Liveaboard Friendly ( Official Or Unoffical) Marinas/yard Norfolk

Natasha52

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

So what's your solution, Fred? Shall we just lock 'em all up and get them out of the way?

It has become obvious that the BA would like to. . . .

There is no one solution, this is a national problem not a BA one or one they have the powers to resolve, the opportunity to apply for planning exists if any one wanted to provide residential moorings but as the current moorings are usually fully subscribed where is the extra capacity coming from, Natural England have as big a say in Re or new developments as the BA.

The ones who are the main problem don't want or wouldn't use permanent moorings.

Fred

3 hours ago, rightsaidfred said:

the opportunity to apply for planning exists if any one wanted to provide residential moorings

Sorry, but you just haven't been reading, or have preferred to ignore, my previous posts.  So what was Jenners Basin supposed to be, then?  The planning existed and the moorings were provided, at an affordable rate. 

But we can't have them spoiling the view from our lounge windows, can we?

Which, funnily enough, had a great deal to do with the BA's persecution of Jenners, all along.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Sorry, but you just haven't been reading, or have preferred to ignore, my previous posts.  So what was Jenners Basin supposed to be, then?  The planning existed and the moorings were provided, at an affordable rate. 

But we can't have them spoiling the view from our lounge windows, can we?

Which, funnily enough, had a great deal to do with the BA's persecution of Jenners, all along.

With all due respect we are well aware of your connections to and feelings towards Jenners, the courts saw it differently.

Fred

• Sad 1

To save anymore confusion the issue is not liveaboards, most of us accept and don't have a problem with people choosing to live on boats, what is unacceptable is anti-social behavior or worse, it is not accepted in any other part of society so why is it permissable on a boat.

I cannot buy a caravan and just set up home in a laybye or on someone else's property without action being taken so why should we accept it on the waterways without question.

Fred

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

With all due respect we are well aware of your connections to and feelings towards Jenners, the courts saw it differently.

Well, I would suggest that the amount the BA were prepared to pay for lawyers (at our expense) persuaded the courts to see it differently.  Have you never heard of a travesty of justice?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Well, I would suggest that the amount the BA were prepared to pay for lawyers (at our expense) persuaded the courts to see it differently.  Have you never heard of a travesty of justice?

Many times but see my last post

Fred

9 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

To save anymore confusion the issue is not liveaboards, most of us accept and don't have a problem with people choosing to live on boats, what is unacceptable is anti-social behavior or worse, it is not accepted in any other part of society so why is it permissable on a boat.

I have a feeling you are "painting yourself into a corner".

Anti-social behaviour is accepted since it exists on the streets of every town and city in the British Isles, while the police, who have the powers, have rendered themselves powerless to prevent it.  And I speak as an ex Norfolk   special constable.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

What am I supposed to see?  Jenners Basin was not a lay-by.

As far as I know you are the only one talking about Jenners Basin, I and possibly others have only commented on those abusing 24hr moorings and treating the environment as a dumping ground, you are entitled to your standpoint and I am mine that dosnt make either of us right.

Fred

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

What am I supposed to see?  Jenners Basin was not a lay-by.

Hi Vaughan. Surely the basin was built for the hire fleet. Hearts, Jenners, Wards and of course the owners of the complex. 

It was never intended as a place for Liveraboards (LA). 

The demise of the company left a vacuum. The Jenner Basin. 

A wonderful opportunity for the LA. A great opportunity for the LA and the BA to reach a valuable relationship, however denied by the latter.

44 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

I have a feeling you are "painting yourself into a corner".

Anti-social behaviour is accepted since it exists on the streets of every town and city in the British Isles, while the police, who have the powers, have rendered themselves powerless to prevent it.  And I speak as an ex Norfolk   special constable.

Vaughan I have no wish to make this a personal argument but ex says a lot, where I live London anti-social behaviour is treated seriously, most people I am aquantied with on the Broads feel the same as I do.

We are both of a similar generation, the past is just that we have to move on and live with what today presents us with and that includes accepting that society has changed and sadly respect for others has declined with it.

Free

7 minutes ago, Wussername said:

Hi Vaughan. Surely the basin was built for the hire fleet. Hearts, Jenners, Wards and of course the owners of the complex. 

Sorry old chap, but it wasn't.  The basin was part of a 3 phase planning approval, for use as marina moorings attached to a sports centre and clubhouse.  As it happens, Jenners ran out of money before the 3rd phase was realised.  All the same I worked there at the time - and so did you - and I don't remember the basin being used for anything other than moorings.  It was never used for the turn-round of hire boats, since no facilities, such as water, electric and pumpouts, were ever attached to it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Sorry old chap, but it wasn't.  The basin was part of a 3 phase planning approval, for use as marina moorings attached to a sports centre and clubhouse.  As it happens, Jenners ran out of money before the 3rd phase was realised.  All the same I worked there at the time - and so did you - and I don't remember the basin being used for anything other than moorings.  It was never used for the turn-round of hire boats, since no facilities, such as water, electric and pumpouts, were ever attached to it.

