The Granary Ranworth

Just seen that one myself. Sounds almost as if, as a result of the Maltsters situation, they're going to rationalise two locations serving food down to one?

• Like 1

That is a real shame. The Granary was lovely as an evening venue. I wonder whether its smaller size made it less viable as a restaurant. We will still go there for morning coffees but are not so likely to go to Ranworth for the Maltsters. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SwanR said:

That is a real shame. The Granary was lovely as an evening venue. I wonder whether its smaller size made it less viable as a restaurant.

I'm sure I said the same a while back during discussion about the Maltsters, but it always seemed to be a battle between the pub and the Granary for customers, even when there were more hire boats out each week, free moorings, and lots more boats mud-weighting overnight with dinghies. Given the amount which they must have spent on the pub kitchen, it's not entirely surprising that they'd consolidate all the food business into one site and that the site they'd choose would be the pub.

It does sadden me to see every time something bad happens with the Granary though. I've spent many, many happy evenings there. When my dad remarried many years ago, they closed for the day and we had the reception there (and I got horrendously drunk :default_biggrin:).

• Like 3

We really enjoyed our meal there back in December. A friend had told me that their young lady chef was exceptional and the food was delicious. But if she’s leaving and the reputation was built on her ability then that might be hard to replicate. We will doubtless still go over there for daytime visits. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, BrundallNavy said:

Just had a lovely meal in the Maltsters not surprised they are not continuing with the granary as they not directly compete against each other. 

Have to agree with you , The Maltsters food is now of a standard that would directly compete with The Granary , and as they are under the same ownership it isn’t good business sense to keep both open in competition with each other , and of course the excellent young chef is moving on to pastures new.

• Like 4

It completely makes sense that the Maltsers and Granary shouldn’t be competing with each other in the evening if they are under the same ownership. Better to have one good venue than none!  It’s good news that The Granary will continue to offer lunches though. There’s more footfall during the day than the evening. 

• Like 2

We have just come back from a week on Bella Maria. Having had meals out most nights I have only been satisfied with one meal. I had a fish pie at one establishment which was very tasty and to be fair was very good. However it was accompanied by a few tinned garden peas and nothing else. So I came away disappointed. With some fresh veg it would have been an excellent meal. Exactly the same thing happened with a casserole from another place. The casserole was very good but no accompanying veg other than a little mash. I won't be going back to either place again. With a little bit of effort they could be so much better. However both places are also very busy so maybe I'm expecting too much. 

• Sad 1