Getting Organised for the Season

SueH

Actually Sue I'm an avid  people watcher, I'll often sit at the back off the boat when we moor up watching people for hours, I've had some of my best laughs doing that and sometimes it amazes me just how stupid some people can be, like the guy at Ludham Bridge who was so busy looking back shouting at his wife and calling her stupid when she was trying to moor up, he walked right off the back of his boat, good job he could swim I was laughing too much to save him, keep me laughing for hours that one,

Frank,,,

• Like 2

That's it.... car loaded ... time to go and fire the boat up for the weekend.

The boss can't make it this weekend as she is busy shopping, shopping oh and more shopping .... what is truly amazing is the fact all my stuff needed for the weekend has fitted in ONE rucksack.

Weather's looking good so should get a few days along the river.

Sods law says I've left something behind in London haha.

Well it looks like I may be having a later start than normal, I've just ordered all the paint and stuff for the boat, just have to sort out the lift out then it's work time, I'm only doing the Hull for now, I'll do the topside when it's back in the water, at least that way I can go out if I want to, I just hope the weather is OK mid march because I'll need a week on the Hull, the last time I actually painted a was back in the early 80's it was a late Easter and it snowed, at least now I'm retired I can do it whenever I want and don't have to worry about booking time off from work,,,

Frank,,,

Well as stated we are up to the boat Thursday and Friday.  Two good days and I reckon she will be ready to go back in.  So much so that I spent all day on Sunday

cleaning the fenders.  They came up really well and it kept me out of the pub!

Regards Alan.  :wave

Hi John-Yes, what dedication.  Just hope it lasts

on Thursday and Friday whilst we are working

on the boat as the pub across the river (which we like) is in

full sight from the boat.  We will have to be good and pace ourselves!

Regards Alan.  cheersbar  and  :wave

I had a go with them little white magic sponge things on saturday..... pretty good i must say.... excellent for cleaning the green stuff off from around the windows (rubbers) with very little effort..... also it bought the horse shoe life ring up like new.

Well the paint just arrived! think I have enough for 3 boats, as I ordered 5ltrs of each, because the Jotun paint worked out cheaper for 5ltrs than most of the others did for 2. 1/2ltrs, 5ltrs each undercoat, white topcoat and French Blue topcoat, nice clean looking blue it is, also got sandpaper, masking tape, brushes, rollers, tack rags and half the shop, going to the boat this weekend but still have to arrange the lift out,  thought I'd try Jotun as it's been going since 1920 and it's used on ships, just a shame that 5ltrs is the smallest size they do, looks like I'll be busy for a couple of weeks doing the Hull, I'll do topside back in the water,,,,

A little more filling and sanding and it should look nice,,, :pirate

post-39-0-49066400-1393260461_thumb.jpg

Spent all weekend on the boat doing the last few bits and pieces...... spent all day saturday in the marina at Potter ...such a beautiful sunny spring day..... never saw a soul all day.... Sunday went for a blast upto Acle and back and saw 3 boats out on the system.

Are these the ones I have seen advertised on the TV recently that seem to clean everything including the kitchen sink, plus a pair of trainers?

They certainly look useful.

SueH

Im sure they are.....we got ours from Lathams 4 for 99p...... dont think there is anything they dont clean.... will be getting a few more at the weekend.

Hi Alan, RanworthBreeze.  Yes I did use the 'magic sponges'.  I got mine off of e bay after seeing them mentioned on the forum. They are good, but I think a sink full of bleach used with them also helped!  Regards Alan.  :wave

• Like 1

Yes, Alan, there's one out there where you don't have to wash the boat down first...... but can I remember its name? And I've got a gallon onboard!

Mark Bird, please help me out!

Sorry for the delay replying, I missed this one! The stuff you are thinking of is Greased Lightning Showroom Shine. Here's a promotional video

It's no substitute for a really good polish and wax, but for use during the season it does a pretty good job. It's easy to use so cleaning isn't such a chore and so gets done more often.

On a different note, our season's preparations have consisted of cutting flippin great holes in our fuel tanks to be able to clean them out. Last year we have fuel starvation problems resulting in us having to be rescued by the RNLI in a force 6, so we are determined that won't happen again. Judging by the crud we got out, it was badly in need of doing!

post-95-0-74390700-1393424607_thumb.jpg

post-95-0-91656200-1393424631_thumb.jpg

post-95-0-98311500-1393424649_thumb.jpg

mbird, thanks for that. Whilst the boats out of the water my son is going to cut it back with some special stuff that we get from a body shop supplier (don't know the name of it and don't really get involved as its hard work even with a polisher!) after she is cut back then we are using an American polish for fibreglass which is supposed to 'be the best'-as were going to the boat Thursday, will let you know!  When she is in the water we used to use wash and wax but will get some greased lightening for future use . Thanks.  Regards Alan  :wave

The American stuff sounds like "Maguires". I have used it myself and it's good stuff. When I compounded the hull a couple of years back I used 3M machine cutting compound followed by 3M polish then 3 coats of 3M wax. It still looks good 2 years later, and the Greased Lightning keeps a shine on it during the year.

Superstructure to do this year ......

Right! Engine problem being sorted, had the Boat lifted today so it's full speed ahead with the sanding, filling and painting,  looked a bit scary because of all that stern having out of the slings but everything was fine,,,,

post-39-0-41197500-1394044313_thumb.jpg

post-39-0-52439500-1394044343_thumb.jpg

post-39-0-01713900-1394044360_thumb.jpg

We went up to My Panache as planned on Thursday and Friday.  Journey

up took us 4.5 hours instead of the usual 3!  However the weather was

very kind to us and she is now re antifouled and looking pretty good and

shining.  Few more jobs to do but she can now go back in the water and

return to Beccles. Hope to see you out on the water soon-I cannot wait!

Regards Alan and Eve  :wave

Hiya Frank, walked past your boat on Monday, looking good mate. I only came up for the day as I had things to see to, and had a walk around the marina to see what had changed. It's definately changing round there eh.

Keep up the good work mate. Regards to the better half.

See you up there at some time eh.

Baz

Baz! where you been??? David said you were there yesterday playing with your gearbox or something, we didn't go yesterday I'm doing every other day to let the paint fully dry between sanding and filling, got the final minor dings and dents filled and sanded today and was hoping to get a second undercoat on, but had to go to Wroxham and got back just after lunch, by the time I messed about it was a bit late to start painting, so that's now Thursdays job, Saturday, rub down and third undercoat, Monday and Wednesday topcoat days, hopefully it should be ready for back in the pond at the end of next week, and then I start on the topside, we'll be at the yard all the time now so give us a shout when your next down and have your kettle on!!!

Regards Frank and Judi,,,