Pullpit or Not?

As many of you know I now own a Birchwood 25, one of the things I don't like about the boat is it has an all round pullpit! like the one in this picture, unfortunately mine tatty, leaks at all the deck fittings and the anodising has gone, plus the main thing for me is as the side decks are pretty narrow just working on the boat in the marina I've had a few near misses getting on and off the side of the boat, I've now removed one half of it and filled all the holes it left, but I'm now wondering whether to replace it with a smaller stainless one or not fit one at all! for some reason after all these years I can't see the point in them apart from they add a bit of bling, apart from the Hampton all my other boats had the and on every one I've had near misses where I've nearly gone in the water, What are your views Yes or No??

Frank,,,

post-39-0-52855700-1430836139_thumb.jpg

Hi Frank, when we were selling the last boat someone didn't come to look because the pullpit wasnt stainless (it was the original mild steel). Personally I like the look of stainless pullpits too.

My parents boat doesn't have a traditional one but instead it has a single bar in the centre, like a pilot boat. It does make mooring up easier not having the standard pullpit but it's still nice to have something to hold on to. Whilst its yours do what you prefer although when you come to sell it you may need to install one :(

cheers

On the canals, you often see pulpits all bent up on GRP boats, as most overhang the bow by more than 6" . Normans were famous for this.

On the Broads, not a major problem, but contacting a solid lock gate at speed soon makes them impersonate Kermit the Frog sucking a lemon lol.

However, the bow fender was in perfect condition, as it rarely contacted anything.

From our pulpit hangs two white acrylic boards that hold the toll stickers and id No.

A pulpit can get in the way of deploying and recovering a mud weight, but is a last resort grab hold, should you slip on the foredeck.

If you have a bathtub type with a forward cockpit, then a pulpit would have no great benefit, but if a flat foredeck, then some hand hold would be a good safety feature.

In my opinion of course.

• Like 1

Iain! trust you to make a comment like that, but believe it or not I am actually a fully Ordained Minister thought I can only perform Marriages or Funerals with the permission of the minister of the Church where it's to be held, you would never believe it if you met me but it dates back to when I used to teach Spiritualism and being Ordained was part of the requirements for me to teach, but back the the boat pullpit! seems most are in favour, but I still can't find a good reason to replace mine, perhaps i'm trying to talk myself out of spending £3/400 on something I see no use for apart from in my case tripping over the thing when getting on and off the boat, I think what I may do, is remove the other half of it and finish all the repairs to the deck, then leave it a few months to see how the boat looks and what if any comments I get about no pullpit, if I come across a decent second hand one I may still fit one before, so thanks for the input

Frank,,,,,,,

• Like 1

Removing something like this creates a series of holes in the deck that need propper filling and finishing. Anything other than a good job will look pretty poor quite quickly, ESPECIALLY if the fixings were though a tread pattern as you are unlikley to ever match this and make the filling invisible.

One option for this problem is to have a fabricator make a series of stainless steel discs that you can place over the job and seal with a marine silicone. You could also use discs of fibreglass.

• Like 1

Mmm! just you and me then Griff, I can understand the full length one on the Birchwood as I believe they are classed as an Estuary Cruiser, just as My Seamasters were but I've always wondered why Broads cruisers have them, it's not likely I'm going to be chucking out a mudweight or anchor in heavy weather,,

Andy! they are each held on with triangular fixings with three bolts and the nuts were glassed in by the manufacturer, what I did was fill the holes with resin, then Dremmel some out and gelcoat over them, most are invisable/ish, matched the gelcoat but the new stuff is a little lighter than the old so you can see it if you look closely, one of each fixing is in the deck tread, at first after sanding them was getting flat spots, but after a bit of planning a being very carefull I found if I go lightly with the Dremmel and a diamond point I could hide the flat spots as it's a pretty random pattern, not perfect but you have to look hard to see the repair,,

Frank,,,,

Sorry but I fall firmly in the "get rid" camp. These things were designed to get in the way when moving the boat using the ropes, to always have the rope under them when you need it over, and vice verse and to tangle with any branches that have the audacity to grow within 200 metres of where your boat is ever likely to be.

Apart from that, they're fine!

Maurice! all of those things bug me about this all round pullpit and every one I've ever had, I moor single handed as Judi can't swim so on all my boats I've run a rope from the bow along the deck and into the cockpit, allowing me to step off with both ropes, with this set up now, i'd have to run it along the outside of the pullpit meaning the rope would be hanging at the side of the boat with the risk of the weight dragging it out of the cockpit, it's to short to foul the prop but not ideal to only have the stern rope when I moor up, as the pullpit is past saving I did think about getting a shorter one, but on thinking about it in all these years I've never found a real use for one apart from they sort of look good but serve no purpose,,

Frank,,,

Hi Frank, I'm also with the do without brigade... we have rails that are on the top of the forward cabin roof which are handy to hold onto and let's us run the bow ropes down both sides without being caught up or wrapped around the pulpit rail... Also as the Mrs has found make excellent clothes line.

Now there's a thought Steve! I could hang Judi's knickers from the grabrails and turn myself into a saily! enter the 3RR and finish in record time, :naughty:

at the moment I'm seeing more cons to having the pullpit so the plan is leave it off, I have plenty of grabrails and the only time I really go on the foredeck is to chuck a mudweight out once in a blue moon, was going to fly my NBN flag from it, but now I'll just move it to the cabin roof on a short pole, thanks everyone for the input,,,

Frank,,, 

Frank, you have my sincerest apologies, it was but tongue in cheek. In that case get rid if it, its no use for performing marriage ceremonies  :naughty: I have only had two hire boats with the rail and found them a hindrance throwing out the mudweight.

cheers Iain

Crikey Iain your stronger than I thought if you throw mud weights around :dance  :dance

You could try the gentle lowering of it into the water or do you like to make sure it sinks well in the mud? :naughty:  :naughty:

Guess with no cabers to toss on the broads you have keep in practice with something!

Mind you dont burn those bow thrusters out if you keep playing with - it will make you go blind :norty:  :norty:  In this weather I bet they have come in handy after all the stick you got.

• Like 3

Hi Mark,

Indeed the thrusters toys have come in very handy indeed, including the ELECTRIC MUDWEIGHT :naughty:  My days of chucking that dollop of molten metal are now far gone lol 

cheers Iain

Hi Iain,

I wondered how you would get on the mud weight.

I hope you are safe and out of the wind, lets hope that it gets better in the week for you.

Enjoy yourselves.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Iain,

You will be telling us you have the electric blanket as well with you :naughty:  

Scoot must be feeling very left out with your new toys?

Even I am not brave enough to ask the crew to put him on terra firma. This dampness aint doing my arthritis any favours  :norty:

cheers Iain