Floor tiling expert arvice

Baitrunner

Hi Mark,

Sounds as if you are going to get more adhesive on your hands than under the tiles.

Dependant on the old glue type you could use some thinners or failing that scrape it off using a paint scraper with the aid of a hot air gun.

It might be an idea to give it a coat of PVA prior to laying the tiles.

Regards

Alan

Hi Mark,

My advice is simple, get a professional in to do it, and do a paper round to cover the extra costs! :naughty: Seriously though, IF tiles cuts round pipes are required, then without the proper machinery, it can be a bit of a bugga to do.

cheers Iain.

Thanks Iain.

I have done a bit before (not my favourite job I have to admit) so know what your saying.

After Griff's advice I may take your suggestion (forget the paper round and go to pub) - quick setting adhesive, amateur at the helm - hence more tiles stuck to my head than floor :pcwhack:  (pretend the pc is a tile) - where's the tile smashing smilie when you need one? 

Sorted - mosaic floor - don't need a tile cutter then and I am good with a hammer :party:  :party:

• Like 2

Do NOT put pva down onto concrete before tiling, especially if using a 'porcelbond' adhesive rapid setting or not

As long as the concrete is well cured and sound, the adhesive wants to bond with the concrete not pva woodglue! - this forms a barrier and stops a proper key.

Disclaimer - some adhesive manufactureres state you must use thier own dedicated primer - wether you follow this advice or not is up to you - I would to keep your guarentee in tact, However top quality adhesives usually don't require any primers when tiling onto concrete unless an anhydrite screed for underloor piped heating has been laid down, then there are specific primers that have to be used in a specific method with prior preparation before application  - they are NOT pva

• Like 1

First photo is of black stone to a concrete floor (Garage) - straight onto the virgin concrete, along with a natural stone tiled wall, both used rapid setting porcelbond adhesive, the walls had to be keyed / primed as backing wall is painted plasterboard

Second photo is of a bathroom I completed on Saturday just gone, ceramic tiles to non-skimmed plaster-boarded walls, and just look at the size of those wall tiles they are 350mm by 1000mm - a full metre in length - that was somewhat testing!

Third photo is of the same bathroom - porcelain tiles over a chipboard floating floor - again certain methods prior to tiling to enable me to confidently guarentee the floor from cracking or coming loose

And yes boats can be tiled - I have tiled B'A.'s heads and bathroom and done a few other boats for customers too - key to this is again the prep work and a very specific expensive flexible adhesive / primer.

I have another heads/bathroom onboard a nice 'woody' to tile for a customer this coming spring as it happens

Griff

post-65-0-56259800-1421705917_thumb.jpg

post-65-0-70165400-1421706196_thumb.jpg

post-65-0-79326500-1421706272_thumb.jpg

post-65-0-93800600-1421706571_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

The thread title made me smile when it first appeared.

You couldn't get much more of an expert on that particular subject than Griff.... :)

Nice of you to say Stow - Howver I never admit to being an 'Expert' in anything

Definition of an expert:-

'Ex'  -  A has been

'Spert' - Drip under pressure

Griff

• Like 1

One of the best ways of getting old vinyl up I've found is using a multi tool with the scraper blade,if you take your time you can get up most of the adhesive as well, I've owned a few now and by far the best for me is the one below I'm using now, A couple of people in the marina saw me removing Altro vinyl in my last boat and asked if they could borrow it, big mistake as when I got it back I used it twice and the motor burnt out, it was a rather expensive Bosch one, the second one I lent to my son in law who's a carpet and Vinyl fitter and he burnt that out in a week, I then thought as they don't last long go cheap and bought the Draper one I think I only paid £39.00 for it, I've now had it over a year, taken Vinyls up, Tiles up, tiles off walls, used it on the boat loads of times, I'm well impressed, you may think it's a lot of money to take a bit of glue up, but I've lost count of the other uses like flush cutting pipes and fittings, cutting holes for sockets without having to remove half the boat, cutting access panel, detail sanding, it's endless and has paid for itself many times over,,

Frank,,,,

post-39-0-44555700-1421759979_thumb.jpg

One of the best ways of getting old vinyl up I've found is using a multi tool with the scraper blade,if you take your time you can get up most of the adhesive as well, I've owned a few now and by far the best for me is the one below I'm using now, A couple of people in the marina saw me removing Altro vinyl in my last boat and asked if they could borrow it, big mistake as when I got it back I used it twice and the motor burnt out, it was a rather expensive Bosch one, the second one I lent to my son in law who's a carpet and Vinyl fitter and he burnt that out in a week, I then thought as they don't last long go cheap and bought the Draper one I think I only paid £39.00 for it, I've now had it over a year, taken Vinyls up, Tiles up, tiles off walls, used it on the boat loads of times, I'm well impressed, you may think it's a lot of money to take a bit of glue up, but I've lost count of the other uses like flush cutting pipes and fittings, cutting holes for sockets without having to remove half the boat, cutting access panel, detail sanding, it's endless and has paid for itself many times over,,

Frank,,,,

Hi Frank,

Bosch commutators are known to be soft, so can burn out quite quickly. They are a good mid range unit IMHO. Now Makita is a diff kettle of fish!

cheers Iain.

Iain! I've never been a fan of Bosch stuff, never had anything of theirs that lasted very long, when doing site work I used a lot of Dewalt but they got rubbish when the got bought out, so I went over to Festool very good if not the best but far too expensive and always getting stolen, I ended up buying Lidls Parkside tools because being cheap I thought if they got stolen it wouldn't cost a fortune to replace, I could buy 10 of their drills for the price of the Festool, my biggest suprise was that they out lasted all the Dewalt, Makitta and Panasonic tools I'd used in the past, I'm so impressed with them Lidls Parkside are about the only powertools I use now, I even bought the Multi tool a couple of months ago so I have two now, shame it wasn't out when I needed one, the only downside is getting spares, can't find battery's for them, and palm sanding sheets are near imposible to find unless in a mixed set, I just adapt others, I actually have a 12v drill I bought from them around 15 years ago along with two spare battery's and it's still going strong, for any DIYer they are ideal, just remember if it's a sander to stock up when they come in, they are good tools and better still cheap,,,

Frank,,,

Definition of an expert:-

'Ex'  -  A has been

'Spert' - Drip under pressure

Griff

Self defined then!  :naughty:

Back to the tiling... how are you on Galleys I know of an exclusive cruise line that uses a very smart grey livery that could benefit from some of that work in their galley and heads areas; not many, only 20 or so :hardhat: