gps query

Hi all.not really broads related but boat techy all the same.

Just ordered a new iPhone.

Got an old cheapy smart phone surplus to requirements which I'm going to leave on the boat because of its GPS capabilities. Also have non GPS tablet.

Now the dumb question!

If i tether the phone to the tablet will the tablet receive the GPS data from the phone?

Bigger screen obviously so more usable/practical.

Thoughts please? Thankyou

Apparently so but you will need an app..: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bricatta.GPSTetherServer_FE&hl=en(If it's an apple phone then no idea ;) )

I'm not sure how reliable it will be though (Not to mention the need to keep both devices charged) .. I'd suggest you at least get a GPS tablet.. (Most tablets even the ones out of china now have GPS so for £50 - £60 you will have an android one which won't require the tether.)

cheers

I do a lot of shopping from the Chinese market but would not recommend the tablets. Build quality is very poor. They even make iPad's look good (if that's possible). You can pick up a kosher, EU approved and certified branded tablet from Argos and the likes for less than £70 and enjoy such luxuries as a manufacturers warranty and local returns.

• Like 1

Not for broads use,I can generally find my way around ok! This would be more for coastal cruising,Norfolk,Suffolk and Essex coasts. Have got full set of imray charts(this years!) and the gps would only be for confirming my somewhat dodgy navigation.budget is tight(as always) and this was considered as the most cost effective solution at moment. The boat is a fairly new-to-me acquisition and I've tried not to skimp on any safety related items, but that has left the pot a bit empty

I will try and find out what a friend of mine uses. Not sure what tablet and App he uses but I am sure it wasn't expensive.

Not sure I would want to rely on a tablet at sea though. Although if your in coastal waters in good visibility with a chart, compass and sounder you should be pretty safe.