A load of bulls!

Baitrunner

After a lovely day Saturday doing some chores and having a run down river we moored up at rockland broad and had a lovely short walk down to the New Inn for dinner.

We were lucky we got our dinner before the power tripped in the kitchen so thought ourselves very lucky indeed.

Walking back up to the dyke (can't get into the staithe) we were confronted by a load of the biggest, meanest, hairiest and longest horns bulls I have ever seen on the footpath. With no way round we retreated back to the first gate to await their dispersal. 15 mins and they weren't moving. Mrs BR not keen to go for the mad dash either.

So had to go the long way round via the Beuchamp Arms. About 4 bxxxxxy miles in the dark.

So, dies anyone know a good way to move cows (or bulls with horns)? Were we being sensible or big woosies?

On a slightly different note as we walked to the New Inn at about 7pm in the dark, a hire bait was trying to traverse the broad. The only lights they had on were the interior lights which must have really helped.

Your right eVen farmers getting trampled makes you wonder if you should just keep away from them. With those horns even a little flick could kill you.

Been in similar situation before and do wonder why they allow footpaths through fields with cows in? In not trying to be whingy, but they can be dangerous animals.

Last time I was between the bull and his ladies and kids. He looked mean, I made a swift exit.

Problem is there is sometimes no other route back.

Did have a red walking jacket - now gone black.

May get armour!!

• Like 1

I also have been chased by cows and I can tell you I was terrified. I fell over the stile just to get away  :cry . To this day I find it hard to walk through a field of cows and if there are bulls in the field then it is a no go  :norty:

The moorings on the left going into Loddon I could not more there, as you would have to walk through the field where the cows are to get to Loddon  :bow .

Regards

Marina    :Stinky

Normally there,s only one bull in a field, otherwise there would be world war 3 erupting over the females, unless it was a bacholar herd1 , best thing to do with cows /bullocks, is to ignore them and just keep walking , they are very curious creatures so take an intrest in you, especially if it,s the normal time for the farmer to bring feed  ect, golden rule......if there,s a beast with balls, stay clear if it,s with cows don t get between the  cows and the bull udderwise he,ll think your after his hareem.

no responabilty accepted by taking this advise !! :norty:

• Like 3

We weren't chased but were followed and watched as we crossed that very field at Loddon Marina referred to and have to say I was definitely a Woosie, as we entered the field as if by some sixth sense they all stopped chomping on the grass and started slowly following us, don't know about standing my ground and looking big etc, I wanted to run like a bloody bat of hell Lol, my husband reassured me and said to just act naturally and I started humming like an idiot, he said "what are you humming for, you never normally hum"  :rolleyes: yep, definitely a Woosie

Grace

• Like 3

A friend of mine refuses to call a cow a cow, rather he calls them 'meadow ladies'. Listening to ladies of Essex & they appear to habitually and seemingly affectionately call each other 'cows'. Up here on the Broads, us indigenous inbreds consider that being called a 'cow' is a great insult! First time my wife was called a 'silly cow' by a lady of Essex my wife was really upset, despite the LoE being, she thought, friendly. As for being bothered by cows, not normally, unless there are dogs running around and worrying them. In that case I'd be more worried by the dog than the cow!

Along the very dark road, then along the very dark track to the Arms and then a very dark path along the side of the river. How glad were we to take 2 torches (a bit of a plug, but the Lenser torches are fantastic).

We were moored up right at the end of the Dyke (well I call it that) where the Broad joins the main river - at the end of the very straight stretch of free moorings.

If we could afford the Jimmy Choos, I would have got the staff to bring the tender down to the pub to pick us up. Anyway they would kill my feet  :naughty:  :naughty:

Not sure how you look calm and natural with a bull on the path (and I am pretty sure they were all bulls, but wouldn't be having any young bulls - ever) and the other option was the bulls in the field - or the cowards retreat.

DF, I am sure your suggestion does work. but am still to be convinced or shown how it works - In the dark they look even more scary.

The only good thing might be that I can run faster than Mrs BR so a bit of survival of the fastest - always works.

• Like 1

From what I understand it's dogs that cattle don't like and if you read about someone being injured or killed then there is usually a dog involved.

The advice when walking your dog through a field where cattle are present is to let your dog go and make for cover if the cattle are upset by it - the dog will always escape.

Cattle are usually inquisitive around humans that's all.

Mark.

As one who lives in a farming county and worked on many farms, the collective name is a herd of Bulls, and....IF you HEARD them coming towards you, Eusain Bolt would come a poor second! :naughty:  :naughty:  :naughty: Seriously, when I was rewiring Ayr Cattle Market in the early 70's, any bulls in pens were well ringed and roped. I always admired the skills of the herdsmen moving one into a sales ring when going to auction. :clap

cheers Iain.

• Like 1