You Can't Get Rid of Me!

Mowjo

Ok! if you look at the for sales you will see I'm selling Crackers, but don't panic we will be buying something else were just not sure what yet, so your stuck with me, people have said I'm mad selling her because of the work and money we have spent on her, but we just feel it's time for a change, Crackers is the sixth boat I've owned and every one has been done to a high standard, Judi says I'm too much of a perfectionist because if I'm not happy with something I will rip it out and start again, if it sells I'll probably be looking for an Elysian, Seamaster or Freeman 23 as long as I can find a diesel one, so keep your eyes out for me, I don't want to pay a lot for it as long as the engine is good and the outside isn't too bad, I'd probably end up rebuilding the inside anyway, but you all know what it's like! you just seem to get a feel for a boat when buying it, so I could end up with anything,  anyway that's just an update in case anyone is thinking I'm giving up my boats and the Broads, I'm not! your stuck with me,,,,

Frank,,,,, 

• Like 2

Hi Frank,

Your boat looks stunning - on other thread - and can see your hard work you put into Crackers. You are not allowed though to disappear, as from what I have seen on here, you are one of those that acts as the eyes and ears on all thats happening on the Broads rivers.

May I wish you every success in finding the right project boat that suits you and your good lady.

cheers Iain.

p.s Its obvious you canny spell the word...Retire! :naughty: 

Iain! I seem to have less time now I have retired, my problem is I've always enjoyed working with my hands, I love it when I get quotes for stuff and then do it myself for a fraction of the cost, like getting a total repaint on Crackers quoted around 4.5k and did it myself for less than £500 that was with three under coats and three top coats and three coats of anti foul, what made it even sweeter was the yard that quoted the price saw it and admitted they couldn't have done a better job, but that's where I'm lucky being retired I have plenty of time to do things like that, on my Daughters boat I've just made her a complete new kitchen, re made all new doors and rebuilt the front bunks,  all I left them was the staining and varnishing, I love messing about with wood it's the feeling of taking a few sticks and a bit of ply and turning it into something nice, every boat I've owned I've virtually re built the inside of including complete re wires, I always say there's nothing I can't do! just things I havn't tried yet, I still have no idea about diesel or modern engines, but give me an old petrol engine a packet of fag papers and a half inch spanner and I'll get it going, I'm reading Manuals about my 1.5 BMC's and reckon I can get by, but they still scare me hence it cost me £600 for new bits to be fitted to Crackers only after watching the mechanic fit them did I realise it was a job I could have done and saved a fortune in labour charges, but hey! that's life at least I'll know if I ever need to do it again,,,

Frank,,,,,

post-39-0-89998400-1409665833_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Good onya old fella :naughty:  No offence meant! as a retired tradesman myself I can appreciate all your thoughts and ideas. Sadly I canny do what I did before, much as I try, the auld body says yer not on. 

Here is an Idea for you, get a hold of an old BMC 1.5 Captain Diesel and strip it down to the bare bones. Then rebuild it to your satisfaction. Bung it in your new boat there wan job done, or sell it! :naughty: If yer new project has a leyland thornycroft wear ear protection, it is without doubt the most noisey rattly engine I ever had the misfortune to listen to fur a week, it was murder polis! :naughty:  That was on Alpha's Rapide 32ft Centre Cockpit 1983.

cheers Iain

Of course it has! :norty: 30 years of owning boats, it's still a kitchen, the boat has a back and a pointy end, a left and a right, a boat bottom and boat top, mine has a bog and shower, a front cabin (I do call some thing by there right names) and a back bedroom, and to make it even worse I often park the boat instead of mooring it, :dance and not only that a Galley isn't on a boat it is a boat I looked on Wiki, :P Hey! that's good it means that for once I've actually been right about something,,

A galley is a type of ship that is propelled mainly by rowing. The galley is characterized by its long, slender hull, shallow draft and low clearance between sea and railing. Virtually all types of galleys had sails that could be used in favorable winds, but human strength was always the primary method of propulsion. This allowed galleys freedom to move independently of winds and currents, and with great precision. The galley originated among the seafaring civilizations around the Mediterranean Sea in the early first millennium BC and remained in use in various forms until the early 19th century in warfare, trade and piracy.

