UK holidays in 2013

Dan

Whatho Everyone

UK holidays seem to be having a hard time this year, I know everyone will have differing beliefs as to the reasons why, but I wondered if the forum was a good reflection of what the country is up to?

What are peoples outlooks?

Are people having less holidays to normal, are people venturing abroad for more certainty with the weather, are people waiting to see if there are any offers/good weather, and now that some good weather has appeared are people booking things up, and if so is it only family's who are prepared to pay the peak season price now the good weather has landed?

Does anyone feel more inclined to holiday here to help the UK economy more during tougher times for many firms, or is there only me who looks at things like that?! :)

Dan

• Like 1

There will always be a multitude of reasons for the slow holiday trade, weather can be a big one, price, value for money, I don't think you can put it down to a single cause. 

As for the question of taking holidays here to help the economy, did we buy British cars, British televisions, British anything to help the home market, the small minority might but most just go for the best value for money at the time and hang the future.

There will always be a multitude of reasons for the slow holiday trade, weather can be a big one, price, value for money, I don't think you can put it down to a single cause. 

As for the question of taking holidays here to help the economy, did we buy British cars, British televisions, British anything to help the home market, the small minority might but most just go for the best value for money at the time and hang the future.

I agree.  I was just wondering if people on the forum had changed their holiday patterns this year, as clearly a lot of the country have, so with quite a big member base I thought it might be interesting to discuss.

It's an interesting analogy to the British Tele's and cars etc.  My thoughts are that people buy what they like and what is good value.  I think the examples that jump to your mind there are clear examples of where the product was poor so no loyalty existed, or people did but got their fingers burnt so voted with their feet.  Are you saying you consider UK holidays to fit under that same damaging umbrella so they don't get your money?

Dan

I have my own boat so tend to holiday at home but a lot of friends prefer to go abroad, they consider it cheaper, better chance of good weather, more for them and the kids to do, better value in pubs, clubs, and restaurants.

How many people think of hurting the home holiday trade? "very few I think"

I mentioned on another thread about people liking nature, peace and quite, leaving things as they are, yet the same people talk of the WRC as a favourite mooring spot because of the showers, shop, pub, yet they wouldn't be there without change.

• Like 1

Hi dan, I kind of asked the same question a few weeks back, we had a holiday a few months back provided by first choice to Egypt !! All inclusive and I mean all inclusive a good four star complex, Admittedly booked last minute, just me and my partner cost £680 add the car parking @ £40 total total £720... I'm going on my honeymoon next April on the broads ( how I got away with that one il never know ) cost for four nights £700, yeah I might get a bit back on fuel. I own my own haulage firm and I struggle to understand the fuel cost on the broads we buy red diesel and I can assure you it doesn't cost £1,35 a ltr at wholesale ( profiteering ) and il argue that with anyone. You can still hire a boat on the broads that is 30 yrs old that still demands a price tag in the school hols of over 1k a week ( really ) a four night break at whinchealsea beach holiday park in a platinum plus caravan three weeks ago cost me £94 no hidden or extra cost.. ( there letting season is as long as yards on the broads ie march to nov ) I'm actively looking to buy a boat as I personally think yards are taking the pee.. yeah I get it that new boats cost loads, but there still be here in thirty years earning money... sorry if my comments are negertive but I know I'm not the only one who feels the same.

Now that I am semi-retired (the redundancy pay will cover me until I start taking my pension) I have less restrictions on how much holiday I can take, but must consider the costs a bit more...

This year the split will be two trips sailing in Greece (two weeks in May and another four in September / October (as my redundancy present to myself) for me,

and a one week trip to Bonnie Scotland, (instead of our normal week on the Broads) for the extended family.

A stay-cation with a large family costs a lot less than taking them foreign, especially as with school age kids you are restricted to the school holidays when the air-fares etc push the prices to ridiculous levels

If you don't go for the new builds, which are not aimed at large families anyway, the weekly hire charges on the Broads are actually similar to the cost of hiring a house (with eight of us I couldn't call it a cottage), and staying in Britain is a lot cheaper than taking the gang abroad.

Unfortunately our Broads trip last year was basically a disaster, due to a problems with the hire-boat, 

(problems with the batteries / charging circuit and the heating, (we went at Easter instead of the summer)) 

so this year (after four years on the Broads) we are trying somewhere different...

It basically came down to a choice between a different hire yard or going somewhere other than the Broads,

and I decided it was time to expand the kids' knowledge of Britain (before they will all need passports to visit Scotland!).

The house we are hiring in Scotland has been around for a while (Bonnie Prince Charlie reputedly stayed there in 1745),

but it has has a lot spent on modernising it since then, unlike a lot of the older hire-boats still operated by some yards.

• Like 1

We are also lucky enough to own Friday Girl and can basically go out on her when we wish to. But this year is our 25th and we wanted to do something different to celebrate. We looked at Scotland and the various other options here at home but indifferent weather and prices were not good starting points.

