Speeding

Wehlau

At  the end of the day the likely outcome is that the boatyard will do bugger all.

Do they ever I wonder ?

I would think that if the boat was from from one of the smaller yards there would be a lot more action!

As long as the cash keeps flowing....................

At  the end of the day the likely outcome is that the boatyard will do bugger all.

Do they ever I wonder ?

I would think that if the boat was from from one of the smaller yards there would be a lot more action!

As long as the cash keeps flowing....................

Troutman, I think that that is unfair, at least in the case of Herbert Woods.

There does seem to be an assumption, misplaced in my opinion, and most common amongst owners that hire yards, especially the bigger ones take the booking, bank the cash, chuck the customer on the boat send them on their way and couldn't give two hoots what happens afterwards. I think that is very unfair. I don't know of any boatyard that isn't concerned what is happening to their boats, which after all are a valuable business asset and responsible for providing the company it's income.

I've hired from Richardsons, Herbert Woods and Barnes Brinkcraft, three of the biggest yards (as well as many, many smaller ones over thirty odd years) and never have I come across that attitude. They may have a more regimented system for doing things but I have never left a hire yard without that yard being confident of my ability to use the boat properly, both in terms of helming and maintenance.

The response from Herbert Woods demonstrates the yards concern over the use of boats whilst out on hire but the key point is Amanda's comment that they are reliant on we, the public at large to make them aware of any misdemeanours so that they can act.

• Like 1

we have spent the last two years trying to sort out the absolute disregard for the speed on the lower Bure.we are new to the Norfolk broads but come from a long boating back ground and this sort of behaviour is unacceptable and destructive.we have had false promises from the police and the Rangers do not actually range this far down.last year we were hit and the guy told my wife to f??k off as he shot off at high speed.and can you believe we were hit head on at 06.30 in the morning,after the paramedic finished with them and the wrecked boat towed away the guy told me he his son spilt a drink so he left the wheel to sort him.

That is the reason (or one of the reasons) we now do our boating elsewhere. And we live in Norfolk!

• Like 1

Interesting topic, and it would appear from the video to be reckless behaviour indeed; passing so close to a moored vessel at that speed, passing between that vessel and the other moving vessel at high speed, overtaking on the wrong side, the two moving vessels effectively blocking the river to vessels coming in the other direction ...  I share the outrage and I am of the personal opinion that the person(s) involved should be prosecuted if an offence can be proven.

However, I've just realised where this happened, and "speeding"?  Hmm ....

The Speed Limit Byelaws define the speed limits for the various sections of the rivers and broads.  Reading from those byelaws, in Schedule One, speed limits are identified along the Bure, beginning at Horstead Mill and proceeding downstream.  This is the last entry in the schedule, defining the lowest section of the Bure to be the subject of a speed limit: 

"9.6km/h (6mph) Stracey Arms to Great Yarmouth - From 402 metres (a quarter of a mile) downstream of the Stracey Arms projecting quay to the point where the boundary between Caister Parish and Great Yarmouth crosses the left bank of the River Bure."

This map shows the boundary between Caister Parish and Great Yarmouth

http://www.fleggisland.co.uk/Villages.html

Thank you Herbert Woods your actions are much appreciated.

Obviously you cannot control what your hirers do after they have taken the boat and there will always be idiots hiring from all the boatyards.

Thankfully the vast majority of hirers are responsible people.