Stalham has a history!

As a visitor to Stalham, and a user of the Tesco there, I wonder what affect it has had on the town.

I guess the high street has been affected, but has the fact that Tesco with it's large free car park has attracted more visitors into town?

Cars passing along the A149 may not have been tempted to divert into the town, but seeing a Tesco might help.

I wonder how many people shopping at Tesco realise there is a busy high street a short walk away and what proportion of those shoppers actually take that step.

Can more be done to promote the town from that area?

My Great Aunt lived on the Ingham Road in Stalham until she passed away in the early nineties.  She was relocated there after her bungalow in Sea Palling was badly damaged in the 1953 floods, she was actually rescued by a lifeboat from the roof!!

She worked in a mobile butchers van and at Richardson's as a boat cleaner so always knew the local gossip!!

Oh Viking23, such thin ice on which you choose to skate.

Stalham high street used to be my place of choice to shop. A wonderful green grocer, close to one of the best butchers in Broadland. The Baker was good too, all adding up to what to might be called in today's parlance "a wonderful retail experience". It was a vibrant street where pretty much anything was available and always top quality.

Like so many other places it has now been reduced to a collection of fast food takeaways and charity shops. a crying shame.

If ever there was an example of the expression "be careful what you wish for" Tesco in Stalham is it!

• Like 2

MM, I agree with your take on Stalham 100% but I know of another market town that has gone the same way and without a truly local Tesco - that is Oundle in Northants. True there is a huge Tesco some 11 miles away on the outskirts of Peterborough and maybe that has not helped; but it is hardly up the road.

I remember Stalham in the 70s when I lived on its outskirts. It was as you say a vibrant town that had everything. It is certainly not that now, although I still believe it has a nice feel. But is it really Tesco's fault or would it have happened anyway. There are supermarkets and out of town shopping centres all around us so if the mountain called Tesco had not come to the people of Stalham would not the people of Stalham have gone to the mountain?

The one thing that I have to watch at Tescos at Stalham is attempting to reverse out from any of the disabled bays. Its like a race track in that car park, know one stops to let you out! :norty:

cheers Iain

Absolutely. It has got to be one of the worst designed car parks I have used. In fact the entire access to that Tesco leaves a lot to be desired. Which is why, despite living in Potter, we go to either Yarmouth or Blue Boar - usually the latter. :rolleyes:

Ooh a bit of a change in direction on this post (as is normal here :naughty: ).

With an open mind and liking the convenience of supermarkets (especially the home delivery) I can see the good and bad sides of these. Home delivery as someone who works away all week and a wife who works full time and doesn't want to spend Saturday buying tins of beans etc when I could be on the boat or fishing, but also my in-laws use it who are both disabled.

I do have to thank Tesco for many good holidays though thanks to their club card scheme. Before they limited how many points you could trade in for holiday vouchers we had a few very nice and very cheap (should have been very expensive) holidays on them. We do still use the local butchers and fishmongers, but sadly dont have a greengrocer local.

And for a holiday later this year with Avios points for the flights purchased with said clubcard points.

Our local town is dying a death, but mainly due to the owner of most of the properties hiking up rents or not renewing leases - I am guessing so he can turn the shops into housing estates, but only time will tell. 

I do agree that sometimes you can have too much of a good thing in some towns though, but most of that is down to turf wars and no doubt greed (but that's what they are designed to do - make money).

And lets face it a lot of people like the fact the competition keeps the prices down - although I do have concerns about what it does to the suppliers as we have all heard the bad sides of the buying teams in these orgs. 

Got to take the good with the bad.

I bet this parks a bit of controversy? :party:  :party:

As Tesco affects Stalham, Tesco also affects our local town Lichfield.

We used to never visit Lichfield to shop, as parking was 90p per hour, and they even charge on Sundays and bank holidays. There are other local towns that are just as local, that we use with free parking.

However, now we have a huge Tesco, we can use the car park to visit both Tesco and the local shops in town, and enjoy the free parking. 50 yards from Tesco is an Aldi, a mile radius is a Lidl, a Morrisons, a Waitrose, but strangely no Asda.

Tesco is the nearest one to the town centre and there is a lot of foot traffic too and from the car park.

• Like 1