Recent rise in boat crime

Wildfuzz

Yes it is that time of year again when outboards and other property seems to grow legs and wander from boats and moorings.
Perhaps it is a timely reminder to all to check our security, have a look at your boat and see just how easy it is to remove items. if you can do it i am sure those taking less care will do so far easier.
Whilst we cannot stop someone hell bent on taking our posessions, perhaps we can make it less easy, lock your outboard, remove valuables, and keep photos and serial numbers of all valuable items.
If you are an unfortunate victim, please report the matter, the crime may not get solved, however it may show a crime pattern which can be targetted.

As ever Paul and Ish on Broads Beat will be happy to offer advice, and those engine covers for outboards are still available from Hoveton.

Enjoy your season and see you on the water.

Anyone who is interested in tracker systems could do worse than check "Ninja Tracking Systems". Obviously i have no affiliation to them but it is self contained and user friendly. Anything we can do to make life more difficult for the criminal fraternity the better.

Some timely advice.

The first step owners should take is to ensure the most secure and suitable anti-theft device for their particular engine and boat is installed. In some local constabularies police have introduced branded engine covers which are fitted instead of the standard factory supplied cowling. This acts as a deterrent as a thief would then be forced to buy a new cowling, thereby drawing attention to themselves and arousing suspicion. Any engine that can be removed easily is an obvious target for thieves and, given the growing scale of the problem, many owners are deciding to fit more than one anti-theft device. Obviously the more visibly secure an engine is, the less likely it is that a thief will attempt to take it. Given the poor rates of recovery success, prevention is definitely better than cure and not only for this reason but also because if a loss does occur it may affect the price of future insurance premiums.

Owners should also ensure that their insurance policy wording relating to anti-theft devices are complied with in full to avoid the possibility of a claim being invalidated due to failure to comply with all policy wordings. Owners should further ensure that all serial numbers are recorded as this information will be required by insurers and the police in the event of a theft. It is also worth bearing in mind that claims made on marine policies for outboard motors are paid on an indemnity basis as unfortunately there is no provision or entitlement to a new-for-old settlement.

Further security measures include marking the engine somewhere with your own unique mark such as a post code and also taking photographs

Technological advances in recent years have made motion-activated surveillance cameras (MASC) very discrete and inexpensive to buy and install. These automatically photograph and/or record any movement and wireless cameras have made surveillance possible in remote areas where it was not in the past. There are a range of general purpose MASC’s that can be used although not all will have adjustable sensitivity or be suitable to mount directly on a boat, although these may be suitable for shore mounted use.

There are also a range of marine specific infra-red, solar powered and time-lapse video security cameras available. When storing a boat ashore consideration should be given to general security, such as lighting and ensuring that recorded CCTV covers the appropriate part of the yard being used.

Boat and yard owners should also be vigilant, particularly during autumn and winter months when dark nights begin to set in.

Finally there is some evidence of smaller engines being stolen from boats while they are afloat, so a collective effort is required by all concerned to be observant and alert and to report any suspicious activity immediately to the police.

Stuart

• Like 9

Welcome Stuart.Great to see you on THE forum!

It will be good to be updated on the efforts of yourself and your colleagues and to provide a timely reminder that it is not one sided. On two sides actually. One that these people in the fullness of time, will be caught, and secondly this will come about much sooner with the help and co-operation of the boating fraternity.

• Like 2

Hi Stuart, a very warm welcome aboard from me, although I don't own a boat on the Broads yet I am sure our members that do appreciate your excellent advice. Good luck to you in your fight to stop these creatures from causing boat owners anxiety and heartbreak at the loss or/and destruction of their property, you get my vote

Grace

p,s We/I do require a photo of you in uniform so we will be able to recognise you, thankyou  :naughty:

• Like 4

Thanks for the advice Stuart. It's good to have you on the forum! 

I'm hoping you can find the time to share more details of your tasks on the broads. We are all very nosy :)

If you and your colleagues can keep a close eye on my boat down south I'd be very grateful!! 

cheersbar

Grace lol what are you like!  :norty:

• Like 1

I will endevour to post relevant items to assist all the forum members, I am also a Wild life crime investigator if any issues arise.

As for the uniform request you will appreciate not everyone is pro police and as an open forum I will respectfully decline the request. Rest assured Norfolk constabulary are taking all steps possible, however the very nature of the crimes and especially the location make investigation problematic, hence my request for any information no matter how small be referred to us.

Thank you for the warm welcome.

• Like 8

no ignore too busy at mo trying to work hard to keep all together and keep every one off me back ................

not a lot of time for forums or rite ups ................

its a wig ...............actulaay dog hair .....................will change profile pics soon agin to sum thnag else 

• Like 5