boat gone up in flames at sutton

loribear

So a house-boat doesn't need a BSS, amazing!

Actually, I rather suspect that they do need a BSS. To quote from the Broads Authority's website:

The National Boat Safety Scheme (BSS) applies to all boats with engines and/or cooking, heating, lighting, refrigeration and other domestic appliances, including open boats propelled by outboard motors with fixed electrical systems such as electric starts. It does not apply to open boats propelled solely by outboard motors and not fitted with any of the above appliances/systems.

No mention about an exemption for houseboats, although if it's a question that is of direct relevance to you then it might be worth asking the question.

Of course it's not just the Broads Authority that might require a BSS certificate. It may be that whoever is providing insurance for the location where the houseboat is moored requires it to have a BSS certificate.

Actually, I rather suspect that they do need a BSS. To quote from the Broads Authority's website:

No mention about an exemption for houseboats, although if it's a question that is of direct relevance to you then it might be worth asking the question.

Of course it's not just the Broads Authority that might require a BSS certificate. It may be that whoever is providing insurance for the location where the houseboat is moored requires it to have a BSS certificate.

It is only a houseboat if it's on a proper residential mooring, this boat is on a BA 24hr mooring so is classed as a boat. It also was not insured, I guess the Broads authority will be picking up the bill for removal.

Doug.

Hello Dug how are getting on , yes J M we will be paying not very fare but what can you say , you really should have to prove that you have insurance when we tick the box on our toll renewal form but no one checks , I have never been asked I just tick the box and away we go so sadly there will always be people who wont pay ...