Beyond Bishops Bridge

We go up as far as the weir once a year by rib.  Best to go during the closed fishing season - otherwise there are a surprising number of fishermen and they get a bit snotty even if you stick to the opposite bank.

Best way to see Norwich - fascinating architecture and oodles of history.

• Like 1

If you are in a hire boat and not able to go any further than the yacht station why not take the delightful walk from Foundry Bridge (opposite the railway station) go over the bridge and walk along the bank. You will not be disappointed. Past the playing fields, and you will find yourself in the heart of old Norwich. The Cathedral and grounds await you, Elm Hill and Tombland

Explore the delights of this ancient city not far from where your boat is moored.

• Like 2

If you are in a hire boat and not able to go any further than the yacht station why not take the delightful walk from Foundry Bridge (opposite the railway station) go over the bridge and walk along the bank. You will not be disappointed. Past the playing fields, and you will find yourself in the heart of old Norwich. The Cathedral and grounds await you, Elm Hill and Tombland

Explore the delights of this ancient city not far from where your boat is moored.

Could not agree more, we have done it many times over the years. Elm Hill all lit up at night is really nice to see. The Cathedral is one of the best we have been in too.

I just wish they had not moved the old Mustard Shop.

cheers Iain.

I know it seems everybodies goal to travel every inch of Broadlands rivers but it really is better to discover this part of Norwich on foot, as mentioned above.

So much to see and when weary so many places to eat & drink.

• Like 2

In the early years of that infamous "Scottish" restaurant arriving in the UK, Norwich had one near The Bells pub? (From memory across from the old rear entry to Littlewoods) Anyway, after sampling the resteraunts fayre we spent the rest of the evening checking out the many hostleries en route back to the Yacht Station. This I can highly recommend, just omit McDs!  :naughty:

cheers Iain.

• Like 1

On that section you also have the river punts base. Never seen one on the river though.

When getting close to the mill at the end of the basin, turn early, a few hundred metres before the end, as it is very weedy, and shallow in places.

Having said that, you can clearly see the debris and the weed so keep a look out.

You pass very close to a pub balcony, under a bridge, where the punters are within arms reach of your boat, so have something funny to say, but be aware... you also have to come back past them lol...

Best to arm yourself with a drink before you pass them, and share a toast, always good banter with them each time we have passed. It also makes their day to have a riverside seat with boats on the river too.

We also form part of the broadland scenery.

A nice section of river, with some interesting buildings, and bridges but go slow 2mph is a nice speed on that section and watch out for anglers, in season of course.

Nowhere really suitable for mooring though, so really a trip up, turn around and a slow cruise back again.

To boldly go, where no Hire craft has gone before.

That's what makes this special.

I thought of going through last week but I don't have the guts (Water depth wise) even with two depth sounders. Plus I can't get any details on bridge heights and at 8.6 I'm not sure how far we would get  (anyone know what the bridge heights are like?). cheers

• Like 1

Well we went yesterday, it was should I say a tad nervy as in over 40 years holidaying on the broads never been beyond the yacht station. On approaching bishops bridge I was a tad anxious as. its arched and all the research Ive done said it had a clearance 10' 6"and as it was it was at about 1/2 hour after low water with our 7'10" air draft it was a doddle  no height gauge though. All the bridges bar one up there also were minus height boards. But what a wonderful experience its like another world up there. I must say even with the water low we encountered no problems from any thing except the long river buses it is how ever rather weedy but the centre was clear. One word of warning even though we was going at 1.7mph as was nervous for the legs that hangs a fair bit below the hull. The river buses go along at a fair speed from the playhouse to the yacht station? also one small broom boat doing about 10-15mph round a sharp blind left hand bend. We will do it again but maybe out of fishing season, that said it amazed me the amount of people fishing up there out of season. Alan if you pm me an email that will take attachments i'll send you my bridge heights including those above Bishops bridge that ive compiled over the years.

Charlie

PS i did turn where they turned in that video as beyond that it did look rather dubious.

• Like 1

Hi Charlie, glad you made the trip. It's definitely worth going along at least once. I wouldn't suggest anyone going further than where I turned in the video as the currents will just push a boat sideways, plus A lot of trolleys etc are dumped where it widens.

Surprised how blatantly people are fishing but I guess if they fish out of season, they probably never buy a license. Branden :)

• Like 1

Well good point about the licences Brandon, think your right there. But yes I have to admit we will be doing it again, but will be able to take a lot more in as it wont be so nervy. But the big long broads bus (tour) surprised me being up there, where do they turn that ?