Annoying

CaptinDread

Mark,

Speaking from a position of no knowledge and no authority ...

The ladders are safety equipment, so I would say they should never be covered.  I suppose that if you have a swim ladder on the river side you could argue that you were providing the equivalent; but I wouldn't want to be the one at the inquest explaining why someone didn't get out of the water!

There are normally no mooring signs on the quay heading by the safety ladders. The placement of ladders does seem a bit hit and miss and doesn't always promote the best use of space. I don't know for certain, but would guess that whatever marine or harbour code that specifies ladders as good practise, also specifies how far apart they should be as a maximum. therefore placing them at either end of a mooring may exceed this leading to the need for a third ladder in the middle and therefore more cost. Cheaper therefore to locate them the required distance apart and managing to get away with only two ladders, even if it leaves small gaps near the end.

Not a definitive answer Mark, but a best guess.

• Like 1

Hi Mark,

Knowing my leg condition when we arrived at the Norwich YS, I did moor next to one of the ladders, as the tide was so low, my crew could not get off the boat. 

However, we were asked politely by the BA lad on duty, to move the boat away from said ladder, as they are for emergencies only. He kindly helped me get the boat as close as was safe to the lower concrete quay so "Scoot" could get off easier.

So in a long winded reply, yes do not moor in front of said ladders, is the answer, well so the BA said. ;)

cheers Iain.

just a loaner outboard till I get one sorted Charlie, I got a wet **** as it had been raining and there was 3 inches of water in the dinghy, Still had a smile on my face....

I've now constructed a crude seat so I don't have to sit on the floor of the dinghy and get a wet ****.

• Like 2

Iain at least he helped you move the boat along.

Could have been a jobsworth and left you to it.

Mark he took one look at the lump on my leg, I think was enough to help. He did of course ask for the £12.50p. as soon as he tied the last rope up! :naughty:

cheers Iain.

It's £8:50 at Beccles stern on. Free water though!!!

I was also surprised as I thought they had leccy points there.

Deffo lecky points at Beccles, Mark. Moonlight Shadow was on a post next to me in May.

cheers Iain.

There are only electric points at Beccles Yacht Station on the office/information side, these are in the form of short street lighting bases that are coloured black, I think there are three in total, each one has a channel to put the cables through so there are no cables on the path to trip over.

Regards

Alan

cheers everyone.

If you see me moored by one please don't ask me to move along.

I know a lot of people do still moor over them if that's the only space that's left though.

Please please please do NOT  obstruct these safety ladders.

People fall into to the rivers and occassionally drown, particularly if they can't scramble up a bank aka Norwich.

If you are unfortunate enough to know the family of a victim you will know how devasting it can be ...... these ladders can save that happening to somebody else.

Edited to offer appology to baitrunner,

I just re read your post and realise I have misinterpreted your post. I am sorry for the implied slur.

Hi

Another annoyance, to me, happened yesterday on returning to our home moorings.

Coming across Sutton Broad a boat was just ahead of us, so being kind I slowed up a bit to give him space for when he moored up. I was running at 3.4mph on the GPS. Half way across I thought he had enough space so popped back up to 4mph. Behind me had been a Ferry Marine hire boat which had followed me closely across. But not a hundred yards from the entrance to the moorings Dyke he darted out from behind and opened up to over take me into the moorings :evil: !!! I was still at 4mph, so to get in first he went well over that :eek: .

I smile internally and thought 'You inconsiderate person' but hay ho. He did actually grab the last mooring space at the end and when we got to the turning space next to him, he grind as if to say up your's. I smiled sweetly  :taunt: as I made the turn into our mooring basin  and our empty mooring spot.

But had I been looking to moor on the staithe I'd have been very unhappy indeed. No place for such poor manners.

Rant over.

Back to being chilled :teddy: .

John. 

• Like 4

cheers guys.

I was on the park side and couldn't see the posts as a few boats were in the way.

Did surprise me as I thought they had some posts - will remember to book the other side next time - although we didn't need it for just the one night. 

I'll just tell the B.A. about this post so they can follow it up as this will be the second night on a mooring due to these inconsiderate boaters tonight at Bramerton.

I did ask if they could move their boat up, he just shrugged his shoulders. I could get in there.

So I turned the boat round and he was still sitting there.

/KoVurt-Design/NBN/idiot1_zpswlyzdk65.png

Edited by Hockham Admiral
We don't publicly name and shame Jasper.