Woods and Newstead.

BrundallNavy

As some of you know I have my hands full with the Broom. I decided late last year my half decker was deteriorating too much and needed some much needed TLC.

I contacted the Boat Building Training Centre in Oulton Broad to see if they might be interested in taking it on. After a few email had been exchanged I took the boat down to Oulton Broad just before Christmas so they could give it a survey to see if it was suitable.

I was pleased to learn they where willing to take it on for the next batch of students to help learn how to restore old boats.

I am pleased to report that work started last week, which involved removing the Keel and centre board case and start to strip off the deck. The work required was estimated to include but not exclusive too replacing 14 planks, fit a new hog, replace the centre board case, re-rib the entire boat, remove the deck to enable the starboard beam shelf to be replaced and fit a new rudder tube.

This work is planned to take around 2 to 3 years as it depends on courses being run and number of students.

The centre is a fascinating place with many different projects on the go and produces very high quality work.

I will update this tread as and when enough progress has been carried out.

Doug

.post-29928-0-05867700-1423079890_thumb.jpost-29928-0-31269900-1423080019_thumb.jpost-29928-0-68312600-1423079983_thumb.jpost-29928-0-65786200-1423080001_thumb.j

• Like 5

• 4 months later...

Just a quick update on the restoration of my Halfdecker.

We popped in to the IBTC today to see how things are progressing, they have removed the comings and deck and installed station frmes to hold the shape. Once this is complete a strong back will be fitted and then the boat turned upside down and the hog removed ready for a new one then the planking will be removed and 4 new planks fitted either side.

As usual some really nice boats having work undertaking including a really nice day boat that will receive a new deck.

Doug.

post-29928-0-55869400-1434995400_thumb.j

post-29928-0-50986300-1434995426_thumb.j

post-29928-0-46758100-1434995457_thumb.j

• Like 5

If you have the time & cash I can highly recommend the courses on offer at the IBTC.

The level of training is superb and the range of projects vast from repairs to new build.

The icing on the cake ...... you will meet some of the nicest and most interesting people, of all ages, from around the world.  Atter all people don't go into boat building to become rich ......

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I paid a visit to the Boat Building Collage today to check on the progress of Alert, they have fitted a new Hog and Garboard planks both sides. Hopefully the next 5 planks each side will be more straight forward then the new ribs can be fitted before the deck goes back on. The quality so far looks good so fingers crossed that the rest will be the same standard.

Doug.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2