EXTREMELY UNLIKELY EVENT

10B

When reading the "Low Sulphur Diesel" thread two Quotes stood out to me.

Paladin wrote "in the extremely unlikely event"

The three words extremely unlikely event made me think, how many times do we go out for a carefree cruise on our boat, be it private or hire and put ourselves closer to the extremely unlikely event

He also wrote "if circumstances allow".

We allow the circumstances to cause the extremely unlikely event.

Such as - A chance that we may fall in the water, not wearing a life jacket.

Ropes not stored correctly, rope around prop.

This can go on and on.

What are your thoughts?

In the unlikely event of a fouled prop...aye right...been unlucky twice...both times farmers rope round the prop. Sooo in the unlikely event, I  always take out diving insurance just incase those naughty farmers throw more rope into the rivers!

Careful what you think, worry about or consider unlikely ... what ever it is - what you think about inside your head is normally then created in your world!  (Whether it's good or bad and good for you or bad for you!)

Dan

As a through and through optimist this is hard for me to say, but I believe in Sods Law in that if something can go wrong the likelihood is! at some point it will, I know from thirty years of boating that I sometimes take chances I really shouldn't, because I'm experienced and I know best, I know that those little jobs that I put off till next time are the ones that catch me out! because I know best, I think we all become complacent with and think it won't happen to us because we know best, what's that saying? familiarity breeds contempt, you can wear your life jacket every time your out, but it's Sods Law the one time you don't is the time you fall in,,, will I change my ways? no because I know best and everything I do in life is taking a chance anyway,,, :norty:

Frank,,,

• Like 3

"Murphy's Law"... if anything can go wrong.... it will!

Is this Ryan Air's mission statement?

OUCH!!!

It certainly was in over 22 years flying the Shorts Belfast for HeavyLift Cargo Airlines!  The Ops Staff used to run a sweepstake on every sortie we flew as to when and where we'd breakdown..... :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

post-146-0-86120500-1394719072_thumb.jpg

Many times, Iain, it was almost a second home for us!

And a few pubs in Ayr will remember us! We often stayed at the Ayrshire and Galloway, who offered us Dinner, B&B and all the beer we could drink for less than a room at the Mercure (used to be the Caledonian?)!  cheersbar

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.458532,-4.628989,3a,90y,286h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sE9m12p2vP9g5Xrdjli-l_w!2e0

• Like 1

Smallworld John, I am Ayr born and bred and the old A&G pub was my drinking hole with all the lads from Miles Electricians, Beresford Terrace at pay off nights, as for the old Cally..I was called out to that hotel the day after the fire there early 70's. For my sins I wired the first ever sauna at that hotel, it came all in Finnish and had to get the instructions translated lol

I do hope my fellow "Honest Men" looked after you well?

cheers Iain.

Sit at the back of the plane it's safer! you never hear of them reversing into mountains,,  I found another one call Finagals Law, it's says,,,

"Anything that can go wrong, will—at the worst possible moment."  I think Mr Finagle must have owned a boat,,,,,

Frank,,,,

As a through and through optimist this is hard for me to say, but I believe in Sods Law in that if something can go wrong the likelihood is! at some point it will, I know from thirty years of boating that I sometimes take chances I really shouldn't, because I'm experienced and I know best, I know that those little jobs that I put off till next time are the ones that catch me out! because I know best, I think we all become complacent with and think it won't happen to us because we know best, what's that saying? familiarity breeds contempt, you can wear your life jacket every time your out, but it's Sods Law the one time you don't is the time you fall in,,, will I change my ways? no because I know best and everything I do in life is taking a chance anyway,,, :norty:

Frank,,,

A point i know only too well Frank.  Last year, i made the unlikely mistake of confusing the deisel deck filler for the water deck filler. What a good job i did`nt have the engine running at the time.  The result?,  Another £100 for a tank of deisel, one days cruising lost which saw a day less on the northern rivers, and a very embarrasing phone call to John and Lynda at Maffetts, who i must say took it remarkably well and had a good laugh about it afterwards.

Complacency is one thing that COULD lead to disaster, or even tragedy.

Regards to all ......................... Neil.