Frank,,,,,

• Like 3

Well 'B.A' has a galley NOT a blasted kitchen! so there   -  insert raspberry blowing smiley  -  Here  -

And what's more she had a galley before Wikepedia was ever thought of, or the internet came into being.  She will always have a galley, cabins, fwd, aft, Pt and Stbd etc etc

Unless we have newbie crew onboard then it's their bedroom, beds and kitchen :shocked  two guns 

Griff

• Like 1

Blimey Griff where did you sneak in from??? Yea! but your a bit anal with everything to do with BA, mine have all been plastic so it doesn't count,, but I did find this and as BA is older than the Ark I'll concede, but I'm still right because yours is a Boat not a Ship! :P

The galley is the kitchen of the ship. The best explanation as to its origin is that it is a corruption of "gallery". Ancient sailors cooked their meals on a brick or stone gallery laid amidships,

Here's something I bet you all wondered about! why is a boat called a boat??

" The origin of the word " boat " is probably to be looked for in the corruption of. bat = a stem, a stick, a piece of wood. the term in its inception referred to the material of which the primitive vessel was constructed, and in this respect may well be contrasted with the word " ship," of which the primary idea was the process by which the material was fashioned and adapted for the use of man. "

In other words Griff you just own a pile of sticks whereas mine is genuine Plastic :party:

Frank,,,,,

Griff! I'm more used to seeing you on the other side that's why I never noticed you here!

I told Judi years ago I was getting a Woody and she got all excited, :norty: when I explained it was a boat she slapped me, that's why I stick to plastic boats now,,

Frank,,,,

• Like 1

That's not true Jenny, if that was the case they would be called KIDS, I know my boat is cheaper to maintain than they are,, :cry:

It's quite interesting looking up why things on boats are know by a certain name, thing like Poop decks have nothing to do with Poop yet Heads do, I wonder if that's where the term S**t head came from??  Jenny we'll only tell them the real reason boats are called she if someone asks, I wondered a while back and the reason was quite interesting,

Frank,,,   

• Like 1

There's a few more too:-

Because a ship carries, protects, and eventually delivers her cargo or passengers as does a mother with her child. And because most boats up until at least 1970 were owned by men, also because it takes a lot of paint and work to keep her looking good she always hides her bottom and when she makes port she heads for the buoys and it takes a good man to control her.

Herewith a picture attached of a male skipper shortly before his death - Warning, very graphic - Sorry Mods

Griff

• Like 2

In other words Griff you just own a pile of sticks whereas mine is genuine Plastic  :clap

Correct - However I prefer 'Woody / Bio-degradable and Tupperware' :naughty:

At last...... the correct technical term "Bio-degradable" is finally being used for all those beautiful wooden boats in their wonderful shiny varnish work.

Us poor "Tupperware" owners have born the scorn from boating purists for long enough. :)

I've now just got to keep working on the "Gin Palace" provocateur until he concedes and buys one.

(Dream on, Strowy !! :naughty: )

Hey Strowy! "Bio-degradable" does that mean they go in the Green Bin?? at least my Plastic Pig will live on for ever even if it is in a landfill somewhere! in a thousand years a new version of Tony Robinson will dig up a little bit of GRP and my little brass nameplate that says "Re-Furbished by Mowjo 2014" and I'll be on a Time Team Special while they try and work out who the hell I was, people like Griff create a bit of beauty for a few years, people like us with Plastic Pigs are creating history for future generations, :clap OK i'll get my coat,,,,

Mow,,,,, 

• Like 1

"You're a Braver Man than I am, Gunga Din!"  :bow :bow :bow

John, you flew for your kicks, that makes you far braver than me!

A good boat, like a good woman, with a well formed tumblehome, pleasing sheer, shapely transom and buff on the foredeck will always pull the fellows! By the way Griff, a boat under sail often shows her bottom! Okay, so sailing boats are tarty but us fellows love 'em, a flash of their garboards gets the blood flowing.

...... people like us with Plastic Pigs are creating history for future generations, ......

I never thought of it that way Mow, we are the genuine future of the Broads.....

Our easy wipe-clean jelly moulds will outlive all of the intricately constructed biodegradable beauties in a thousand years time. :)

Our easy wipe-clean jelly moulds will outlive all of the intricately constructed biodegradable beauties in a thousand years time.

I beg to differ - you show me or give me just ONE example of a jelly mould tupperware that is as old as the present HMS Victory - (and we have older models than her on display - Mary Rose for instance) 

Waiting . . . . . . . :naughty:

Griff