Listed Boats Broads Boat Preservation

Timbo

A post by Marshman on another thread mentioned it being a shame that 'boats' weren't listed. I totally agree with him about listing boats but it would be a difficult thing to set up. Since buying a boat of our own I've taken more than a passing interest in both the history of some of the boats I see up and down the Broads as well as some of the 'bodge jobs' that can happen when it comes to restoration. Being a total novice myself I can appreciate the daunting prospect of starting a restoration, particularly when you are on a tight budget. Whilst being a novice at boat restoration, as an archaeologist and historian

There are currently two national registers of historic vessels. There are a couple of differences between the registers. The first is the National Register of Historic Vessels (NHVR) this is a register of vessels over 50 years old and over 33 feet in length. The register is divided into two parts with significant vessels registered as part of the National Fleet (several Broads boats are on this list). Boats on the NHVR fly a special ensign to signify their inclusion on the register or part of the historic fleet, have access to an on-line community dedicated to the preservation of the vessels and can be eligible for small grants to help with restoration. Boats like Royal Tudor that are over 50 years old but only 31ft 10in in length do not qualify for the NHRV. Instead they are registered on the National Small Boat Register (NSBR) hosted by the National Maritime Museum in Cornwall, Royal Tudor's registration number is 2372. The NSBR like the NHRV is a register of boats deemed to be of national historic importance worthy of preservation, without the access to the on-line community,grants and recognition, but also will accept boats younger than 50 years. Both registers work very closely together, and registration is a voluntary process. However anyone can nominate a vessel for inclusion on either register.

I noticed that many Broads vessels were falling through the cracks of the registers, due to their size and design or construction materials and I wondered if anyone would be interested in creating a register of Broads Vessels, perhaps under the auspices of The Museum of the Broads to record vessels, both internally and externally, as well as other important documents or photographs related to each craft on the register. Then filter this information back through to the NHRV and NSBR. To then have a broads based database to collate the information as well as a repository of help and advice on restoration etc.

Broads boats have a special place in the hearts of many people in the UK...like many others I feel I own a little bit of the boats I've hired in the past. Perhaps a community or support group to help feed information...funds even... into the register and into the Museum of the Broads. I imagine it would create a fine fleet of registered vessels to help support the work of the Museum..

I am aware of the fantastic work done by Boats of the Norfolk Broads and Broadland Memories I hasten to add!

I just wondered what others felt about the idea as I'm having a spot of bother getting my head around the correct wording?

• Like 3

My daughter has a 1908 built Broads cruiser, the National Register of Historic Vessels people have invited her to register her boat as they consider her an interesting development in Broads boat design. It's nice to think that she is but the inspiration to have her included on the list is hardly overpowering. On the Broads old boats are hardly rare so perhaps such lists are seen as nothing special, rightly or wrongly.

Yep Dave, I agree with that! (being careful what you wish for)

As far as the colour scheme of fibreglass boats, that should remain firmly the current owners choice. There have been some horrors, and some true gems, but that is a matter of opinion and taste.

Oh I don't mind what colour they are painted, sky blue pink with yellow dots MM, or whether they are 'listed' as in the sense of a building.I suppose I was quite rare as an archaeologist in that appreciated that the house or boat even, is someone's property and the vagaries of taste and use are just part of the ongoing history. What was going through my mind was more a register as to what is there...out and about, but a more detailed historical record than what we have available now.

As Peter says the Broads is quite a hotbed for historic boats, not just the woodies but concrete, fibreglass etc. But  I'd hate to be in a situation where twenty plus years on we take a look and there are hardly any of the old boats there any more and no  documentation of them. Whilst working in Greece I noticed the area had quite a few wooden stelae. Last time I visited the area most of them had vanished and their loss was being lamented.

I'm not talking about regulation here, just making a record but something that everyone who is interested in boats can join in  :)

• Like 1

I see what you mean messieurs's , we have day glow yellows, red, oranges not to mention blues...RT is cream & green and when I get her finished yellow coaching stripes around the windows...purple would fit right in amongst the river side vegetation! I should point out that I had all hell on stopping Uncle Albert from having RT's hull painted Royal Blue...Fortunately Jon pushed him in the right direction or her original colours.

