Womack water/staithe

JimG

Advice please :-)

We (a group of thirty somethings on two boats) are hoping to leave Richardson's at 2pm on Fri 24th Oct (1st Fri of half term). Our plan is to moor for our first night at Womack and go to the Kings Arms.

I've only been to Womack once before and that was out of season in early March. So will it be busy? If we cannot get moored at the staithe are there other moorings that will still allow us access to the pub? We have a dinghy, can we mudweight anywhere and row ashore.

Time will not be on our side, so we need to make a decision!! The alternative is Ranworth where we can definitely mudweight, leave the dinghy in the dyke and visit The Maltsters.

Thanks in advance for your help/suggestions.

I think that is half-term week - if so Womack could be busy. Mudweighting you'll be absolutely fine, or if there is space on the island you could moor there and take your dinghy in. Alternatively there are moorings on Womack Dyke which are rarely full at that time of year and you can walk into the village from there. So there's plenty of choice, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Hi Jim,

Many people mud weight opposite the pubic moorings if a space is not available when it really busy and pull in if a space becomes available.

It is one of my favourit spots on the Broads and can be a great sun trap, my brother in law says the fishing is not bad either. The short walk up to the Kings Arms at Ludham is worth while.

Regards

Alan

We have our holiday on the Broads during October and as we pick our boat up from Acle, we like to moor not far from there for our last night(the Friday before the half term week). In the past, the only time there has been any problem is when the school trip moor there for the Friday night. They set off from PH with approx 8 big Herbert Woods boats, all with dinghies and it can be a bit tight meeting them in the dyke. They moor as many as possible on the staithe and mud weight the remaining boats opposite, and use the dinghies for ferrying the children across. We usually managed to get along the dyke, before it was closed off for works, but the Island was usually full. When we couldn't squeeze in, we'd go to Fleet Dyke instead(although a long walk to the pub, but the chinese takeaway will deliver)! I must admit that we moved our holiday forward slightly last year, for the extra bit of daylight, so we didn't see them. 

Wherever you end up, have a great time.  :)