Hosepipe ban WILL hurt boaters

MY littleboat

The standard accessory "pond and water butt" pickup tubes sold for most pressure washers incorporate their own filter, approved and supplied as OEM equipment.

Why go to the trouble of a dirty water pump, when the pressure washer functions perfectly well without one ?

The volume of water being drawn up is a lot less than most people would envisage.

I received this email from AW this morning.

We can confirm that if the water is being used for domestic purposes like washing up on a boat and for food preparation, a hosepipe can be used. The use of a hose to wash down a boat is not allowed.

Thank you

Anglian Water Customer Services

Well all's well with the world then isnt it... cheers

• 4 weeks later...

The info in that article reflects what we were originally told. So what constitutes washing for H and S purposes? Just to clarify the answer given by Anglian Water, it is any occasion where you believ the build up of salt, green algae or other materials that YOU believe could interfere with the safe operation of your boat, not what someone else feels is acceptable.

Just to reiterate, alot of the Southern Broads are covered by Suffolk and Essex water and not covered currently by a ban

• 2 weeks later...

Had a card through the door from the local gardner, he will come and water our garden for £5 using our hose and water - again working on the 'commercial operation' thing. I dont know too many people that do water their gardens these days but those that do will always find someone who can do it for them!

So, let me understand this properly,

Water rate payers (like us) can't use a hose to wash our boat or water our garden because water usage must be reduced till the reservoirs fill up again.

Yet it's perfectly legal to pay a someone to use our hoses and our water for our same private purpose, purely because they are a business.

is that right ?

We do not live in a hose pipe ban area but then who needs a hose pipe when it DOES NOT STOP RAINING!!!.

GOING STIR CRAZY WITH ALL THIS RAIN - not a question of "who clapped" it is a question of "who mentioned the word 'drought'".

Can someone please find the stop cock and turn the dam thing off please, had enough of this game, really have.

So, let me understand this properly,

Water rate payers (like us) can't use a hose to wash our boat or water our garden because water usage must be reduced till the reservoirs fill up again.

Yet it's perfectly legal to pay a someone to use our hoses and our water for our same private purpose, purely because they are a business.

is that right ?

Absolutely correct............ the inmates are in control of the asylum :cry:cry:cry

If your boat is in a marina and the marina were to pay people say the sum of 1p to wash a boat in there in the interest of protecting there business by stopping it becoming full of unattractive dirty boats, would that be ok?

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

Well he is and is a well known garden maintenance company based in East Anglia - so we will see if he gets away with it. That aside, Anglian Water have now produced so many of these guides and changed the wording that I bet there will be a few more loopholes

ie, They have categorically stated that washing aboat to remove salt is perfectly allowed under the Health and Safety banner (I and another forum have copies of this letter)

If your boat is coded, you can wash it with hoses

If not you can pay someone else to do it as like the gardening issue they have exempted eveything that is covered by 'commercial operation where the use of a hose is required' (In the act not the guide notes) and I guess that is what the gardening company are attempting to play on - either way I'm not gonna be worrying too much about my lawn, it is like a lake at the moment!

I for one am not bothered as our boat is outside Anglian Waters area and whilst they are buying in water from Seven Trent on the one hand and selling it to another area on the other. I think that the reality of this hosepipe ban is that it will mean a huge cost increase for the consumer. How do I know that they are selling water to other areas? I was working for the company that has been sucking it up at Alton Water and driving it down to other areas for enough weeks earlier this year to know!

With all this in mind has anyone tried any of the waterless car wash products on the market.

Yes i use them for my Car, and worl really well, you need a Microfibre cloth to put on and a Microfibre cloth to wipe off.

So long as the vehicle isnt too muddy it works really well :)

Having Emailed Anglian Water this is the reply i got,

Motor Homes/Caravans/Boats can use a hosepipe for domestic supply e.g. filling of tanks for drinking water/washing

Also in the case of Boats there is a general exemption for health and safety so for example if the surface of the boat was covered in algae which was slippery and needed cleaning this also would be allowed

Anglian Water Customer Services