The VWBA when it finally gets going again maybe the way to go. www.vwba.org

There is a meeting at Beccles 14th - 16th August 2015 for wooden boats or in fact anyone who is interested in wooden boats.janet anne in another place can help you there. There are already I believe twenty places provisionally booked.

We were members of the WBA Barry, well we paid our money but heard nothing else from them. I was thinking of a register for all historic boats though. Some of the fibreglass & concrete vessels will be the same age as RT if not older & therefore should be considered to be classic boats too.

My thinking is that Craig Slawson already has a wonderful database of boats on the Broads. Maybe working with him to add a couple of fields to it identifying boats of a.historical or b. developmental significance might be the way to go? Then a search would bring up a list, and anyone wishing to take further action/interest can do so more easily. Brilliant would be historical, but not developmental as she had Emerald as her elder sister, now lost.

Mike we now moor almost opposite you as you will see when next you come.

Tim If you follow the link to the vwba site scroll down to the bottom and you will

find the categories one can register under. These include classic and under

25 years old. 

Hopefully the VWBA will be reformed in the not too distant future, but in the mean

time Adam is rather busy with other projects, see other link.

http://www.vwba.org/wiki/index.php5?title=Main_Page

http://www.vintageboatholidaynorfolk.co.uk/

• Like 1

As far as colours go on traditional timber boats, my personal favourite is a white hull, with varnished timber topsides, and a white coachroof, with white decks, and varnished rubbing strakes. Absolutely superb scheme, though a cream or yellow coachroof and decks is`nt bad either.

As for grp boats, i think most grp boats will have a colour scheme that will suit them, as well as others that should be avoided like the plague. Can anybody remember the Aquafibre 42s in Herbert Woods fleet in the late 70s / early 80s, that hade light blue hulls, with orange supestructure, YES light blue and orange.

I wonder what they`d been drinking the night before they made that choice?.

I`ll always think Astons had it right with their light blue hulls and white supestructures.  They did try the psychadelic route one year when they painted red stripes along the top of the hull, and along the top side of the cabins, apparently Hoseasons requested they did it, as they said it would make more people want to hire them.  YUK.

• Like 1

I`ll always think Astons had it right with their light blue hulls and white supestructures.  They did try the psychadelic route one year when they painted red stripes along the top of the hull, and along the top side of the cabins, apparently Hoseasons requested they did it, as they said it would make more people want to hire them.  YUK.

That was the word I said to Dave Pipe at Astons, Loddon,YUK! I also was told it was Hoseasons to blame.

xmas6 Iain.

• Like 1

Yeah, i know, hideous idea or what?.

I remember Rickos going down that route with multi coloured boats, absolutely hideous too (no offence meant Clive) though in Rickos defence, they too are updating their fleet, and with far more attractive subtle colours too.

On a modern GRP boat, you can`t beat good old plain white, with a coloured cabin top and decks. Just look at Silverline with their light blue over white scheme, again a colour scheme Clives team have more recently adopted on some of their old boats, and very nice it looks too. Then there`s Bridgecraft with their yellow over white, that`s quite nice, but i did see a boat some years ago that looked quite subtle. I can`t remember what exactly the boat was, but it was white all over, with a light grey coachroof and stripe along the top of the hull, with light grey inlay on the decks. Under the grey stripe, and along the lower edge of the grey coachroof was a thin yellow stripe. It just looked so right without being too bland.  I always said if i bought my own boat, that would be the colour scheme i`d choose.

Although 'Spray' is pretty near original we no longer have cotton sails, manila ropes, lead based paint, tar paint on the bottom or painted canvas on the decks so Dave's point is perfectly relevant. However I doubt that we shall be bermudan rigging her or having a carbon mast! It is true though that most Broads boats progress.

• Like 1