Mooring Ropes.....

seaboater

Hi All,

I've been looking at mooring ropes, perhaps more correctly for the sticklers, warps! Anyway, having thought I'd get a nice new set for bow, stern and fore and aft springs to get a neat look on a new mooring, I've been somewhat appalled by the cost from the likes of Jimmy Green. It seems to be normal for a soft loop at one end to be charged at £8.50 and the rope itself to be anything from £1.20 per metre to £3.50 per metre plus carriage. It's 3 strand polyester.

Anyone know a good value local supplier who can also put loops in at a reasonable price? If not I'll have to just do it with my messy looking bowlines!

Thanks, Pat

PS. I know in theory I could splice myself, but my efforts in the past have been dubious to say the least!  :mrgreen:

Hi,I have tried splicing myself and am not very good so had some done at Norfolk Marine where they put the eyes in the end of my ropes,as I had bought them with the intention to do them myself.cant remember how much,but worth it for me.

Ours were from (DON'T START!) Aldis. brill value at £15 for 15m........ had them for 3 years now and still in good nick.

Why have an eye splice??? I just use a bowline to fasten them to the cleat and then take them off every winter for a wash in the machine. :clap  :clap

Give Barry a shout at boatropes.co.uk, I've had some good deals from him before, polyester braid on braid is nice to handle and can be nicely spliced with a hollow needle fid, nylon is good for a bit of stretch on tidal moorings but doesn't wear as well.

You can tease an eye splice out a bit and re tighten it with braid on braid to get it on to a cleat.

Just a thought on the cheaper ropes at jumbles. I few years ago I bought a couple of mooring ropes , I can never remember which plastic is which. Anyway I paid about £50 for two ropes about 7 metres each with a loop spliced each end I must admit the price made me smart a bit. The following year I bought two seemingly identical ropes at Newark Jumble. Nothing wrong with them as such but they have gone a bit fluffy with a few bobbles whilst the expensive ones are still mint

Hi Pat

Another vote for a boat jumble. We went to the one in Newark last year and got 60m of brand new 3 strand for £50. I do the splices myself and am happy to do them for you if you are ever in the Reedham area.

Just got back from the Stalham Boat Jumble, and as Branden said, plenty of cheap rope there again.

Good turnout as well, the weather really brings people out...

stalham%20boat%20jumble%202013.jpg