Speeding

Wehlau

You can find the video here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/785936721494266/

I don't have any problem with people sharing such videos, as long as they have also reported such to the Broads Authority and use the video as evidence, if it was the case this was simply captured shared and then prompts debate about it then that in my opinion is not the way about things.

If there is an issue of speeding on the lower Bure then the more often such incidents are reported to the Broads Authority the more they can do to catch offenders such as setting up speed traps like often is the case at the moorings at St. Benet's - furthermore it might be any idea for boatyards to have a note saying such and such a boat was caught speeding and as a result the hirers were prosecuted - this could be you, think twice sort of thing.

• Like 2

Geez I just saw this, this is unacceptable.. Looking at the comments it appears it will be followed up. There's no excuse for racing through there like that.  I'd say certainly report them to the BA. cheers

You can find the video here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/785936721494266/

I don't have any problem with people sharing such videos, as long as they have also reported such to the Broads Authority and use the video as evidence, if it was the case this was simply captured shared and then prompts debate about it then that in my opinion is not the way about things.

If there is an issue of speeding on the lower Bure then the more often such incidents are reported to the Broads Authority the more they can do to catch offenders such as setting up speed traps like often is the case at the moorings at St. Benet's - furthermore it might be any idea for boatyards to have a note saying such and such a boat was caught speeding and as a result the hirers were prosecuted - this could be you, think twice sort of thing.

we have spent the last two years trying to sort out the absolute disregard for the speed on the lower Bure.we are new to the Norfolk broads but come from a long boating back ground and this sort of behaviour is unacceptable and destructive.we have had false promises from the police and the Rangers do not actually range this far down.last year we were hit and the guy told my wife to f??k off as he shot off at high speed.and can you believe we were hit head on at 06.30 in the morning,after the paramedic finished with them and the wrecked boat towed away the guy told me he his son spilt a drink so he left the wheel to sort him.

OMG this is outrageous and I am glad they have been reported. 

They came past us yesterday evening after just picking up there boats from Herbert Woods, even then they were going to fast and I was banging on the window and waving my arms to tell them to slow down but of course they just didn't see me, even if I had of been outside they wouldn't of heard me shouting because the engine roar was to loud.  Our boat and many around were bobbing up and down for ages.  

Herbert Woods are normally very good at getting there boats back and cutting people's holidays short if they get phone calls to say people are abusing there boats,  I have done this before and they are grateful at being told. 

We need more patrols down here at Potter as it seems to be getting worse.

Maxine  

• Like 1

This is totally shocking, imagine if they had done this passing a smaller boat with a family onboard, a baby sat on mums knee and a hot cup of coffee on the table nearby. Its reckless behaviour and I hope they are dealt with. They just spoil it for people who know how to behave and theres more and more of this being reported of late. Idiots like them just make boating stressful.......and breath

• Like 2

As already said, get these people off of the river.

The BA, Broads Beat in conjunction with the hire company should cut their holiday short and hit them where it hurts, in their pockets.

With luck they will go and disrupt holiday makers elsewhere hopefully away from any waterways.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Also passed a moving boat on the wrong side too.

Mind you yesterday we were on the Bure close to St Bennets, and a Richo craft, travelling at speed, tried to pass our boat between us, and the bank. We were only 3-4 metres from the bank too.

Had he continued, he could have damaged his boat, as he would have to be scraping the bank to get past.

A blast of the horn in his direction, and a positive wave, soon directed him to the correct side of the river.

I think they had just taken over the boat, and couldn't work out that driving on the right, means overtaking on the left. I will give him the benefit of the doubt, and not mention the boat name. So, is there anywhere in the hire documentation that says which side you should overtake?

I have had hire boats overtake on the right, one dayboat even scraped along the bank and under my boom. Unfortunately some hirers are advised that if they stick to the right hand bank they can't go wrong, and stick to the right hand bank they do, come hell or high water!

I have had hire boats overtake on the right, one dayboat even scraped along the bank and under my boom. Unfortunately some hirers are advised that if they stick to the right hand bank they can't go wrong, and stick to the right hand bank they do, come hell or high water!

That might explain it.

• Like 1

Absolutely appalling, I hope they throw the book at him.  I dread to think what would have happened if this had been at How Hill or Instead.  We have seen plenty of speeding boats in our time but nothing like that.

I usually find day boats are the worst at overtaking on the wrong side, especially between Wroxham and Horning, and the problem is you quite often can't see them until they are right alongside.

IMHO The rights and wrongs of who did what and when and why is not really a suitable topic for this platform.

I understand the relevant authorities were informed (this is the correct action) so I feel it serves no good purpose to post this footage here, it merely encourages a trial by forum debate.

I hope this forum will avoid the name & shame culture, directed at perceived wrong dooers, encouraged by the proliferation of digital cameras. It is an invasion of privacy and often the footage/image does not fairly represent the whole story.

Our lives are already recorded by many "spy" cameras without having to watch out for the curtain twitchers,

• Like 2

IMHO The rights and wrongs of who did what and when and why is not really a suitable topic for this platform.

I understand the relevant authorities were informed (this is the correct action) so I feel it serves no good purpose to post this footage here, it merely encourages a trial by forum debate.

I hope this forum will avoid the name & shame culture, directed at perceived wrong dooers, encouraged by the proliferation of digital cameras. It is an invasion of privacy and often the footage/image does not fairly represent the whole story.

Our lives are already recorded by many "spy" cameras without having to watch out for the curtain twitchers,

I have to disagree. I think that this platform is an ideal vehicle to demonstrate that this type of behaviour will not be tolerated and that you will be held accountable.

As for trial by forum I have to agree with you completely. However, in this particular instance, it was such a blatant disregard of everything that we hold dear of our appreciation of the broads that the comments are in my opinion justified.

As for the intrusion of cameras I once again have to agree in general with your comments, what can be done to protect innocent peoples privacy I really don't know.

• Like 3

No, sorry smellyloo, I can't quite agree with you there. This is as good a place to show such footage and air our views on it as this achieves several positive results, or at least has the potential to do so.

First, on the face of it we have a speeding boat passing a moored vessel or several moored vessels.

If that is the situation then there is justifiable outrage.

Should we subsequently find out that the boat in question was rushing to a place where an air ambulance was waiting to pick up a casualty on board that boat, then I have no doubt all here will say "We didn't know, but that explains it and all is forgiven."

One has to be careful with "trial by forum" but it isn't to be thrown out, any more than any other form of "public display of what is acceptable".

In this case it was almost certainly a group of people disregarding the rules. and for that there should be consequences.

• Like 5