Reedham & Beccles

7 hours ago, Broads01 said:

I've not heard that view expressed before. Having moored at Reedham many times over the years and with a good understanding of the tidal conditions I'm curious to understand why you feel so strongly?

I know what PaulN means. Each time we have moored at Reedham for more than a water stop, we have been bumped. Mainly by novices although a private boat had a go last year. A few years back we had a real bash when a hire boat tried to leave the mooring early morning with the wind and tide behind him, thought he could drive off like in a car. It caused a lot of damage to our hull. It’s always a quick stop at Reedham these days. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Broads01 said:

I've not heard that view expressed before. Having moored at Reedham many times over the years and with a good understanding of the tidal conditions I'm curious to understand why you feel so strongly?

We’re also reticent about mooring there, for two reasons, Simon.  The concrete quay heading is not gel coat friendly and with such large river level variations, it’s difficult to know at what level to set fenders.  The other point is the flow of the river at that point often causes difficulties to inexperienced crews when trying to moor.  All too often, they come in with the tide, rather than against and I’ve witnessed some quite nasty incidents there in the past.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I must have been lucky at Reedham over the years. I must admit, trying to come in to moor there with the tide doesn't bear thinking about. The rangers there do a good job (when they're available) but they can't be in more than one place along the quay at a time.

• Like 3

I have hiring boats on the broads for fifty years and moored at Reedham every year it is one of our favourite stops.

I have. Never been hit by another boat or had issues moorings there.

Just be sensible and adapt to the conditions.

Ray

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Boatingman said:

Just be sensible and adapt to the conditions.

Experienced boaters will certainly do just that. Inexperienced boaters are usually unaware of the conditions and attempt to bring the boat in to the first gap they see quite oblivious to what wind and tide are doing. The Reedham rangers are great, shouting out instructions and guidance and grabbing ropes. Bumps still happen though. We stop at Reedham up to a dozen times each year but it’s always a quick visit these days. 

• Like 2

The swan at Gillingham was mentioned for beccles options,  I can confirm the food is very nice and good price but come hungry and bring a doggie bag,  you won't waste away for sure.

Dogs allowed in bar area where you can eat as well.

It's 0.8 mile from yacht station and the road has a footpath one side.

• Like 4

On 17/07/2024 at 22:47, Broads01 said:

Because a boat moored next to us, took off with the tide behind them and ripped off our rubbing strake. Fortunately being a Rico boat, it was dealt with quickly and repaired perfectly, but too stressful for us to moor there now. It's so easy to moor with a strong tide, but it's the others. The quay is too long for the ranger to be everywhere at once.

So many who hire boats (and I know there are many who exercise great skill), treat boats like dodgem cars and think it doesn't matter. Yet I'm sure they would take great care with a similar value Porsche or Ferrari. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PaulN said:

Because a boat moored next to us, took off with the tide behind them and ripped off our rubbing strake. Fortunately being a Rico boat, it was dealt with quickly and repaired perfectly, but too stressful for us to moor there now. It's so easy to moor with a strong tide, but it's the others. The quay is too long for the ranger to be everywhere at once.

So many who hire boats (and I know there are many who exercise great skill), treat boats like dodgem cars and think it doesn't matter. Yet I'm sure they would take great care with a similar value Porsche or Ferrari. 

Thanks for explaining, I completely understand.