mentioned as ones to watch. But when we stayed near the river a few years back I didn’t think they looked that high and did see one boat turn round. 

The lowest Norwich bridge is around 9ft at high tide so shouldn't be a problem for most hire boats.  This info did come from the BA bridge height guide which also shows Wroxham at 7ft 3" and Potter at 6ft 6" as average for summer high tide...... We should be so lucky!! :default_icon_rolleyes:

• Like 2

Could that bird be a red kite? My son spotted a couple of birds that he thought were red kites when we were on the Broads last month. I read somewhere that they are starting to appear on the Broads, which is probably bad news, as they could push out marsh harriers. Red kites are becoming a pest in certain areas of the chiltern hills. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Could that bird be a red kite? My son spotted a couple of birds that he thought were red kites when we were on the Broads last month. I read somewhere that they are starting to appear on the Broads, which is probably bad news, as they could push out marsh harriers. Red kites are becoming a pest in certain areas of the chiltern hills. 

If you see a bird of prey flying in the Cambridgeshire fens, half the time these days it's a Red Kite. Hamerton Zoo recently counted 42 at once, as they scavenge meat destined for the big cats. There's a waste site nearby and there's an almost constant cloud of them circling above it like vultures. Supposedly, there's something like 40-50 breeding pairs around here, but it's obvious that it's far more. It's easy to see why they became persecuted in the past, as no doubt they'll drive other bird of prey and possibly some corvids out.

• Like 1

The red kite has indeed become more established locally over the last year or so, but both the buzzards, and indeed kites do not seem to stray too much over the reedbeds at the moment where the marsh harrier still seems to be the order of the day - not sure how this will play out in the end.

The local buzzards are temporarily seeing off the red kite but as the kite is slightly bigger that may not last and at the end of the day, I guess it will all come down to food sources. It would be a massive shame to see the marsh harrier pushed out of its traditional hunting grounds but I wouldn't like to hazard a guess which will dominate in say, 15 years time!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

No Helen, this is a red Kite :default_biggrin: x

shyam-G6TsQ-KayBw-unsplash.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, SwanR said:

How was the height of your boat going under all the bridges into Norwich please? I’ve not done that stretch and those bridges don’t seem to get mentioned as ones to watch. But when we stayed near the river a few years back I didn’t think they looked that high and did see one boat turn round. 

Only really the Trowse swing bridge to worry about. This year, we have 7'08" and had 8'5" indicated. It certainly must a be squeeze with anything with a fly bridge! Having said that, I think they have a 2ft tidal range even up here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1