Anti Fouling

:bow  Advice please!  The boat is now out of the water

for the winter and the 'to do' jobs will start when (if?) the weather improves.

Last on the list will be to re anti foul and I would like some advice on what

type is reccomended for the 'Broads'. She is moored at Beccles and

the only time she goes near salt water now is when we go across Breydon

to visit the North!  Any thoughts will be very welcome.  Regards Alan :wave

mbird-Thanks for that-if it was good enough for you, it will do for me!

I will prepare and paint up to the water line so it looks the part and

as the existing below the water is still very good despite being on there 

for four years-will touch up where neccessary to save on 'beer tokens'.

Regards Alan :wave

One thing to bear in mind that should probably be mentioned is that some antifouls are not compatible with others, and will react with them stopping them from adhering properly. It might be worth just checking with Hempel if you know what was already on there.

Something else to consider is painting a "boot line" (i.e. the bit of antifoul above the waterline) using a paint specifically for the job in the same colour as the antifoul you are using. This will be much more durable and not scrape off as easily against the bank or reeds, and stays looking good for longer than antifoul, just needing a wash over every so often to get rid of the green slime and scale that accumulates at the water line. Norfolk marine should be able to advise on suitable paints I would have thought.

:bow  Thanks to both of you for replying to my original posting, all points have 'been taken on board'.  Just got to hope for some reasonable weekend weather so we can make a start (live in Folkestone so quite a journey) and also the pub at St Olaves where she is out the water, seems to draw on us somewhat!!  Regards Alan

:wave

I suggest not ex blakes/hempnall broads as its formula has changed over the years and we find it too soft .....

try some other s ,bit more harder .......

might be better in your side orf the pond ...

we only done a few over the years yer know

pick the best and get the best results ......

cover all angle that way ........

lift yer boat every two / three years inpsect the bottom under water gear anodes, logs, skin, fittings prop etc etc

steel,wood, plastic or concrete.........

Well, Alan, our boat was built by Barnes Brinkcraft on '96 and has never  been antifouled.

She has lived most of her life moored at Wroxham and now Brundall and I guess the water is pretty-well fresh that far upstream.

If she does pick anything up then our regular runs via Reedham into salt-water will cancel each other out, I guess.

Hi John

I have an idea in the back of my mind that some of the Barnes/Alpha moulds had copper in the lay up which did away with the need to anti foul. I wonder if yours could be one of these? I've also have an idea it was later banned by the BA or EA for some reason so it's not currently an option?

cheersbar

worlds most expensive antifoul .......

we used two types one was a single pack antifoul for a pacific job, it cost more than I care to remember and was as thick and glooppy as they come ...............

was used in salt water on a boot that sat on a mud berth

how much ...........!!!!!

the other was so expensive and experimental too...shhhhh

the whole bottom was dun with a silicon base antifoul now used on the cross channel cats .....shhhhh.....

full breathing apparatus had to be used and took all weekend to apply....

wonce dun we lifted the ole 40 foot boot with strops tied front and rear as to stop the hole thing sliding from back and forth it was that slippery too............

she went into the slip very slowly and carfull too moving all over the place too.....

re mr hockam I would like to se yer under water gear my self ,as your are connected to the ole shore power etc and suppose yer have all galvanis osolater sack anodes too etc etc and all that ole sqitt too

but still I presume yer skeg/rudder etc is trad not stainless props bronze and stainless shaft slit pins correct and nut too as there is a lot of lesser quality bolts and fitting s not quite high grad stainless yer know .......

so ive bored yer now I,m orff ........

so might be worth a look ..............

just and ole thourgth ............

• Like 1

re mr hockam I would like to se yer under water gear my self ,as your are connected to the ole shore power etc and suppose yer have all galvanis osolater sack anodes too etc etc and all that ole sqitt too

but still I presume yer skeg/rudder etc is trad not stainless props bronze and stainless shaft slit pins correct and nut too as there is a lot of lesser quality bolts and fitting s not quite high grad stainless yer know .......

so ive bored yer now I,m orff ........

so might be worth a look ..............

just and ole thourgth ............

Hi, Jon

Yes we do have a galvanic whatsit but no anodes as BB never fitted any. We are connected to shore power and when there isn't any BB put a lovely little 1.5L Kubota hooked up to a 10KW 230V genny in to supply all the cooking gear. She's even got an underwater exhaust to keep others happy at night....  :naughty: :naughty:

She's on the hard at Bells now and there seems little evidance of corrosion on the mild steel skeg/rudder... Other bits are stainless/bronze as you correctly suggest.

We bought her 5 years ago and haven't seen any significant deteriation since.

We'll be up your way in early May and will drop in to see you then.   :wave

• 3 months later...