BSS

Poppy

My boat failed on its first BSS inspection. Why? Because fuel hoses, although clearly marked 'Volvo Penta', whilst perfectly serviceable were not marked ISO 7840! 

Obviously the BSS mob know something that a multi national engine manufacturer doesn't!

Lol we had the same.. The vetus fuel lines were all braided so because they were braided they couldn't read the iso numbers? we didn't expect one...  It didn't feel very safe cutting these out and replacing with a suitable hose and hose clip though. But at least we passed...!

I would be gob smacked if modern marine engines are supplied with non-conforming quality hoses and a BSS examiner should know whether original equipment conforms or not and should pass or fail accordingly, not just because her can't see beyond the safety braiding. 

Yup we were gob smacked too.. This is all to keep the engine compartment fire proof for three minutes although surely the resins in the fiberglass would be long burning after 3 minutes?.. 

Anyways as I said at least we have the bit of paper to say we are safe?!!

I suppose these blokes have to justify their position of authority? As one who dealt with the NIC for the Electrical trade, each year they would come up with something new to catch us out! Perhaps its the same with the boat BSS.

cheers Iain.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes Ian

Its the same in machine tools also , we have had to remove 20 -80 tons of power press, just  to change parts which were deemed fine by the machine manufacturer , but now are non- conforming .

As you can imagine the press owner is not keen, especially when he hears the cost and downtime !!!!!!!

Yes Ian

Its the same in machine tools also , we have had to remove 20 -80 tons of power press, just  to change parts which were deemed fine by the machine manufacturer , but now are non- conforming .

As you can imagine the press owner is not keen, especially when he hears the cost and downtime !!!!!!!

Hi Alex, 

Thats not funny! I worked, well we were helping the engineers at a wee stamping works in Ayr many years ago when it was shut for summer holidays. Any kind of work on those type of machines is very time consuming not to mention the costs involved!

cheers Iain.

When we had Braveheart re-gelcoated at LBBY we planned to stop at that , but having purchased a new !2 volt fridge of rather large proportions ( read wine cellar) ,the galley had to be modified .

We got a call from Jason to say that the galley (which was rotten through) had fallen to pieces ! ( he did have some choice words about who picked the fridge too lol)

So began the ongoing story of her refit ....

Alex

The BSS accept outboard engines complete with manufacturers supplied fuel hose and portable fuel tank. They of course check the lines for damage and deterioration.

They also accept the cable size used for electric starting, that connects to the battery etc, even though it might be less than 25 mm2.

So shouldn't they accept the fuel lines etc on inboard engines in the same way, especially if they have CE or appropriate approval?

Provided that they have not been modified later of course.

The BSS accept outboard engines complete with manufacturers supplied fuel hose and portable fuel tank. They of course check the lines for damage and deterioration.

They also accept the cable size used for electric starting, that connects to the battery etc, even though it might be less than 25 mm2.

So shouldn't they accept the fuel lines etc on inboard engines in the same way, especially if they have CE or appropriate approval?

Provided that they have not been modified later of course.

Perhaps the consequences from a leaking fuel hose on an outboard are deemed potentially less hazardous than that of an inboard engine installation, (though agreed, it would still catch fire).

All of the outboard's fuel line is either in plain sight, or would leak overboard, rather than into the bilge, together with it's highly explosive invisible vapour.

Inboard engine fuel hose runs are fully enclosed within the hull of the boat and out of sight.

• 5 weeks later...

Nope, no need to start the engine. That could be pumping red hot steam into the wiring and belching toxic fumes into the living space but as long as your non conductive plastic petrol filler deck fitting has an earth bonding to it, even though its screwed to a wooden deck (also non conductive) and connected to the tank with (once again non conductive) rubber hose, you are compliant.

I like the BSS. The staff at Watford are very knowledgable and extremely helpful and for us old wooden boats its important to be able to be within the spirit of the BSS whilst maintaining a proper nod towards originality.

Continuity between the examiners.... now there's a whole new ball game, although the BSS office are very very eager to hear of problems in this area as they are keen to make the BSS a worthy and worthwhile part of boating.

• Like 1

JA......Watford? Methinks you mean Wayford. :naughty:  Yes some rules are a bit silly, in the electrical trade also. With plastic piping used more and more. You are still expected to earth bond plumbing pipes ;) of which many are PLASTIC! Hey ho.

cheers Iain.

JA......Watford? Methinks you mean Wayford. :naughty:  Yes some rules are a bit silly, in the electrical trade also. With plastic piping used more and more. You are still expected to earth bond plumbing pipes ;) of which many are PLASTIC! Hey ho.

cheers Iain.