In past years we have had sea-going boats (in our eyes, anyway) and we have spent many happy times in Holland; so that was where our thoughts turned to.

We checked with Hoseasons website last November and found their pricing to reflect our Summer school holidays... we were quoted figures around about the £4500 mark for three weeks in August for a 4-berth cruiser.

Fortunately for us we knew that the Dutch Summer school holidays end in late July and so we managed to book directly with a Dutch boatyard. It wasn't easy but we have friends over there and speak a little Dutch ourselves.

The result was this

post-146-0-62971600-1374394915_thumb.jpg

The price was Euro2,500 for the three weeks, which equates to £2100 at recent exchange rates. At £700/week we thought that was good value! You don't need any special knowledge but there is a Euro600 (£500) damage deposit.... more on that if anyone is interested.

...Egypt !! All inclusive and I mean all inclusive a good four star complex, Admittedly booked last minute, just me and my partner cost £680 add the car parking @ £40 total total £720... I'm going on my honeymoon next April on the broads ( how I got away with that one il never know ) cost for four nights £700, yeah I might get a bit back on fuel. I own my own haulage firm and I struggle to understand the fuel cost on the broads we buy red diesel and I can assure you it doesn't cost £1,35 a ltr at wholesale ( profiteering ) and il argue that with anyone. You can still hire a boat on the broads that is 30 yrs old that still demands a price tag in the school hols of over 1k a week ( really ) a four night break at whinchealsea beach holiday park in a platinum plus caravan three weeks ago cost me £94 no hidden or extra cost.. ( there letting season is as long as yards on the broads ie march to nov ) I'm actively looking to buy a boat as I personally think yards are taking the pee.. yeah I get it that new boats cost loads, but there still be here in thirty years earning money... sorry if my comments are negertive but I know I'm not the only one who feels the same.

Interesting Andy, I understand your viewpoint.

I think you got a real bargain with your caravan.  I have had a few good deals hitting my inbox from Park Holidays and the like, but when I was searching for full season 3 days breaks yesterday I couldn't find a basic caravan from one of the major players for much less than about £250 for 3 days in August, and some of the deals on the Broads this year for the same time would see a smaller percentage gap than you found, but I guess off peak the gap may get greater, though this said I hired a 6 berth boat in April for £225 for 3/4 days if I remember right (before fuel & waiver) which I think is superb value.

The fuel may be making a healthy profit, but why is profit such a dirty word.  Without it companies don't exist and staff do not get employed, nor companies expanded.  The accounts of boatyards are out there I guess, but I don't think we really need to see them to know that it is a low profit creating business, so making a little on the fuel (or a lot if you wish) I believe is not really making them massive amounts or adding up to great profits once it is all taken into account, and at least you have the option to fill up or drop a bit in elsewhere whilst you're out if you feel the yard extortionate.

I found that when I had a 27ft boat a few years back with the annual toll, mooring, insurance and the most basic of upkeep I could have 3 weeks a year on well chosen weeks on hirecraft on the Broads, and the added benefit of turning up and going off to enjoy, and no time tinkering/maintaining, and less stress/more enjoyment as a result, so whilst ownership is great and has it's advantages I'm not sure it really adds up to a bargain versus hire costs, though this said perhaps now is a good value time to buy a boat

Dan

I think it really comes down to what makes a good holiday for you.

Some people love to travel aboard – not just to the ‘usual places’ either, but to really feel and soak up another place and culture.  Others would be happy to stay in the UK and go for example to Cornwall, yet others would hear none of that and want sunshine, all in prices and head off to a hotel with a pool along with many other families from Britain.

I think when it comes to boating it is being sold increasingly for what it is not.  If you have a self catering holiday, like a caravan or a chalet – you kind of know what you are getting – because both are land bases they can have all the usual amenities of home – a boat can try, but is always a compromise.

You pay for what you feel is affordable and represents good value – or you pay more to treat or spoil yourself. To some value is to tavel and explore, to others coming on the Broads time after time might cost more but is their idea of happiness and enjoyment.

With boats, you might have a perfectly comfortable centre cockpit boat that sleeps 4 comfortable for just over £500.00 a week and you then have a far newer fancy looking centre cockpit boat that also sleeps 4 for £800.00 a week.

If you have not been boating before you might think the £800.00 boat is going to be far more superior to the £500.00 boat – but is it?  What is value in this example? 

Both will have foam beds, small showers and toilets that are not like what one has at home.  Both will have the same types of heating – fridge and ways to cook – but one will be new and look modern and the other more ‘lived in’ shall we say, less bling going on.

Regulars would be able to say therefore than £500.00 for a decent 4 berth centre cockpit boat was ‘good value’ because we know that is how things are and cost, but someone new to boating might consider that very expensive indeed and £800.00 out of this world to spend on a holiday, and then have to pay for damage waivers, parking, food, fuel....

