Scotch.

Poppy

• 2 weeks later...

I met the Quality Assurance manager from Johnnie Walkers once upon a time.  He informed me that, after the over-proof whisky has matured in bulk in the bonded warehouse, it is "let down" to 40% by addition of water.  I naively asked whether the distillery had a special spring of pure water,   filtered through peat and bubbling out of the ground, but was put right when he told me that they used Kilmarnock mains water.  I don't particularly like Johnnie Walkers and this may be the reason, but I wonder how many other distillers follow the same practice.

cheers

Steve

There are also some jolly nice irish whiskies as well. Midletons and a few from bushmills if you can get them. One they only sell at the distillery

Black Bushmills is as near a guid Scotch Malt I have tasted Mark. Nae wonder am on Becks Blue 0% Biers now  :naughty:

cheers Iain

Iain,

I have to say that all the whiskies mentioned are good in my book. Although not tried the Welsh ones yet. It's on the bucket list.

I bought several from bushmills when we visited and all very nice.

We also visited a few of the speyside distilleries many years ago and bought quite a lot of those as well.

Honest I'm not an alcoholic! Hic

I guess I will at some point be joining you on the Danish blue

• Like 1

If ever you go up to the Highlands, boating in the Great Glen, alongside the Locks at Fort Augustus you will find the eponymous public house, which upon it's shelves has row after row of great Scotch Whiskys. When we first went that way we assigned a "passage crew" to see the boat through the first half of the flight, whilst we retired to the pub. We were due to take over when they passed the pub, which is roughly half way up.

Sadly, the lure of the Whiskys, some costing manys tens of pounds a nip took over, and tied to the boat the other half of the crew could do little about it. We were not popular for the rest of that day, and pretty broke for the rest of the week!

• Like 3

I have sampled, and been very impressed with Japanese whisky. Very smooth, well structured and satisfying, but the best bargain I ever had was in the state liquor stores in New Hampshire, where you could buy 1.75 litres of decent quality Canadian whisky for $17.99 which, when I was there 10 years ago was equivalent to £9.

cheers

Steve

• Like 1

Highland malt whiskies for me.

Lighter in colour, like Dalwhinnie.

As with most malts, best served neat, a little water can bring out the taste, but never... never add a mixer to a good malt... aghhh... should be against the law lol.

If you want to have a mixer, then any cheap whisky or whiskey will do.

Now, if you don't like whisky, or Drambuie, then try this...

Any standard whisky mixed 50/50 with drambuie, and a couple of ice cubes...

Excellent, my wife hates both individually, but loves the mix.

This drink is better known as a Rusty Nail.

Warning.... can contain a high volume of alcohol, as both are neat.

Drink sensibly of course, and don't drive whilst under the influence... and that includes boats too.

• Like 2

Drambuie is a liquer not a pure Malt,a bit like Glayva, both have one major downfall, they are VERY moreish! When we were on the Broads, we did bring some local tap water in a bottle to make ice, purely for the Glenmorangie. Well with the prospects of an "Admiral !" coming aboard,things had to be spot on. One or two pieces of ice does bring out the flavour of Malt, but not essential.

Having done many whisky trails, I found it fascinating how just a few miles apart the flavour could be so different, this it largely due to the filtration of the water through the peats or lack of them. I personally do not like the Islay Malts like Talisker etc , to me they remind me of iodine! Any Speyside Malt should have a slight sweetness to the tip of your tongue as an after burn. 

Right then, i've typed about it, now go find a nice one and enjoy it to the full! :)

cheers Iain

Never use ice - ruins it!!

I tried taking some water from the Bure, but it was disgusting :dance  :dance

Not having a chalk stream or peat filtered brook running through my estate (when I say estate....), I have started to use filtered water to at least get the chemical taste out of the water.  

I have to agree the Speyside or highland malts are my preference. Some of the peaty ones are like sucking on coal (not that I have tried that either).

• Like 1

Hi Mark,

Yes, never down south ice, agreed ruins the taste completely. But, if you are up my way, with very soft water, it does add another dimension to it.

Sadly for me tonight, its a 0% chilled Radlers, with Veg Pakora and Lamb Bhoona delivered. Well, I am watching England trying to play cricket just now!  :naughty:

cheers Iain