Now the trend is for mono-block taps, it helps reduce the risk of electric shock.

For those not familiar with earth bonding, it helps to reduce the risk of electric shock, when placing one hand on one tap, and the other hand on the other tap, or a radiator, or shower etc and in the event of an earth fault, say the immersion heater fails, then it might be possible to make one tap live, and the other will be earth.

The error made by so called DIYers, is that some might insert lengths of plastic pipe when repairing leaks, or adding say an outside tap, thus breaking the earth, as the modern plastic pipes are push fit and don't require spanners or a blow lamp and solder.

Now the trend is for mono-block taps, it helps reduce the risk of electric shock.

For those not familiar with earth bonding, it helps to reduce the risk of electric shock, when placing one hand on one tap, and the other hand on the other tap, or a radiator, or shower etc and in the event of an earth fault, say the immersion heater fails, then it might be possible to make one tap live, and the other will be earth.

The error made by so called DIYers, is that some might insert lengths of plastic pipe when repairing leaks, or adding say an outside tap, thus breaking the earth, as the modern plastic pipes are push fit and don't require spanners or a blow lamp and solder.

However, things are not the same on the Scottish islands, or did not use to be when I worked on Arran and Mull. ALL plumbing pipes had to be copper for bonding. The reason being, its only a two wire feed into homes and cottages in the middle of nowhere, so you looped the neutral to make that your Earth. Not a job for DIY ers as Viking says. Many have 3ft copper rods knocked into the ground and bonded thus. What really tickled me was the size of earth wire you had to put through any metal conduit box, as a ringed earth system The size being 10mm!!! The Scottish Hydro Board don't like taking any risks  :naughty:

cheers Iain.

HI Iain,

"However, things are not the same on the Scottish islands, or did not use to be when I worked on Arran and Mull. ALL plumbing pipes had to be copper for bonding. The reason being, its only a two wire feed into homes and cottages in the middle of nowhere, so you looped the neutral to make that your Earth. Not a job for DIY ers as Viking says. Many have 3ft copper rods knocked into the ground and bonded thus. What really tickled me was the size of earth wire you had to put through any metal conduit box, as a ringed earth system The size being 10mm!!! The Scottish Hydro Board don't like taking any risks"

I have come across many installations in various locations over the years similar as you describe. I have debated with supply authorities when connecting our tails about the size of the earth cables, one authority wanted a 25mm earth that was linked to a 16mm neutral. As we have both said there is no rime or reason with the regulations.

Of course if there is a fault on the neutral then everything that is bonded is not always a good idea!

Plastic pipes are ok for a quick fix and in certain environments such as boats because of the vibration. The times I have spent over Christmas gluing the toys the children had played with. The only indestructible plastic I have ever come across is Leggo, the rest you can keep it.

In all honesty plastic is a pain and in the end always breaks.

Just my thoughts.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Hi Alan,

I agree up to a point, regarding plastic conduit, it has its uses tubing and wiring a garage. My knees are kanckered with bending conduits, mostly galv and mostly 20mm..... 15/16mm was a breeze to bend. Even started 25mm sometimes also ending the bend on a piece of holed joist.. No bending machings about in 1965!

cheers Iain.

• Like 1

Hi Alan,

I agree up to a point, regarding plastic conduit, it has its uses tubing and wiring a garage. My knees are kanckered with bending conduits, mostly galv and mostly 20mm..... 15/16mm was a breeze to bend. Even started 25mm sometimes also ending the bend on a piece of holed joist.. No bending machings about in 1965!

cheers Iain.

Hi Iain,

It seems we must have gone to the same school of hard knocks.

I can remember using the timber with a hole in it but it was a pain doing a dogsleg. :naughty:

My first two years of my apprenticeship I was on loan to Batchelors Foods so we tended to do some heavy installations whilst dodging the rats as big as small dogs, one ran through a set of busbars, it effected production that day made a great mess and the smell lasted for weeks. 

The joys of being in the trade.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Hi Alan,

Yup you have it in one! Now as for rats... I sent three apprentices with knock em over the head utensils up into the belfry / attic of a church in Beith we were rewiring. Why they were up there goodness knows. but the lads had to tie their overall bottoms up before going up there! I was NOT the most popular journeyman spark with the lads then, if they were with me the days my regular lads were at day release college. That is something I could discuss on here, but its too political! :norty:

All I would say, I wish they had that system back today, to give youngsters a chance of a trade, and a good living in later life.

cheers Iain.

• Like 1