NBO hacked again

Two basic reasons, vandalism and theft.

Vandalism to provoke a reaction, like graffiti and damage.

Theft is the more worrying motive. Forums contain rich data in the form of login names, passwords, and email addresses. If they can crack the user database, then they can "harvest" that data, and try to cause more damage and distress.

Unfortunately, many people use the same login names and passwords for many things that they do online, so those forum access details can give access to more important things.

Ditto to all of the above, people with too much time on their hands and a leaning towards distruction of any kind. It is a pity that all that effort can not be put to good use.

Re passwords it goes without saying to use different ones for different locations.

Also don't store loads of personal details on your PC, tablet or phone, it is trouble waiting to happen. 

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

i had a few teething problems with my bank  because i got hacked, many years ago, & went into the bank to order another card as i did'nt feel safe using the one i had at the time, i think i got hacked at one of these stand alone machines, anyway i went into the bank & talked to one of the staff, & was shocked to hear her say that she used the password for all her stuff online, which to me did'nt sound good for someone working in a bank, i'd have thought she'd had more sense than that,  lori

I do very little on-line, and will NEVER EVER do on-line banking. I remember a guy at work was running around like a blue arsed fly saying how someone had hacked into his on-line banking, to which i said i don`t think on-line banking could ever be safe. His reply was completely unbeleavable, he replied, "oh it`s perfewctly safe, i`ve been doing it for years". And there he was faffing around trying to sort out a finacial mess.

Regards to all ................. Neil.

I do very little on-line, and will NEVER EVER do on-line banking. I remember a guy at work was running around like a blue arsed fly saying how someone had hacked into his on-line banking, to which i said i don`t think on-line banking could ever be safe. His reply was completely unbelievable, he replied, "oh it`s perfectly safe, i`ve been doing it for years". And there he was faffing around trying to sort out a financial mess.

I would agree that online banking, (or anything involving money) should not be attempted by anyone not completely conversant with computers and computer security.

When it is used correctly though, it works very well. I've used online banking, credit card payments, self assessment tax, and share manipulation online for 12 years now with no problems at all. The process has become very convenient, compared with visiting the various banks and branches.

I have however, strongly advised many of my friends and acquaintances against using it, because their ability to spot scams and phishing was not safe enough.

Well I have to say that when I logged in to the .org, I think it was the day before yesterday, I got the most frightening of pages come up and I quickly logged out. When the site cam back on  I mentioned this and it was greeted by a very lighthearted banter and I felt they obviously didnt appreciate what was happening.     It seems to happen to them over and over again for some reason.   

Well I have to say that when I logged in to the .org, I think it was the day before yesterday, I got the most frightening of pages come up and I quickly logged out. When the site cam back on  I mentioned this and it was greeted by a very lighthearted banter and I felt they obviously didnt appreciate what was happening.     It seems to happen to them over and over again for some reason.   

That's unfortunate.

Members' security should be paramount in any online data situation.

What I got up was like a horror movie , quite frightened me.   I thought oh my god I have mucked up the laptop now but all is still well thank goodness.       I was a little surprised to think they thought it was all a hoot.      May be I am losing my sense of humour.

It appears to have been fixed now without further official comments on that site, but there was a hacker splash page from some of the link buttons when Hylander first mentioned it on here.

There always appear to be 3 types of hacker, the tagging hacker who is like the Banksy type graffiti artist "look at what I've done" mostly of nuisance value. Then there is the  hacker who uses a virus to destroy your system with absolutely no gain apart from his own warped pleasure. Finally there is the stealth hacker who wants his antics to stay hidden as he wants financial gain from information he can steal from you without you becoming aware.

• Like 1