But the thing is boating is not and has never been cheap.  What I would say personally is, since I have shifted from just holidays to more a ‘lifestyle’ of wanting to go boating, boat choice and cost all mean a great deal more than they used to.  Many ask ‘when will I get a boat’ (of my own) and I plan on that one day...But the time being I would still need to put fuel in my own boat, I would still need to get from London to it and I would still need to feed myself when on it.  I would then also need to pay to insure, toll and moor it – and then on top pay to maintain the engine and general running gear and exterior of the boat.  That would all add up and that is before you begin to make improvements to a boat.

So that is why I hire – because although the cost of so doing may seem excessive to some, if you are not looking at it so much as a holiday and compare it to ownership (especially if not splitting it between people as far as costs go) wise hiring can be reasonable.

I have planned to wait just after the price bands fall at the start of September, then see what is on offer as far as ‘last minute deals’ go – then in October plan to ‘cash in’ my loyalty points with Richardson’s – in 2014 I will begin in March and April when things are cheaper and quieter..and once more start to earn my loyalty rewards – by doing this I can afford more boats per year and thus enjoy the Broads more.

The cost of a Broads boating hoiday is lower than any other navigation in the UK, and I beleive Europe.

The age of a boat means little in the general cost of a boating holiday and any analogy with a holiday that is static is flawed. When was the last time your holiday cottage crashed into another one or you forgot to turn off the lights and ran the batteries flat? Perhaps you filled the washing machine full of diesel rather than water?

The cost of running a boat is immesurably higher than a cottage.

Then there's the entertainment you get from your boat trip. Once on board, you really don't have to spend any more money on your holiday. You have all you need in a self-catering environment. You might choose to eat out and to visit places that have an entrance fee or a mooring fee, but that's a choice. If you were to holiday in a cottage, much of your entertainment would be at extra costs of travel and whilst I accept that "all inclusive" holidays abroad have their place, your choices may be limited and the quality can also be controlled at a lower cost.

But, there's no denying that this year has been tough. We thought last year was bad, but it's got nothing on this year. Next year? Well, I think we'll see a very different UK tourism landscape as more and more operators question the viability of the market.

The cost of running a boat is immesurably higher than a cottage.

... not least because generally speaking, in the long term, a cottage will appreciate in value and if the owner eventually chooses to sell they will get back their initial capital layout and more, whereas boats will generally depreciate (considerably) over their lifetime.  OK, there are tax allowances for depreciation of assets, but even so.

I live in Norfolk, and have my own boat, so sail as and when I choose throughout the year, but I have occasionally hired a yacht for a week or long weekend (mainly for the fun of sailing a bigger boat than my own) and have always considered it pretty good value compared to any other holiday that I would consider. 

A couple of years ago, the yards seemed to be doing well and bookings were up due to the decent weather the previous summer. Then last year we had a crap summer and so this year more people are off to sunnier climes. I think a lot has to do with the weather people experienced on their last holiday.

Having thought about this question some more I realize the obvious flaw, most of the people reading this question will have some interest in the broads to have found this site in the first place, what is needed is the view of someone who has never taken a holiday in Norfolk or possibly even England.

Hello Martin,

That is very true.

Basically it is down to what sort of holiday you want.

It can be an age issue as well.

People going abroad come into a number sections.

There is the young and carefree who hardly see the sunshine but start their holiday just looking for the night life.

There are people who just worship the sun.

There are people who choose the holiday to look at the sights.

I prefer the holidays at home, in Scotland, the Lake District, Devon, Cornwall and the Broads, I like the sea and anything to do with the waterways. 

Holidays are never cheap in the UK, but who wants to spend hours in airports waiting to get onto planes, delayed flights and cramped seats.

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan,

I agree with most of what you say apart from the last sentence,

"Holidays are never cheap in the UK, but who wants to spend hours in airports waiting to get onto planes, delayed flights and cramped seats"

Alan I'm afraid the answer is millions of people, isn't that the quandary we are looking to solve.

:wave  talking to some of my friends, they think it's very expensive on the broads, but I think it depends on which month you go , how many of you are going & what boat you hire, I just can't see the point in going abroad just to sit drinking & reading books like my auntie does, & I just haven't got the patience to sit for an hour in an aiport, I do find it a little expensive for us, because we always hire a big boat & there's only 2 of us, if there were more it would have been cheaper for us, but nobody is as nutty about the broads like me & my sister :grin:  :grin:  because I can't drive a car , :oops:  it gives me chance to drive a boat & I enjoy it, no roundabouts & no traffic lights :lol:  plus I really enjoy being afloat, it's what floats my boat so to speak, plus I have a sentimental thing about it with going to the broads as a child. & seems to something in my blood. lori :Stinky