On reflection you are absolutely correct it was never used for hire boats as a turnaround.

Regards to you both.

Andrew and Anne.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

As far as I know you are the only one talking about Jenners Basin, I and possibly others have only commented on those abusing 24hr moorings and treating the environment as a dumping ground, you are entitled to your standpoint and I am mine that dosnt make either of us right.

Perhaps the scandal of Jenners basin is very soon forgotten these days.

You are rather quick to condemn these people.  Have you ever been one?  Do you understand their way of life?

Never mind, Fred - very soon by the sound of it, we will be able to load them all on an aircraft and fly them off somewhere else.  Then you can enjoy the place from your own perspective.

22 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

We are both of a similar generation, the past is just that we have to move on and live with

Surely the Broads, and the pleasure we all get from them, are steeped in history?  And the history of the Broads contains the basic concept of living on boats.  Your confusion of this tradition, with litter louts, appears blinkered and biased.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Surely the Broads, and the pleasure we all get from them, are steeped in history?  And the history of the Broads contains the basic concept of living on boats.  Your confusion of this tradition, with litter louts, appears blinkered and biased.

I have known 2 or 3 liveaboards on the Broads for a number of years and several on my local river going back to the 1950s all of whom behave no differently to you and me and with the same level of respect for their surroundings and those around them, that is not the issue and I don't know anyone who would find fault with them, it's not where you live but how you conduct yourself that matters, just because you live on a boat doesn't absolve you from behaving in a lawful manner or respecting the Environment regardless of your personal circumstances.

Fred

• Like 4

I feel really sorry for Natasha who started this thread.

Perhaps its time for the mods to prune out anything not directly related to Natasha's original request to one of the hundreds of other threads that have already discussed the other issues ad infinitum?

I know we have a tendency to wander off topic, but this is not a good welcome to a new member!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Meantime said:

I feel really sorry for Natasha who started this thread.

Perhaps its time for the mods to prune out anything not directly related to Natasha's original request to one of the hundreds of other threads that have already discussed the other issues ad infinitum?

I know we have a tendency to wander off topic, but this is not a good welcome to a new member!

I feel for her too. She hasn't come back, is it any wonder :facepalm:We do go off topic sometimes, it's the way it is but please can we help Natasha if she comes back and not make her feel she is some sort of criminal for wanting to stay on her boat

Grace x

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Yes, I apologise if I have been somewhat responsible for this, I would qualify that by saying that anyone considering doing this needs to be aware of both the upside and downside of what they are contemplating, also that the Broads is not necessarily the best equipped waterway for that lifestyle.

Fred  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

also that the Broads is not necessarily the best equipped waterway for that lifestyle.

But it always used to be, and I speak as a live-aboard.  Think of all those houseboats, available for hire by Blakes and Hoseasons in the 60's and 70's.  Where are they now?

Banned by the BA.  What has changed is the attitude of authority.

I also wish Natasha a good success in finding something which will accommodate her in peace and without prejudice.  All the same, she needs to be aware that this will be an uphill battle, these days.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

But it always used to be, and I speak as a live-aboard.  Think of all those houseboats, available for hire by Blakes and Hoseasons in the 60's and 70's.  Where are they now?

Banned by the BA.  What has changed is the attitude of authority.

I also wish Natasha a good success in finding something which will accommodate her in peace and without prejudice.  All the same, she needs to be aware that this will be an uphill battle, these days.

Some still exist, Wroxham,Horning, Wayford, Hickling, others are now private marina moorings, sorry no disrespect but its time to leave the past in the past and move on, not everything is the BAs fault.

Fred 

• Like 2

I know we sometimes drift off thread but in my opinion a lot of the above is insensitive and rude. 

So let's see if we can make amends by helping the lady out shall we?

Natasha has been communicating with me away from the forum. Her boat is an Elysian 27 currently on hard standing at St.Olaves marina. She has already been offered a mooring there but there is much work to do before it floats. Engine is a Perkins 4107.

Natasha is completely new to boats so needs sound advice and guidance. Is there anyone local to St Olaves who could take a look at the boat for her and offer guidance as to how much work needs to be done?

At the very least I think we could help her to add desirability to the boat.

• Like 8

There is a good team at St Olaves and I believe John Spruce is certainly authorised to work on site there and may even work for the marina now. Natasha could do a lot worse than let him take a look over the boat. In terms of Natasha's original request St Olaves probably fits the bill, onsite laundry facilties, electric and water, plus it's about a mile walk to Haddiscoe station if she needs to commute into Norwich or further afield by train.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, annv said:

Hi perhaps you would like this for neighbour. And yes he dosn't have a toilet. John

liver board 002.jpg

Are you suggesting that the bottles along the side shown in the pic, are full of sewerage? and if so are you sure of this?

It looks to me very much like it's used vegetable oil settling, for use as fuel.

• Like 4